How to start 144

falcon_master

Hi I know I have two posts up. I have a 64 144ci six that was running just fine when it was parked for about 8 years. I did oil and filter change and re plumbed fuel system. I put a jump starter to the battery (not new) and tried to crank it. With the clutch all the way in all I hear is grinding and popping coming from the starter. I am able to turn the engine about 180° but then it gets stuck. Any tips thanks so much.

Pull all the plugs, squirt some oil down into the cylinders (not a whole helluva lot, just a moderate amount,) let it sit for a day or so, try to turn over by hand using a breaker bar and a socket.

From there, let us know. After 8 years it could be any number of issues, including an old battery trying to be jumped by a jump pack.

I'd clean all the contact points of the starter circuit as well. Wires, the contacts, where it bolts onto anything. On mine I had a bad ground on the starter so I had to pull it off and clean everything with a wire brush before it would get a good enough ground to crank

Hi, yes, oil in the cylinders. Remove the starter and jump it on the work bench. Negative to the metal front mount and touch the positive to the wire post. Hold the stater down since it will jump. The Bendix drive should pop out and the starter should spin very quickly. When you remove the positive the starter should stop and the Bendix drive should retract. Also put the car in neutral and turn the engine over a couple of times clockwise. You do not need to step on the clutch. Good luck

B RON CO":2dm8nydf said:
Remove the starter and jump it on the work bench.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this, most auto-parts places will test them in their machine for you.

Good luck!

I would NOT test the starter on the work bench. I have either NAPA or O'Reilly's test mine. I prefer O'Reilly's because the kid at NAPA asked, "What kind of car is a 1960 Ranchero?" I tested the starter myself on their machine.

just the opposite in our locale.
It's important to form a relationship w/a local
That way is just easier. Our 'big box' store is great when I see the same faces again -
da new guys…get no luv so I got to NAPA, works no matter who's there. They let me take
the battery tester out to the rig, run the starter/alternator machinery, etc

Good Luck, keep in touch, let us know what you find!

Back