should i keep the 144ci for a 2,600lb car and uphrad it or change engine

falcon_master

Hi everyone i just want to say thanks to all this forum has saved me time and money. My question is I have a 1964 falcon with a 3 speed manual trans. It has a 144ci 6 and weighs around 2,600lb. I want to use it as a daily driver and occasional cross state driving (lots of minor hills). Will this stick engine work or should i get another one thanks.

i would say that depends;

1: do oyu want to keep it stock?

2: are you willing to swap transmissions and rear end gears?

i might keep the 144 but mate it to a T5 5 speed and 3.55 - 3.73 rear gear. that would give you a fair amount of grunt, drop it out of overdrive when climbing hills and teh engine is lugging.

for the engine itself, a small turbo from a mid 80s thunderbird turbo coupe and perhaps EFI of some sort, as well as a cam upgrade, to say a comp cams 260 high energy grind, i believe they have a solid lifter version of that cam, if not then something similar will do nicely.

on the other hand, you can always swap to a 200 and the T5 with the same gearing, your choice.

"...a small turbo from a…(perhaps EFI ?)..., as well as a cam upgrade, …"
2X
(y)
perrrrrfict
(2 me - either a C4 or T5)

Howdy falcon_master:

You are the only one who can answer that. Sorry. Are you currently driving the car? Are you satisfied with and confident with its performance? What is the condition of the 144? It is safe to say that the 144 is overworked in this situation. It is probably ok on the 55 mph back roads but scary on the Interstates. IIWIYS, I'd be inclined to swap in a complete 200 from '67 or later with a full synchro trans and assess from there.

On a side note, my nephew had a '62 tudor with a 144 column shift. He loved it, but babied it along. He learned to double clutchon it- a lost art with todays young drivers.

FYI- the 144 engines were overtaxed, at best. They were marginal in 1964. Other than for an OEM restoration, I'd suggest that you move on to a 200. The rear end gearing was also a factor in a 144 combo- likely a 3.50:1 or 3.80:1. That would make for a pretty buzzy engine at 70 mph, both 144 and 200.

I'll be waiting to hear what you decide.

Adios, David

If your 144 is still running and you want to swap the motor definitely take some time and look for a 200. If you are fortunate enough to find one in good condition it is a drop in swap and you will appreciate the extra 56 cubes. If you want enjoyable highway cruising start planning for a t5 it will give you the highway capabilities that you will also appreciate with the od. Just these two items will give you great performance.

Back