is a rebuild required?

falcon_master

Hi everyone i have a completely stock 1964 144 six engine. It was in a 1964 falcon and was running perfectly before it was parked outside under shade for about 5-8 years. Besides the usual fluid changes and wire checks do i really need to rebuild the engine thanks.

may B some spray in each cyl to lube (might ck the s. plugs U remove to squirt thru 1st as well), a wait & just bump the starter rather than bend a push rod? Even a hand crank by the HB to C bout frozen rings?
:unsure:
EDIT:
sorry, an addition - I like the idea of pullin the VC as well.
B nice to have a look 1st / during start up as another 'gentile
wake up' process (rather than w/a "BFG").
(y)

That's good advise, pull the plugs and rotate it with a socket on the crank a few times. Pull the valve cover and see how much sludge/hard stuff is in there. Outside of that, change the fluids, rebuild the carb, get it running and drive it for a while then do a compression test on it.

If the engine will turn over I doubt you have to rebuild it.

My Mustang had set for at least 8 years when I bought it. When I got it back to my shop, I found the engine was stuck. I pulled the spark plugs and put several pumps from a oil can of Marvel Mistry Oil down each cylinder. After it had set for a few days I started working the vibration damper by hand, and was able to get it to start moving. A few back and forth movements and soon I was able to rotate the engine by hand. I shot more oil in each cylinder and with the plugs out I cranked it with the starter for several seconds. I then put the plugs back in and it started right up. I have been driving it for several years now with no ill effect. Two years ago we took it on a 2000 mile round trip ride down into AZ along route 66.

Hi, that's what I would do. As mentioned, change the oil. Remove spark plugs and squirt can the cylinders. let it soak in a couple days. Turn it over gently by hand, and get to the point of cranking with the starter with the plugs out. Also run the clean gas from a gallon can to the fuel pump. I'll bet the gas tank is nasty and coming out. That would be a good start. Good luck

i would say get the engine running first, then determine its condition, and whether or not it needs a rebuild.

Back