Distributor Installation 144

adamscm

Hello All, Thanks for the positive comments on my ongoing 144 build saga. One question this morning--I've installed the distributor and set the timing--it runs fine. However, the distributor seems to be oriented slightly more counterclockwise than when I removed it, making it difficult to advance it any further because of the metal vacuum line. If I pull it and re-stick it one tooth back, won't that be ok, as long as I have the rotor pointing at #1 TDC (in other words, as long as the rotor is in the same position relative to the body/cap of the distributor?

X2

I had to do the very same thing with my 200 when I installed the HEI for the first time.

"... one tooth back…"
counter clock-wise…
Isint that 'retard ' ?
1 tooth - "no big deal" ?

Somebody else can explain it better than me, but I'm thinking as long as you have the rotor pointing at #1 when you are at TDC compression, it doesn't matter where you stab in the distributor. Now, if you moved the shaft/rotor WITHOUT turning the cap/base with it, then yes, you would be "off a tooth."

The problem is where you start out is not where you will finish because of the angle cut of the gears.... It turns the rotor, as it goes down and must be compensated for .

Back