144 Progress

4 what it's worth the bronk had vac wipers (fuel pump activated) thru '67 but "trucks' R all ways later…
Less info on concourse correct (but 4 da bronk it's the U13 site, lotta good stuff there).

Ya wanna use a road draft tube rather than a pcv (as oem equiped, I believe)?

Made some progress tonight before calling it quits. Z-bar, clutch linkage, coil, distributor, carb and all metal lines plus exhaust pipe. Pics are low-light. Yes, OEM is the road draft tube. I had put on a 66 valve cover and pcv just to eliminate fumes, but if I'm not getting much blow-by with the new motor, I'll go back to original.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 107
ur gettin there, bro!
Anticipating good stuff…
:nod:

Thanks for the info bubba,

That makes a lot of sense why my valve cover was originally silver, while that would be cool, i went with the orange/red set up like what the falcons would have had.

Got it together and running tonight! Wires, hoses, radiator, starter. Did preliminary valve adjustment and cranked it...it runs. Took a short test drive and followed instructions on breaking in cam. A little bit of lifter tick came back as things settled in....will re-adjust tomorrow. My rebuilt generator was squeaking a bit and not charging enough at idle, but after about 30 minutes, that all settled out too. I've got a video with sound, but don't know if or how to post it here.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    858.3 KB · Views: 72
super4ord":p6cqbica said:
Thank you Bubba,

I didn't know that about the early bells and motors. I was just worried that he might have starter problems down the road. Come to think of it, I have 8 manual bell housings and all are aluminum. I know there are cast iron bells, but I have never owned one of them, even on the two different 1962 Ranchero's I've owned. Thanks for the heads up. Just goes to show how you can always learn something from this forum. That's probably why this is still my favorite forum after all of these years.

Darrell

Your welcome Darrel, after so many years since these cars were built it's quite rare to find a Comet or Falcon that's still original. Most have had numerous engine and trans swaps over the years. (y) :nod:

62Cometman":3q84xtz5 said:
Thanks for the info bubba,

That makes a lot of sense why my valve cover was originally silver, while that would be cool, i went with the orange/red set up like what the falcons would have had.

Your welcome 62Cometman, yes it's nice to see cars that are still factory correct restorations as well as those modded by their owners too. Good luck :nod:

adamscm":1ngqmc1n said:
Got it together and running tonight! Wires, hoses, radiator, starter. Did preliminary valve adjustment and cranked it...it runs. Took a short test drive and followed instructions on breaking in cam. A little bit of lifter tick came back as things settled in....will re-adjust tomorrow. My rebuilt generator was squeaking a bit and not charging enough at idle, but after about 30 minutes, that all settled out too. I've got a video with sound, but don't know if or how to post it here.

The Comet is looking great adamscm! (y) :nod:

Let's try this...It will take you a bit to load, but it does seem to appear on my screen. I'm not the most high-tech person!

Nice Work Sir! A little lifter tick on a fresh motor startup is not uncommon, I was always told " If they are clicking, they are not burning" The main thing is no more heinous squeal! Get her broken in and enjoy!

Thanks, I did have one moment last night--when I revved the motor, there WAS a squeal. Turns out this time is WAS the fan belt. I bought a rebuilt generator that the builder painted in gloss black--even the pulley. It made the surface too slick. Nothing a little sandpaper can't fix.

hand reving in the vid shows it still has the rod linkage - kudos!

Back