random question for the Chad Meister!

xctasy

5K+
VIP
Ancient Question, C.F.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60031&p=459787#p459787

chad":24p7mtpj said:
The Carter YF is a good upgrade

Will he not also need adapters to go to the cable throttle? I have a Carter YF (YF 8247 S - on my '68, 170, a falcon engine? in a '70 Bronco) that is oem cable. I thought you guys had rod linkages. My carb is suckin air so is off for a rebuild today. ;)

Do you still have that carb?

If so, what jet and metering rod did it have in it?

Oh boy,
Yes, still got it. Pulled it off to put the YF carb on frm my '69 250 (just to get the 170 runnin around the yrd in prep for a 170/250 swap). The '68 YF musta been cloged w/varnished hi ETOH fuel (wouldn't run). The ~'70 250 had no carb when I rec it.

Can't answ yer Qs. Been playin wida RBS in prep for the 250 swap-in.
So now I got 2 YFs ('68 170 & '69 250). Also a 1/2 axxed 1100 (probably junk) 'n an RBS. As the motor is not in the rig yet I'll B holdin onto all this stuff till the bronk has a 2nd oil change and longer shake down cruze. Which is on another's time table, not mine…

Sorry~

Saul Gooode...

attachment.php

lill different, short rd 2 my ruin~
8^0

Ned (Saul)'s da best as he wrkin 4 change

Plez lemmie No if there's sompin else I can offer~
:beer:
(not Foster's - Founders!)

X:
U may have found what U requested for the 170?
"...Chuck Riblett's BlackHawk blackhawkengr.com jet area and metering rod chart comparisons will give you exactly the right comparitive jet using the information from the 107 metering rods listed in Chart "YFA Carter Ford 200_240_250_300_rods"

chad":3ci6whmn said:
X:
U may have found what U requested for the 170?
"...Chuck Riblett's BlackHawk blackhawkengr.com jet area and metering rod chart comparisons will give you exactly the right comparitive jet using the information from the 107 metering rods listed in Chart "YFA Carter Ford 200_240_250_300_rods"

No, I don't know what one of 107 metering rods and 29 jets the 170 YF carbed i6 had.

A metering rod without a jet reference is useless.

Needle in a haystack kind of stuff. Thankfully, I've got the dial in details to make anything work now, but its still nice to have the factory info.

I've spent years making my SU carbs idle with the right needle, jet and spring info. Same with my Holley 2300 and 4150/4160's. Same with Weber 32/36's and 38'S and ADM 34's....the info is everywhere.

When Carter stopped making these carbs, to info was scuttled, and there is none. Like a 1975 to 1986 Ford, the 1967 to 1986 Carter YF carbed Fords are the information source.

A huge amount of info exists, but its Jeep, AMC and Chev Corvair and Mopar guys that have it, the In line Six Ford info is so fragmented, and its the tremendous knowledge of dudes like Numbers Dummy, FoxChassis and the very deap digging LazyJW, 76Granada and the Big Six guys here who double dip like I have to....they have pieced to gether the info.

Posts like this, where the carb number stamping was 6300, well, its a straight one minute search through one listing in Mikes Carbs, and you've got it.

Numbers Dummy's advice was the correct one, he can't be expected to field non Ford part Carter numbers, but the info the OP requested was actually related the a Jeep or AMC 1973 carb, and that info is at Mikes Carbs and other on line carb suppliers. And there is crap loads of it!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1056 ... ation.html

even though the responding information is wrong for a Non Ford AMC/Jeep carb, these posts are the only way to find out missing info. (y) :beer: :D :mrgreen:

72F-100":3ci6whmn said:
Carter YF jet/metering rod identification
I'm currently rebuilding a Carter YF that I believe originally came on top of a 240, based on the number stamped on the body(6300). I'll be putting it on top of a bone stock 300 and wanted some feedback on if the jets and metering rod are correct for the size motor and elevation (1350 ft) that I'm at.
I'm attaching some pictures and even with a macro lens the number are still kind of hard to read on the metered rod jet.

I believe they are as follows:
Metering Rod - 75-1840

Metering_Rod_75_1840.jpg

Metered Jet - top 125 bottom 40T or 46T

Jet_120_401.jpg

Low Speed Jet - 3623 or 623

LowSpeedJet3623.jpg

Thanks for any help

I made it my mission to answer why guys have so many idle and running problems with these carbs, and its the same as the Thermoquad 4bbl...

1. the carb is fine,

2. its the PCV valves,

3. the metering rod,

4. jets and

5. ignition and VECI diagrams, EVTM info, the feedback control items like Mixture Control Valves, TPS input, and EECIV grounding and continuity problems that screw people over.

The information is there, its enough to make any single or dual or triple YF Carter instillation stand up and holler, but its naming conventions, information sources, and understanding the basics, that takes some show and tell time to break through.

I am in not exactly in love with the YF Carter, but any carb that can win wars and helps the reconstruction of the free world (Jeep CJ3's had YS and YF's) or drag off V8's in 308 Hudsons, or power Big Six Trucks and replace Webers during the most draconian emission era ever, well its just awesome.

And the info here, its the best place to launch in to finding the stuff you need. When I was injured after a wood splitting incident, and not road inspecting, I hit into the info mother lode, and was not disapointed. All it took to get the finshing touches was a few hours of non Ford site YF Carter posts, and they had exactly the same problems...but the info was a little easier to find for Jeep, AMC and Chev Corvair and Mopar guys.

I'm pretty sure Fords ditching the SCV , the Clean Air Act, and loosing controll of Autolite and its patents to a Government anti trust lawsuit, pretty much made Ford use the Carter carb right at the same time Chevy offloaded it in 1967.

The 1-BBL 1940/1945/1946 suddenly became Holley's private bought in components, so did the Carter YF/RBS carbs, and Ford was prevented from using the Themoquad (except in Australia, where every 302C and 351C got it from mid 1976 to 1985),

simply because it had pumped millions in to making its spreadbore 4bbl Motorcraft 4350's work. That little jiucer finally did, in the 1971 Boss 351 and everything up to the 1978 460's and 429's. Then the Variable Venturi carb replaced that and CFi and bought in Holley 4-bbls repaced that.

I believe I remember the wood splitter accident.

You have made it easier to provide info by the included pic (for when I get to the 170 YF carb). I'll pull it off when swapping the 170 to 250 and assuring the fresh motor runs on the RBS. Not sure when I'll B back on that...

Back