Help with vacuum lines?

Boburban30

[facebookpost]https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154586455753107&id=520018106&set=gm.1177601855696332&source=48[/facebookpost]
Not sure how to post photos so I am hoping the above facebook post to my picture works.

I want to put a brake booster on my 66 200 but I am not sure where to pull the vacuum from. I think I found 2 vacuum ports on my intake and 1 on my carb. The 1 on the carb is currently going to the distributor, 1 of these ports I think is a vacuum, is going to the pcv valve, and the second port has a screw in it. Is this spot with the screw in actually a vacuum port and is this where I would run the booster to?

Sorry if I am completely wrong here. I knew very little about these older cars and all the work I have done so far has been by being self taught thru youtube.

Take it off the fitting on the log.

X2 on getting your vacuum from the intake log.

Howdy Bob and All:

I'm not confident with converting to a vacuum assist power brake conversion, BUT-

Remove the wing nut from the tap to determine whether or not it is a vacuum port.

The PCV hose should be hooked to a PCV valve that draws crankcase fumes and vapor out of the engine and recycles it into the engine intake. Is that what you have?

Vacuum assist power brakes use a vacuum reservior that has stores up vacuum so that the brakes get steady vacuum signal. If the vacuum brakes are hooked up to engine vacuum without a vacuum reservior brakes would not get a steady, even boost.

Now I'm going to look up the correct spelling of reservoir. (where's spell check when you neet it?)

Adios, David

I put power assist brake system on my van, pulled the vacuum from the 1/4" pipe port on the log just below the carb with the appropriate barb adapter fitting. I don't have a reservoir and the brakes work great. Maybe I should have one though, I don't know. I thought the booster, with it's check valve, was the reservoir. Bigger booster, more reservoir? I'm using an 8" single with a disc/drum configuration.

"just ask a guy ol enuff 2 have lost some teeth & have grey in his hair".
:LOL:

some yrs have a few holes drilled up on the kinda long tube on the head. There MAY B a fitting up there as well - has a few 'nipples' on it to attach a sm dia. rubber hose…
Keep talkin~

(BTW: I got the bald spot'n pot belly too)
:rolflmao:

At your red question mark... From what I can see in the pic...hopefully there is a nipple large enough, or adapt something.

Boburban30":23p7ehn0 said:
ags290":23p7ehn0 said:
X2 on getting your vacuum from the intake log.
Where do I find this? I looked and the only thing I can find is what is pictured.

That thing with the capped nipples is where we are referring to. You will need to remove it. The booster requires a larger port than those look to be, like 3/8" nipple iirc. There is a 1/4" female pipe threaded hole there that thing is screwed into. Good luck.

See that pipe plug sticking out of the log under the carb in the pic below?

[image]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/yFNj8H.jpg[/image]

This is what they are talking about when they mention taking the vacuum off the log. My engine came with that brass block and ports. Distributor vacuum comes out of the carb. The one that is hooked up to the brass block goes to the transmission modulator. The other two are for additional vacuum functions. I'm thinking the larger one would be for the power brakes.

IDK how this looked when delivered from the factory. The little hoses with screw plugs were there when I got it. But the block with ports - I have been told - is a stock item.

ludwig":slpzplre said:

This is what they are talking about when they mention taking the vacuum off the log. My engine came with that brass block and ports. Distributor vacuum comes out of the carb. The one that is hooked up to the brass block goes to the transmission modulator. The other two are for additional vacuum functions. I'm thinking the larger one would be for the power brakes.

IDK how this looked when delivered from the factory. The little hoses with screw plugs were there when I got it. But the block with ports - I have been told - is a stock item.
Ok, so I was looking in the correct spot. It looks like I am just missing that distribution block. I bet you someone previously removed that block and inserted that screw in mine. Any1 have any clue where I can find a new distribution block?

can't U just grab a brass fitting, many have the proper internal (and external) thread?

So after researching this some more I discovered the spot I have marked with the ? Is indeed a vacuum source. However that automatic transmission should be hooked to that port, mine is not. I bought this car last year and put about 100 miles on it and the transmission seemed fine. What is the point of this vacuum line to the transmission? Do I need it? Should I find some kind of a splitter and run the brake booster and transmission to this port, or should I just not bother with the transmission vacuum since it is running rine?

"...some kind of a splitter…"
I wopuld, retract my last comment then.
(Wait, a C4 don't have a vac need? It has a TV cable 2 da carb).
Did not C the other listed in ur sig (C mine).

Back