Best PCV valve for a Ford Six

B RON CO

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
Hi, so I'm working on getting the engine running better. One issue was I needed to give more gas to get rolling then before I did the 2 barrel swap. It used to leave in first without needing much if any throttle. So it was idling and I pulled out the "new" PVC valve and closed it with my finger and the idle got better. I changed to this new valve, A, because I had it, and B, because it had a 90 degree elbow, which works better for me. So I put the old PCV valve back, but the elbow is a little loose. It runs better and leaves from a stop much better with only a little throttle. So I could put silicone on the elbow and move on. I'm asking to see what PCV valve is the best choice for our Ford Sixes? Thanks

Sadly only 240 of Mustang_Geezer's posts remain. He coverd this long ago in his earlier posts which are now under Guest. His website http://www.geocities.com/mustang_man_1966/index.html is gone too.

Below this blurb, some usefull links.

All the systems fter 1973 are closed systems. They work with a lot of other little duffors. Remember the rules of happy carbing

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1202phr- ... -mistakes/

Esp No 6.
Neglect Vacuum Hookups

Often, factory engines are designed with what appears to be a spaghetti factory for vacuum lines. Some of those are critical, and some aren’t. Either way, mark every single one of them prior to removing your old carb, and look at their function. Keep an eye out for which vacuum lines use ported (to distributor) vacuum and full manifold vacuum. On the other end of the spectrum, if the car is destined for racing only,QFT’s Zach Baker says: “I see people run PCV valves on motors that have huge-by-large camshafts in them. They just don’t work that well. It’s an emissions piece and not a performance piece.” Look for an alternate means of removing crankcase pressure.

I love PCV, auto chokes, and cold starting heat stoves, TVS duffors that open your special dual intake air cleaner.

Just like Mustang Geezers

mufp_0607_01z+six_cylinder_performance+engine_view.jpg

ramair1.jpg

The early CFi and pre 4bbl 5.0 and Essex 90 degree V6 air cleaner is cheap, has the Air Cleaner to oil filler connection, the Green and White/Blue TVS cold weather modulators, a bimetallic sensor, and you can dual snout it easily.

Its what the 82 5.0 GT Mustang and RS Capri used before 4V carbs. Ford used that alloy base for a long time in the Mustang II to Fox era, about 10 years. So you have heaps of scope.

For a closed system, best stock is Ford EV-98-B Motorcraft PCV Valve #D9ZZ-6A666-A (1980-2001 V8 item). It will allow for less blowby to the intake, but will blow more oil out into your filtering system. It goes to under the carb, via an under carb adaptor like this.

1981200exhaust01_original.jpg

The oil filler has a vent to the carbnd and to do it right, the air cleaner needs to be like the 1975 to 1980 YFA 250 or 300 item, a standard YFA carbed Granada, Maverick, F100 truck thing.

Motorcraft EV-98-B comes with a two peg 90 degree union. Summits info is wrong, and has been for ages. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/ford

Shorter single peg, actually started years before, is for CFi 5.0 V8's, it is Motorcraft EV140 (#E7TE6A666A2A, E7TE6B890AA, E7TZ6A666A). It allows more blow by.

Basically, its your car, so you work out an air cleaner that suits you best, and then run the oil filler vent to it, and then on another rocker cover port, send the blow by via Motorcraft EV-98-B to an under carb intake vent. Don't get hung up on it. If its a Holley 2-bbl, you might get away with the back of the carb, but its more fun to take it to a 90 union to the intake somewhere else. If the PCV is not dampened down enough, it'll hurt your idle.

A PCV valve should never go to a bowl vent in the carb, especially not it its a Weber.

Since there is so many in line six cylinder idle problems, and so many unbaffled rocker covers and engines with different levels of vacuum on any Ford I6, use of the expensive ME Wagner Adjustable PCV can pay big dividends .If you have a lot of crankcase ventilation, the ME Wagner Adjustable PCV valve will work fine.

Basically because

your engine will probably no longer have the PCV baffle below the PCV valve the way Ford intended, and
will also have major increases in blow- by.

It'll have more than the design hp level of 80 odd hp the i6 PCV's were designed around.

I don't get kickbacks from Wagner over the Adjustable PCV DF-17 Dual Flow PCV Valve (Its Not cheap, and per item I'd make a lot on money doing it), but I've lost count of the amount of people whose cold engine won't idle.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444
http://mewagner.com/?p=1130

Wagner_Adjustable_PCV_valve.jpg

Poor idle is often because some of the other advice from performance suppliers is to perform a frontal lobotomy on the factories emission devices, first the rocker cover baffles, then its PCV, then the carb, then, if equiped, the exhaust primary light off cat, then the secondary AIR...that normally helps some aspect of idle, but then hurts fuel delivery.

As a side note, There is a raft of IMCO/ Thermactor systems that tie PCV to cold weather modulators on the air cleaner...whole nuther story.....You don't have to spend a million bucks, just two TVS valves to rout the ignition advance right in that vital 58 to 65 deg F zone, proper intake heat stove supply from the headers under part throttle with proper full flow under wide open throttle, and proper PCV system. Basically, IMCO 1973. I'd personally stay with EGR, but that's up to you.

viewtopic.php?t=70189

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73926

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42605
pssnmn1":33e1q63m said:
that is true,
on just about all late model vehicles the pcv specific to the engine

after a incredibly annoying wannabe teacher told me and my fellow classmates there was no difference in pcv valves we decided to do a independent study of our own.

using a small block chebby valve cover(they are cheap) sealed to a piece
of plexiglass and a vacuum pump we tested 22 seperate pcv valves
various venders and ones delco and motorcraft all for the same engine(5.7liter chebby 1/2 ton pickup with auto and air 1990) thats the vehicle
it came off of, and none of the measured the same.....none.

its not as critical on older engines but it does aid in the performance as well as oiling on some newer engines.

some even have metered orifices now.

just my 2 cents

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43771
THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER":33e1q63m said:
You must have a PCV valve if you are going to route crankcase fumes into the intake. The valve acts as a metering device so that at small throttle openings (and high vacuum) there is minimal flow through the valve, and at large throttle openings (low vacuum and high blow-by) there is virtually unrestricted flow through the PCV. If yours does not have one try a Motorcraft # EV-98.

I highly recommend a PCV valve for all street-driven engines.

/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73925

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76817

wsa111":33e1q63m said:
All the major parts stores carry them.
HOWEVER you will suck oil into the PCV valve. One choice is move the valve via an 2" hose to raise the hose above the valve cover.
PCV-Carb002.jpg

The C.I. valve cover is just a copy of Cliffords cast valve cover, a good looking piece of junk.
From an engineering design the cover should be 1/4" higher to clear a decent baffle over the PCV valve just like the factory stamped steel cover.
You can use double valve cover gaskets to raise the cover.
You can then install a sheet metal baffle to the top of the cover. The 4 bosses are cast into the cover, but need to be drilled & tapped to fasten an OEM style baffle.
That's why they pay factory engineers to do the design correctly, rather than a parts copier of a poorly designed product.

Back