Which replacement 1101 should I go with

norm02

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for an Autolite 1101 for my '66 Ford Bronco. I've seen them for sale at Champion Carburetor and Autozone also carries them. I'm trying to figure out if there's any reason to go with the $300 one from Champion or the $162 one from Autozone.

I've pasted links to both Carburetors below so please check them out and let me know if you've had experience with either of them and if there's any reason to spend $140 more for the one from Champion. Not looking to cheap out on the vehicle but don't want to waste money either. Thanks!

Champion Carburetor
http://www.championcarburetor.com/6569- ... 10575.html

Autozone
http://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/c ... _2475_3498

can't offer much on the choice but
as a 5 yr partsman 4 AZ - they deal w/china (like wally's world, both R China's importer) and
don't have much inc. with their kits (ex: drum's shoes have nothing inc, springs, clips, hold downs, etc, calipers same, etc).
So due ur 'due diligance' on what's there. I DID look @ the link & wuz surprised by the tag still being on the screw.
Did not ck the other link.
Some of us here rebuild any carb to assure operation no matter what is sold (bluffed). The expensive 1 might B over priced.
I'd go w/a junk yrd one but all have been gleaned (sent to the crusher) here in the NE when 10 y/o + .
8^0

Howdy Norm:

The photos appear to be the identical 1101 with a Spark Control Valve for use with a Load-o-Matic distributor. Either will need a good inspection on all specs and details.

What distributor will you be using?

FYI- do you know about the throttle bore miss match between the '66 head and the 1101 carb?

Adios, David

Plus core charge. You very likely could find a used 1101 for less maybe on ebay but hard to say what the condition is till in your hand. Do you have the stock distributor?

since the vehicles R crushed here I use car-parts.com
I think there are laws which allow the companies (like AZ & the other in ur link) to use a pic that
is NOT what they ship. "For rep. only"
so again, due diligence is important.
I went to mike's carbs dot com (pretty reliable)
to ck what casting numbers would match my need and
certified that the seller was sending 1 of those #s 2 me.

CZLN6":1u2a1d6a said:
Howdy Norm:

The photos appear to be the identical 1101 with a Spark Control Valve for use with a Load-o-Matic distributor. Either will need a good inspection on all specs and details.

What distributor will you be using?

FYI- do you know about the throttle bore miss match between the '66 head and the 1101 carb?

Adios, David

Hi David,

I'm using the factory Load-O-Matic and I am aware of the throttle bore mismatch. I'm planning on boring out the carb heater plate (can't remember the technical name for it) so that they will match.

So I ended up going with the Autoline which is a special order item from Autozone. The carburetor came in and it seemed like a nice unit so installed the carburetor (after porting and polishing the throttle plate) and fired my Bronco up. It was idling higher than it should so I went over it several times and fixed several vacuum leaks. Fixing those brought the idle speed down quite a bit but it was still idling several hundred RPMs higher than it should have.

I had the idle speed adjusted as far out as it would go (was not making contact with the linkage) and I also had the A/F screw tightened all the way in. Even with all that being done, it was still idling too high so I had a buddy of mine look at it and he noticed that the throttle shaft had way too much play in it.

I removed the carburetor, took it back to Autozone, and they happily ordered another one for me which came in last night. I stopped by there on my way to work this morning to look it over and this one had the same slop in the throttle shaft. The store manager suggested that we try a different vendor that they work with so he ordered another replacement through a company called United Carburetor.

The new-new one should be in tomorrow so hopefully this one will be properly rebuilt. Once I get my hands on it and inspect it, I'll update this thread with what I hope will be good news.

I wrked 4 same co. Some realize the crap (worn shafts/bushings) they get & will exchange.
Many of us rebuild a "new 1" anyway. But that prob is unacceptable (NOT able 2 correct).

Keep us informed - there's Matt (vintage inlines & Mike's)...

chad":38h4c4rf said:
I wrked 4 same co. Some realize the crap (worn shafts/bushings) they get & will exchange.
Many of us rebuild a "new 1" anyway. But that prob is unacceptable (NOT able 2 correct).

Keep us informed - there's Matt (vintage inlines & Mike's)...

I rebuilt my original 1100 using the kit from Mike's Carburetor and it was a very nice kit. I'm hoping to eventually end up with a nicely rebuilt 1101!

So the Autozone that I've been working with finally got a good 1101 in from Autoline. Installed it on Sunday morning and fired up my Bronco. Set the idle and A/F and the truck now runs better than I can ever remember. It has idles and accelerates MUCH smoother and definitely feels stronger. Very happy so far!

Howdy Back Norm:

And good going on your new rebuild carb. Persistence does pay. Hat's off to your willing and helpful parts man. What's next?

Adios, David

If your 1101 has a spark control valve it will be compatible with the loadamatic dist.
Not the best combination available.
The better distributor is the DS11 which has centrifugal & vacuum advance. But it is not compatible with a carb with the SCV, unless mods are done to the carb.

CZLN6":2nkkqx3g said:
Howdy Back Norm:

And good going on your new rebuild carb. Persistence does pay. Hat's off to your willing and helpful parts man. What's next?

Adios, David

Just planning on driving it as much as possible for now and I don't really have any other motor work left to do. I've considered a header but I doubt I'll end up doing that.

Good to know that you can use the 1101 on a stock 170 and not have issues with being over carbed. And Autozone is a source for one although you may have to return a few.

Howdy back Norm:

Enjoy the ride. I do hope that you will update us occasionally on how your engine continues to perform. Also what differences you are seeing in mpg? And maybe a report on what your spark plugs look like.

Here are a couple of suggestion for maintaince related upgrades.
First is the next time you need to do a fix on your exhaust system, swap it out for a 2" system including a turbo type muffler.
Second is next time you need to do points and condenser consider upgrading to a Petronix Ignitor system. THe ignitor runs about $60.00. New points and condenser run about $20- and you'll never have to change points again. And you can gap your plugs at .040" and bump the stock initial advance by another 5 degrees. For free!

As you can tell it's hard for me to leave well-enough-alone. Any way, enjoy your ride.

Adios, David

CZLN6":2f3yg9a4 said:
Howdy back Norm:

Enjoy the ride. I do hope that you will update us occasionally on how your engine continues to perform. Also what differences you are seeing in mpg? And maybe a report on what your spark plugs look like.

Here are a couple of suggestion for maintaince related upgrades.
First is the next time you need to do a fix on your exhaust system, swap it out for a 2" system including a turbo type muffler.
Second is next time you need to do points and condenser consider upgrading to a Petronix Ignitor system. THe ignitor runs about $60.00. New points and condenser run about $20- and you'll never have to change points again. And you can gap your plugs at .040" and bump the stock initial advance by another 5 degrees. For free!

As you can tell it's hard for me to leave well-enough-alone. Any way, enjoy your ride.

Adios, David

Hey David,

I'd be happy to update regarding how the motor is doing and so far, its been great. I've put around 100 miles on it since I installed the new carb and it's still running much better than before. I'm not sure what the fuel mileage was before I swapped out the 1100 so I won't be able to tell if that changed any. I'm going to throw a new set of plugs in it here pretty soon and do the second oil change (did the first one at 200 miles) since the motor was rebuilt about 700 miles ago.

The Petronix is on the list as is installing a better muffler to the already existing 2" system. I'm going to go with a Magnaflow muffler since they seem to be the best performing muffler and they're generally not very loud. Hopefully that will get it running as strong as possible and then I'll be able to focus on the rest of the truck!

Back