Pics of my valve seals - Everything look OK? Oil fouls #3 plug quickly

reweb67

valves4.jpgvalves3.jpgvelves2.jpgvalves1.jpg

My car is 67 Mustang with the 200 six. I'm hoping to get some help from the six cylinder experts here.

My car is in nice shape, runs good with no smoke. Has good compression. Will oil foul the #3 plug quickly. Develops a miss I change the plug then repeat. I was thinking it may be an oil seal but they look ok? Not sure exactly. I see no rips or missing pieces. I did notice some are shorter than others. Some of the valves are red around the heads? Not sure about that one.

I should mention I have tuned it up and rebuilt carb within the past couple weeks. Seems all good except for the #3 oil fouling...

Thanks for any help!

Replace the seals on #3 cylinder, check for loose valve guides.
If that does not help you have a ring problem on that cylinder. Best of luck.

Your valve seals look fine to me. I'm betting you have valve stem clearance problems with the guides. More than likely the guides were knurled during the last rebuild which is kind of a band aid. It's just a guess, but from your description that's what I would expect to find.

Good Luck,

Kevin

Thanks for the replies. I have spent some time checking the seals and I agree they look to be fine.

How do I go about checking for loose valve guides? I do have the shop manual hopefully it has instructions on how to do that.

Anyone care to share their technique for checking the valve guides? Thanks!

It's not that the guides are loose in the head, it's the clearance between the valve stem and the guide. I am sure there is a procedure in the shop manual, I have always checked them by feel and had it verified by the machinist at the machine shop. Checking the guides for wear is part of a standard valve job.

Back