Engine Mounts - 250 I6 in 66 Mustang

John Ha

Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
I'm thrashing through my conversion and have made the stock I6 mounts work with the 250 in the 66 Mustang. I'd really like to get the front of the engine lower though. If my measurements are correct it can go down about 1-1/4 inches more and still have adequate clearance between the oil pan and the front sway bar and crossmember.

I've not found anything that will lower it just that far, but have made a couple of attempts at fabricating something. Neither was successful.

I'm hoping that someone out there has conquered this issue and is willing to share their solution - with photos if possible.

Thank you!!

:unsure: the solution to your problem is the use of the 250 six engine adapters or mounts. These engine adapters / mounts were used by Ford in the 250 six powered cars such as the 1969 to 1973 Mustangs, 1969 to 70 (also some early 1971's) Falcons & Comets, the 1971 to 1977 Mavericks & Comets, they were also used in Granada's & Monarch's too. For pictures and more info see the below recent post discussing this same problem. Good luck :nod:

250 Ford six in a 1967 Fairlane

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76516

Thanks Bubba! That's really great information.

I confess I was hoping for something quicker and easier though. Just doing a few quick searches suggests that it's going to be a long, hard road to find the right parts needed to do your method, unless I really bolloxed up my search criteria.

I think I'll try again to alter the stuff I have - new 66 I6 mounts are inexpensive so I can go through a few of those before it hurts too much, and I get to practice my fab skills too.

I am open to suggestions you may have for sourcing the parts I need to do your method.

Thanks very much again for taking the time to help :)

Bubba, I should have added an "I apologize" to my reply above. I hate people that ask for help and then complain when it's given. Now I am one.

But I should have been clearer. I was an engineer in my professional life and was really hoping for a solution that did not involve parts from 40-year-old vehicles that weren't all that popular when they were new and which are so unpopular now as to be all but extinct.

Please accept my profuse thank you for making the effort. I really do appreciate it.

I hope to come up with something else and will post here when/if I find it. I guess if this was an easy thing to do everyone would be doing it :)

:beer: that's no problem I know these old parts can be harder to find now days. As an engineer if you can do some fabrication work that's great. There are two or more ways the stock 200 metal engine mounts could be modded, the rubber motor mount insulators don't need to be altered. One way would be by cutting out a section of the bolt on metal engine mounts and then welding them back togeather so that the engine will drop down 1 1/4 inches. Another way is to simply make a couple 3/16 inch thick flat plates about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inches wide and about 4 inches long drill a set of bolt holes that match the spacing of the engines mounting holes at the top and a pair of matching holes 1 1/4 inches lower you can cut off any of the excess lenght so that you have about 3/8 above the top hole and the same on the bottom hole, then bolt them in. Good luck :nod:

I think I got the engine mounts mostly figured out and wanted to follow through with my solution. I've put a few of the details and some photos on my web page, http://mit.midco.net/jharcinske/Engine_Mounts.html.

I also have a few other pages that document how I addressed a couple of other issues (AC compressor mounting and fan belts). The links to those are on this page: http://mit.midco.net/jharcinske/250-6.html

Hopefully these will save someone some work somewhere along the way.

Thanks guys. This is really a great site and you (and others) have helped me a lot. :beer:

Back