Exhaust donut burnout

cmm24601

So I replaced the exhaust donut a couple of weeks ago. After about 200 miles I noticed a leak again and just discovered the thing is completely burned up. Just the thin metal ring is left. The engine is running fine. Normal temp, between 160 and 190.

Is this a result of improper installation?

I'm thinking the flange was not tightened up'n square?

Howdy:

Probably due to a leak of hot exhaust gases. Is the firewall intact?

Good luck.

Adios, David

All is intact. One of the studs connecting the flange to the exhaust manifold is in need of replacement. I think that kept me from being able to tighten down and align the gasket correctly.

I had problems keeping my exhaust pipe from loosening up at the manifold. I finally took it to an exhaust shop and they made a support bracket and bolted it to the block and used a muffler clamp on the pipe about 6" down from the manifold flange. Haven't had a problem since.

cobraguy":1nyli6mq said:
I had problems keeping my exhaust pipe from loosening up at the manifold. I finally took it to an exhaust shop and they made a support bracket and bolted it to the block and used a muffler clamp on the pipe about 6" down from the manifold flange. Haven't had a problem since.

Has to have the support bracket. They existed for the bigger 250's and later cars. The take care of the shaking movment of the whole exhaust.

cobraguy":2wpesrn0 said:
... and they made a support bracket and bolted it to the block and used a muffler clamp on the pipe about 6" down from the manifold flange...
Thnx!!!
Got a pic Mr. Cobra guy?

Hi.

I had this problem as well, burning through these rings.
The pipe to block brace was not properly attached, allowing the pipe to "wiggle" itself free.
You need this brace, that attaches to a threaded hole I believe just below the freeze plugs on the PS of the engine.
You attach the pipe to the bracket with a simple exhaust clamp.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/6-cyl-head-p ... /p/HW1409/

Good luck
Rinke

Back