Oil recommendation

69stang_250

VIP
Good morning guys.

What oil do you guys recommend in the 250s?
I have just came up on the recommended 1000 miles from the machinist and need to get the oil changed.
Is there a brand and weight of oil you guys would use? Should I put in an oil additive?

Thanks guys!

Brad Penn Racing oil 10W-30. It contains all the anti-wear additives & has the necessary detergent to keep the engine clean.
Its a semi-synthetic brew.
You will probably have to purchase it on line from a distributor.
If you just go to Walmart or any other outlet you will have to add Lucas anti-wear additive.
Rotella makes 10W-30 for diesels & that comes very close to the Brad Penn, but not quite.

I have been using Delo 400 in a 15w40 with a ZDDP additive. I don't know that the 15w40 is necessary but it has worked well for me. I think it is more important to change it more frequently. I have been changing mine every 3 months the way we all used to do it. It's cheap insurance.

I was using rotella, but they no longer have the high ZDDP levels... I switched to mobil 1 15/50, which is for "forced induction engines" and still has the High zddp levels (over 1300ppm). it should be noted that only the 15/50 has the high zddp...

I'm running joe gibbs driven HR 10-30 oil, mineral. It has the right balance, no additives needed. I'm going to switch to their HR synthetic after 2000 miles

as you can see you are going to get a lot of recommendations on brand of oil, but one thing is consistent here, the weight. either 10w-30 or 15w-40 works just fine for these old sixes.

i have used several brands of oils over the years, quaker state, pennzoil, valvoline, castrol, shell rotella, among others. all the oils listed in this thread are good oils to use. normally i would not recommend using an oil additive these days, but for thee old sixes, a good anti wear additive with ZDDP included as part of the formula is recommended. even if the oil you purchase has ZDDP as part of its blend formula.

the real key here though is to regularly change the oil based on either time, every six months regardless of miles driven. or every 3-5000 miles if you put that amount of miles on with in six months.

the other thing is to use a really good oil filter, like ones from wix or motorcraft. stay away from fram oil filters they cause too many oil pressure issues.

This isn't on oil - but close…
Any 1 know which co.s have the drain-back valve in their filers?

Back