Throttle plate question

cmm24601

I have an Autolite 1101 on a 1969 250 Mustang, automatic

I have been tracking down a vacuum leak and the cigar test revealed smoke emitting from around the lever pump. sure enough. The entire throttle plate shimmies back and forth in the carb housing. I replaced the lever pump, but I'm sure of the best way to stop the leak, which is around the throttle shaft. It wiggles less than 1/16" but that can make a big difference, apparently...

I fashioned some c-clamps out of thin washers and added them to the small gap between the lever pump and wall of the carb. There was a noticeable improvement on performance, but it's still not air tight and I don't know how long those washers will last.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Is there something missing?

You have to install a bushing in the base to eliminate the play.

Hi, X2. The throttle shaft is harder than the base and usually the base has some wear. Any carb guy can install bushings and ream them to the proper size. Good luck

You can try to find the right parts, I'm sure someone here knows what will work. I mean an old fashioned carburetor shop. Allstate Carburetor by me on Long Island works on all carbs. I would find someone and just bring them the base plate. Good luck

Allstate carbs are highly recommended.
If you or a friend is a machinist, check out Mike's Carburetor's for necessary parts.

:unsure: Several years ago,on the hard core tech forum there was an excellent thread on totally redoing a carb.Including the worn shaft bore redo.Unfortunately,I don`t remember the name of the person doing the work.Great write up on the work including great pictures of the process.
Maybe one of the people here can remember who it was,and the name of the thread.If it still exists,it should be entered in the stickies.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

"...the worn shaft bore redo…."
Yes! now THAT's a sticky if ever there wuz 1…
(use drill press?)

WoW
thnx Bill !
this 1 has a pic
fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36077&hilit=some+carb+mods+application
a reamer'n bushing creates a DIY project!
Now
If I only hada way to re-jet an RBS (they're pressed in)…

Bringin ol stuff back to life ina beddah format than the oem!
(sounds like the ford6 way !)
:eek:

:beer: Hi Bill.Many thanks for the search.Had that one bookmarked,BUT,the HDD in the computer that it was on took a dump and I lost everything. :thanks: :nod: IF that one could be put in the stickies or the archives,that would be a great help to all.I did`nt realize that that thread was almost 11 years old.
Leo

Leo, post is in the tech part of the forum under Misc.

:D Hi Bill.Thanks for the heads up.I also bookmarked the thread in my favorites.He did some awesome work on that carb.
Leo

I'm doing this very thing right now... I was able to find a kit for a GM quadrajet carb that also has a 5/16 shaft and comes with 8 correct size bushings and reamer for about $30 on ebay.

Mikes carb's has the bushings but the OD is a funky size and I had a heck of a time finding the right reamer... I did find Oilite bushings in a standard OD off the shelf reamer size also. I ordered two to try with the GM rebuild kit as those are just brass... but splined on the outside for a tight fit.

Thank you Bill glad to hear there is still a source for the shaft bushings. (y) :nod:

cmm24601":pnj6ziy7 said:
I have an Autolite 1101 on a 1969 250 Mustang, automatic
I have been tracking down a vacuum leak and the cigar test revealed smoke emitting from around the lever pump. sure enough. The entire throttle plate shimmies back and forth in the carb housing.
Has anyone come across this problem before? Is there something missing?
Bump, bump...
Did you get anywhere?

Back