Cam help. The last owner set me up

sivadmatt99

Ok here we go. I bought a 63 Falcon about 3 years ago. The previous owner informed me that the engine has been rebuilt and had a mild cam in it. Today I had the valve cover off and noticed it had hydraulic lifters. Block is a C3DE. Which leads me to believe that it is not drilled for hydraulic lifters and should have a solid lifter cam. So can i run solid lifters on a comp cams lift.425 duration .050 206 cam. I would much rather buy new lifters
Thanks matt

Did the previous owner give you the cam card?? If its a hydraulic grind you cannot put solid lifters in there.
You may have to pull the camshaft to see what you have. Never install lifters on a used camshaft. I have seen it done, but not recommended.
Your best bet is to purchase a new solid lifter camshaft with new solid lifters & start from scratch.

wsa111":377ka219 said:
Did the previous owner give you the cam card?? If its a hydraulic grind you cannot put solid lifters in there.
You may have to pull the camshaft to see what you have. Never install lifters on a used camshaft. I have seen it done, but not recommended.
Your best bet is to purchase a new solid lifter camshaft with new solid lifters & start from scratch.

Yes I have the cam card it is hydraulic, I was going to call comp in the morning and see what they said. So a new question. Mostly stock 170 with a C4 what should I look for in a solid lifter cam?

Hi, I have a couple of questions for you. What made you decide the engine has hydraulic lifters? It is hard to see the see the lifters. Are the rockers adjustable or non adjustable? How does it run? Good luck

Call Jerry @ Schneider cams & he will choose the correct grind for your engine. Probably a 252 or a 256 grind. At the same time get his lifters & most important are the valve springs. The stock will not do the job.

B RON CO":15kulmja said:
Hi, I have a couple of questions for you. What made you decide the engine has hydraulic lifters? It is hard to see the see the lifters. Are the rockers adjustable or non adjustable? How does it run? Good luck

I can see the top of them. Thay are hydraulic. Runs ok. Just down on power.
wsa111":15kulmja said:
Call Jerry @ Schneider cams & he will choose the correct grind for your engine. Probably a 252 or a 256 grind. At the same time get his lifters & most important are the valve springs. The stock will not do the job.

I was just looking at there web site. I think the last owner did the comp cam kit. Looked like 298 valve springs. I will call thanks

Back