Help with 1101 carb install

Boburban30

So I read a lot online about the best carb for my 66 200. I decided that I would go with the 1101 off a 69 250. I read everywhere that this is one of the best carb to go with and the only modification was tapering the hole on the carb spacer which I did. My question now is... What are these channels on the bottom of the carb? It looks like they are going to be leaking because they won't be sealed up against anything? How do I fix this? What are the channels? Can I JB weld them shut?

[image]https://ibb.co/ewVG2a[/image]

U don't…
the gasket between carb bottom & head allows them to "pass gas".
:eek:

There's some great explinations at the tech archive button above by clicking on it in the 1st line above (under the big huge logo).
(see the lill gears?) It's free…

Others spend a lill ($25?) and get "the Handbook" which also goes inta detail onit. These R 2 great sources for those wishing more performance (improvements in $ & speed) from these great lill motors! After a good read U will B on ur way to understanding the i6, able to wrk onit & come here w/Qs when U 'get in trouble'. They helped me rebuild my 1st carb here (again saved $ and improved performance) but that reading (of both) was what helped me get up to speed.

Howdy Bob and All:

Good question. I can't find anywhere that this question has been addressed. Here's what I did- when I tapered the top of the inlet hole I was careful to only flare enough to clear the 1101 butterfly valve, leaving most of the channels intact. However, after more checking the gasket I was using between the carb and the carb mount did not have reliefs for the channels. So, i took a chance and bolted it up. It worked great. The gasket with no reliefs sealed the transfer channels off. Any leaks stayed inside so no problem.

The addition of the 1101 and a '68 distributor to my stock '65 200 was amazing. It was the most dramatic change I've ever made. I set the initial advance at 10 btc, set the carb vacuum screw at the highest vacuum reading and drove off. No re-jetting or other changes. The only downside was that I wanted that effect out of every upgrade ever made after.

But the mystery is what are those channels for. My best guess is that they are manifold vacuum channels. The short on goes up the bowl side of the carb. The longer slot goes up the other side. Both are internal. They may activate the pressure check balls inside. Next time I do a rebuild I will look more closely. I don't have a us
e for the 1101 right now so it may be awhile.

My suggestion to you is to try the carb with a solid (No slots) gasket and see how it works. Check for vacuum leaks and assess from there. IF you'd feel better sealing them off JB works great.

Let us know how it all works out.

Adios, David

I didn't trust just the paper gasket to sit flush and seal these channels. The problem with these channels are they start inside the mounting hole and half of it is still exposed when mounted to the carb spacer. I would think this would lead to a vacuum leak and didn't want to chance it so this is what I did.

1) took the gasket from the 1101 carb and traced it onto some 16 gauge steel.
2) cut the steel following old gasket outline.
3) once my steel was cut I then traced that shape onto some do it yourself gasket material I picked up from Napa.
4) I cut out the homemade gaskets. One for on top of the steel, one for under the steel.
5) I took the new gaskets and applied them to the steel. They were self adhesive so this was pretty easy.
6) I sanded down the edges and center hole of my new contraption.
7) I then drilled the holes for the studs to go thru and mounted everything up.
8) car fired right up and is running better than it ever has since I bought it.

The 1101 carb now has a pretty solid base and the whole thing is sealed. I think that just using a gasket may have worked but I was afraid that the paper would break down in those channels and create a vacuum leak. I am hoping the way I did things should last at least until the carb needs to be rebuilt. Anyone see anything wrong with what I Did?

"...Anyone see anything wrong with what I Did?"
Certainly not!
Really like the way your proceeding
AND
that snappy red color to the car!
:nod:

Back