New 200 Build - No Oil Pressure

Sorry LR of head. Nothing to do with your current problem.
If the plug behind the timing gear is missing that is the main oil galley that feeds everything else.
Bite the bullet & pull the timing cover & the camshaft gear & you will see the problem.
Either tap the galley & install a screw in plug, or install a deep cup plug with permatex & stake the block in 3 places around the plug. To prevent it from coming out.
Did you install the main bearings correctly? Are the cam bearings installed correctly?? Best of luck.

wsa111":2tf68hpu said:
Bite the bullet & pull the timing cover & the camshaft gear & you will see the problem.
Either tap the galley & install a screw in plug, or install a deep cup plug with permatex & stake the block in 3 places around the plug. To prevent it from coming out.
Did you install the main bearings correctly? Are the cam bearings installed correctly?? Best of luck.

Thanks for the follow-up. I don't know what else it could be besides the front plug. I know the cam and main bearings are installed correctly. The mains were installed in the video I did. The cam bearings were done by the machine shop. (Hopefully good). I'll let you know what happens. I have the radiator and condenser out of the way so I can pull the pulley and remove the cover, hopefully tonight. Fingers crossed this is the problem...

You had me paranoid about the front oil gallery plug on my rebuild! I called my machine shop guy, and he said yep, he replaced it. I'm in the process of installing it--see my posts on the 144 thread.

adamscm":le11hpgz said:
You had me paranoid about the front oil gallery plug on my rebuild! I called my machine shop guy, and he said yep, he replaced it. I'm in the process of installing it--see my posts on the 144 thread.

I guess my machine shop guy should have put it in? Don't really matter now...

Hard to see in your video, I can not tell for sure, but I think it is missing...But it does recess some...Definitely not sure. :unsure::

Where is your video--what is it titled? I hope you get resolution soon--I'm no stranger to frustration! Today when I put my rebuild in, I didn't have an electric drill to spin the oil pump, so I did it manually with a socket wrench, and it STILL pumped oil all the way to the rockers. So thankfully no problem there for me. BTW, did you try removing the oil pressure sender and see if oil comes out when you spin the pump?

Is this the hole that should have a plug in it?

Does anyone have a picture of the front of their motor before putting cam and timing chain on? Knowing what size plug to get would be a big bonus too!

:banghead: yeah that's a shame but at least you found out before anything bad happened. :nod:

X2 Yes it is, sorry no pics....the hole I get .438 and a used knock in plug I get .442..7/16" is .4375....The edge of the plug is recessed back about 1/8" to 3/16".....

fav returned 4 ur great vid w/Dad!
Thnx 4 postin it !!!

chad":201w99eo said:
fav returned 4 ur great vid w/Dad!
Thnx 4 postin it !!!

Thanks Chad. My pops is my anchor, maybe like alot of dudes here? I wouldn't even like old cars if it wasn't for him. Fact is.. he helped me get every job I've ever had - despite my degree in Mechanical Engineering. If I didn't know how to turn a wrench and kinda, "how stuff worked" in general (they don't teach that at engineering school! :banghead: ) then I woulda never made it.

I've confirmed... the plug is missing and NEEDED! I plugged the hole with my finger, turned the oil pump with my drill super slow and was able to get 5psi of oil pressure.

Thanks to all that helped and had a good thought for me. :beer:
pike

Enjoy time spent with your Dad.

Mine died 22 years ago - and I truly value the memories I have of time we spent together.

"...wouldn't even like old cars if it wasn't for him…"
Mine gave me a model motor 1 X-Mass (plastic 1/20th scale), never able to assemble (2 young).
But we talk bout the bronk now, weekly. He's followin @ 92 y/o & 2K mi away.
:D
Keep up da good work!

I had the same issue on my build. Being a newbie I didn't know what to look for nor even know what oil journels were. We did the electric drill trick to test before installing and no pressure. Not only was the front one missing, the rear one was too (FYI, it did NOT pour oil everywhere with the drill test). We looked in the bag o parts left over from the build kit and there were these two tiny shiny round things. Whew! Lucky for me I had experienced friends helping me. It was a pain to pull the front apart to install the plug (back no access issue) and reseal, but better than having to pull the engine / tranny to fix and/or ruining a new engine. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement. :p

Back