Battery drain somewhere

krbostic89

I have a 67 mustang coupe and i have recently had my car shipped cross country for a pcs move. It has developed a slow discharge on the battery when it sits for about 24 hours. Im guessing that something has rattled loose on the move and was curious if yall had any ideas of where to start looking for the short. I am not great with electrical systems, but I know enough that i wired up and installed the dsii. Would love some pointers of where to possibly start looking. Thank you very much in advance.

"...for a pcs move..."
What's that?
Anyhooo, not much of a 'wires guy' but unless you've done some extensive remodeling (or POs have) a 50 y/o ele system is pretty 'caroded'. I'd check a set of schematics for ground location and go to town at each (4 or 5?). Like ur idea abt the jiggling in transport (and doesn't this happen in normal driving conditions?).
What's the specific ele problem?
Continual dead battery?
Wont start?
/OR/?
Each subsystem would need checking according to the specific issue.
U haven't wrked on something recently & inadvertently banged a wire loose w/an elbow or something when not lookin?
Guess if this doesn't ferret it out U start at the battery and move from there checkin each sub system...
That's abt it from me, experts along soon…
BTW: when did U do the DS II ('s not frm that is it)?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_galler ... 3968&.jpg=

I hope this link works... it shows how to disconnect the ground cable from the battery and touch the battery with one end of a test light and connect the test light to the removed ground cable. Make certain the vehicle door is closed so the dome light is not on. If the test light illuminates, there is a draw. By removing fuses 1 at a time [remember to keep door closed], you will determine which circuit is at fault by when the test light goes out.

Since you mentioned having added a DS2 system, is the 12V power being triggered by a "key on only" source?

chad":1wfrnh7p said:
"...for a pcs move..."
What's that?
Anyhooo, not much of a 'wires guy' but unless you've done some extensive remodeling (or POs have) a 50 y/o ele system is pretty 'caroded'. I'd check a set of schematics for ground location and go to town at each (4 or 5?). Like ur idea abt the jiggling in transport (and doesn't this happen in normal driving conditions?).
What's the specific ele problem?
Continual dead battery?
Wont start?
/OR/?
Each subsystem would need checking according to the specific issue.
U haven't wrked on something recently & inadvertently banged a wire loose w/an elbow or something when not lookin?
Guess if this doesn't ferret it out U start at the battery and move from there checkin each sub system...
That's abt it from me, experts along soon…
BTW: when did U do the DS II ('s not frm that is it)?

My specific issue is that im draining the battery completely dead in about 24 hours. If i have a fully charged battery, i dont have any other electrical issues, it runs pretty strong, the charge/discharge indicator doesnt show anything funky, and from what i can tell all the lights work. I did the DSII about 2 years ago. The only thing that ive done to the car since i got it after the the move is recharge and check the battery and get a vaccuum gage to set the mixture and timing for the pacific northwest vice jacksonville fl. But i was having the discharge issue before i started doing that.

Ps, pcs is a permanent change of station, appologies about the jargon.

1986F150six":1qo83gjp said:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/sizeimage.php?photoid=33968&.jpg=

I hope this link works... it shows how to disconnect the ground cable from the battery and touch the battery with one end of a test light and connect the test light to the removed ground cable. Make certain the vehicle door is closed so the dome light is not on. If the test light illuminates, there is a draw. By removing fuses 1 at a time [remember to keep door closed], you will determine which circuit is at fault by when the test light goes out.

Since you mentioned having added a DS2 system, is the 12V power being triggered by a "key on only" source?

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought about just the fuse box thing to at least narrow down the circuit.

I installed the new distributor about 2 years ago and had no issues with electrical at all. Basically, I moved out to the northwest and it sat in my dads garage for about 6 months, he started it and drove it every so often and it ran fine. It got loaded up on the shipping truck and got to me and it had the battery discharge issue.

alternator tired out?
battery " " ?
open grounds drawing off the ions?
clean terminals? etc…
I like all the simple stuff like above "check the fuses"

"...If i have a fully charged battery, i dont have any other electrical issues, it runs pretty strong, the charge/discharge indicator doesnt show anything funky, and from what i can tell all the lights work…."
and "all this goes away" (ie re-discharged battery) after a day's 'sit' ? That's pretty fast/strong for a good battery...

X2. You probably have a bad cell in the battery. They will drain down extremely rapidly, especially if it has been cold. But even in hot weather, the battery will lose charge fast. Like overnight.

Check the date of the battery. Even a five year battery can develop a bad cell early on. You can get the function checked for free at one of the parts stores.

(Hey Chad .... you still make a LOT of sense to me. Keep posting. You're closing in on me.)

BUT…
U know what ur talkin bout
:eek:

The battery is good, replaced in february and just had it tested at autozone, no bad cells. Thanks for the places to at least start to track it down. Im gonna go hunting this weekend and I'll check back.

Have the alternator tested and if your car also has a seperate voltage regulator have that tested as well. Good luck :nod:

:unsure: Have seen batteries that are junk fresh off the delivery truck.Back in the early 90`s,Interstate brand were the worst.At least in the area where I was working at the time.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

"Back in the early 90`s,Interstate brand were the worst"

Die Hard died easily too, back then: 7 = 3 [years]. I started getting 1 year batteries and using them until they died.Then replaced them with a new 1 year.

If the battery is okay, now check the alternator and/or voltage regulator. Then the starter solenoid.

Back