Priming hydraulic lifters

ledslinger29

What's the consensus? I had solid lifters before. I'm supposed to get my head back this week, and got some Clay Smith hydraulic lifters to go with my Schneider cam. Should I soak them in oil, or something else before installing and putting it all back together? I've got some time, as I still have to figure out what pushrods I'm gonna need after I get it back

You can submerge them is oil & keep depressing the plunger till you get a the lifter full of oil.

ledslinger29":25i9ghsd said:
What's the consensus? I had solid lifters before. I'm supposed to get my head back this week, and got some Clay Smith hydraulic lifters to go with my Schneider cam. Should I soak them in oil, or something else before installing and putting it all back together? I've got some time, as I still have to figure out what pushrods I'm gonna need after I get it back

Have you called Clay Smith to see what their suggestion is? If not, I would do that since they are the ones that produced the lifters. I've pasted an article I found on Crane Cam's website and for what it's worth, I coated the bottom of my lifters before install and I've had no issues with my newly rebuilt motor since I first started it 800 miles ago.

http://www.cranecams.com/faqview.php?s_id=30

If you are not using adjustable rockers I would submerge them and pump them up. If, however you are using adjustable rockers you may find that the lifters do not all pump up the same. When it comes time to "feel" the push rod lash while adjusting, it can get a little subjective. We have all been told to rotate the rod in our fingers until it doesn't want to turn and then go an additional half turn or whatever. But with all the oil and varied strength combined with pumped and semi pumped lifters it can be easy to lose ground zero in the process. I submerge the dry lifters in oil and install them. When all of the up and down lash is taken out, measure the width of one adjuster thread. The lifter manufacturer will give you a compression range high and low. Calculate how much of a turn the adjuster will be needed to get you mid range and lock her down! Prime the pump with a drill pre start up and she'll purr like a kitten!!

Back