Clutch Fan or flex fan for the L6 200

Does any know if there is a clutch fan or flex fan that will work of the L6 200 engine? I'd like to reduce some of the engine noise at highway speed. Thanks, jim / oldcarman

depending what you've got it in.

Std Motorcraft fan clutch,

stock 4-1/2" long nose later water pump, and you'll get a Fox 3.3 on on there.

Earlier pumps are 4"

Note: rickwrench did a really nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump. If your stuck, theres a note below for ya.

IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8852.jpg

but Hayden® 2711 - Standard Duty Thermal Fan Clutch might work.

https://www.carid.com/hayden/thermal-se ... -2711.html

It goes with the long nose water pump, its an 83 3.3 Fairmont reference part

/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72672

xctasy":1w1kcv5e said:
The later model Dual or Triple pulley water pumps for Fox 3.3's ran the same length water pump as the XW-XF, 4-1/2" (or 114 mm), and the US 250. .

pumphieght.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo of the later Fox water pump on the left, verses the earlier Round body 144/170/200 water pump (same as Aussie XK/XL/XM/XP/XR)

All the early Us 60-pre US 250 and XK-XR stuff was 4"(101.6 mm). The Aussies then did add some 5/16" (8mm) relief work with the tall deck 188/200/221/250 engines. The early balancer scrapes the sump, practically, and when its upsized to 6-7/8", it was too close to the cork gasket at the front part of the sump. RTV has fixed all that.

The US 250 lead the way to the 4-1/2" long water pump, and to make it easier to swap all the ancillarry drives, the small deck US 200 then got equiped with a 4-1/2" pump, a different kind, but 4-1/2" none the less.

earlydamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.
The early stuff on the US 1960 to pre US 250 engines used the common approx 6" balancer as was used on the XK-XR, it is all set back, right hard against the engine blocks sump.

latedamper.jpg

This ^ is rickwrench's website photo.

The Fox three grove used the same size balancer, in the same postion, but with a triple pulley system, and it was set right back 5/16" (8mm), with the sump relieved to avoid it rubbing the balancer.

There were therefore 5-3/4 and then 6-1/4" small six versions.

Its the Aussie stuff that was set forward 5/16" 8mm.

This ^ is balldrick's photobicket shot of the AussieHB1432N balancer requires a little work on the water pump pulley it the stock water pump is used. .

If you are able to use the larger Aussie noiminal 6-7/8" (174 mm actually) balancer, it just requires an 5/16" metal spacer to shift everything from the water pump into alignment.

The distance from the crank to the water pump on 9.38" deck 200/250 engines is about 6-7/8", so the biggest balancer you can run is 6.85" (174 mm), and the largest water pump pulley before collision is the 6-11/16" (170mm), with just a 3/16" (4.8mm) gap.

On my 81 3.3 Mustang, there is 6" from the water pump to the crank centreline, and the same 3/16"gap between the 6-1/4" harmonic balancer and the 5-3/8" water pump pulley. When you go up to the 6.85" harmonic balancer, then you have to go down to a 4-25/32" water pump pulley at the most. And for sure, the harmonic balancer is 5/16" further out than the stock 200 blancer. But you just add that in a metal spacer, or scratch build a water pump pulley to suit.

rickwrench did a nice 5" twin belt pulley for his short nose 4" 200 water pump.

You have to make one even smaller than this, with ribs to suit the kind of serpentine belt you are using. Due to the portrusion, without an added spacer, 1.9625" (49.85 mm) is as deep as you can go from the front face of the pulley to the back if its machined this way, as the 200 water pumps lower radiator hose interfers,

http://www.v8alfa.com/images-sounds/pulley.pdf

It's just a case or reworking what is there to suit your application.

As for pictures, I've got bucket loads showing the minute differences, but what is above is enough.

See http://www.fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9676
rickwrench":1w1kcv5e said:
A few weeks ago I asked my brother to cut a short H20 pump double pulley for me out of some billet aluminum stock. He dropped it off last night, I want to hang it up in the living room, but it's going on the car tomorrow. I should have the A/C in the Squire up and running just in time for Christmas.
Rick

New pulley.
betterpulleyW.jpg

Xctasy always has good info!

What engine/car/radiator are you working on? I know on a 65-66 room is tight. I researched a clutch fan with someone on this forum but don't remember the part numbers. I may have it written down somewhere.

If you want a flex fan that will work. I have one sitting in my garage. Let me know and I will give you a good deal. :)

If you go the custom pulley route. It is a overdrive pulley. So, it will in spin faster. If your car is a daily driver I would hard anodized it for longevity. I had one made shortly after the pdf was posted. One of the best mods I did.

:unsure: Just a little safety heads up.Don`t use a flex fan.They have been known to come apart.
If you happen to be in line with it when that happens,you can be hurt really bad or worse.If it comes apart at hi way speeds,you can kiss your radiator good by.And maybe a lot of other under hood items also.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

65coupei6":24qqv09n said:
Xctasy always has good info!......

That's because I steal it from the deap murky depths of the Ford Six.Com sewer system, under cover of darkness and parrot it back to you like a member of the French Resitance....

Only problem is getting me to stop.....

"…parroting it back."
sucker's got a fantastically indexed catalogue, thanks Deno!

Shoulda been 1 of those modern high level (media?) librarians
(2nd career when the carpel tunnel retires U?)
;)
:LOL:

I have an aluminum cross flow radiator in my 1962 Falcon with 200 cid engine. I needed a thin flex fan and found this one. Works well. Still need to fab up a shroud for it.

Attachments

• falcon flex fan02.jpg
    falcon flex fan02.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 56
  • falcon flex fan01.jpg
    falcon flex fan01.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 56
Hard 2 C…
What's the 'depth", plez?
Make?
Thnx !

Just remember flexfans cost HP. Get a thermo fan with a shroud. With a thermo fan you can go with 5 blades or 7 blades. The fan will engage when the temperature from the air rises.
Electric fans are the most efficient of the group. Sometimes clearance is the limiting factor.

Crosley":209ouquy said:
chad":209ouquy said:
Hard 2 C…
What's the 'depth", plez?
Make?
Thnx !
If you are asking about my flex fan:
it is a Derale brand # 19117
Thanks for answering:
Yes, sorry Cros -
the distance from the H20 pump flange to the outter most edge of the fan, it's 'depth" ?
Thanks again (got the make).

Back