best hot weather mechanical fuel pump for 200?

edgewood bronco

Running into fuel delivery issues in the heat of the day driving through the desert (high 90's/low 100s). I assume this has to do with ethanol. I can't seem to find any non-ethanol gas out here in New Mexico. Short of going to an electric fuel pump, does anybody have recommendations on the highest pressure/volume pump available for our 200 out there? I've got a NAPA unit on there now, not sure who makes it, but it's the standard over the counter one. I'm running a pressure regulator, but it's wide open and still isn't getting enough fuel to the carb at 70mph (ca. 3400 rpm) on the interstate.
Surely somebody in Las Vegas, Phoenix or Tucson has experience with this.
Thanks!

I purchased a carter & it puts out 7# then after the regulator 5#. The problem after shutting off engine its takes so long to loose pressure, heat soak boils the fuel & causes flooding. I run an electric to it so I have no fuel starvation.
The electric pump alone is probably the best cause it looses its pressure after shutdown so there is no fuel pressure to the needle & seat of the carb.
I really need to put a larger heat shield under the intake to keep the header heat off the carb. & intake.
I'm in SC so your heat is even worse than mine.

Trying to understand... you have an electric pump near/in the tank, a carter mechanical pump on the block, and a regulator between the block and carb?
thanks!

:unsure: They act as heat sinks.Many moons ago a friend has those problems.tried the wooden ones.No joy.Robbed 6 of his Moms aluminum ones off the clothes line.Worked like a champ.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

X2 yes clothes pins can work to disapate heat (y) you could also use some rubber fuel line cut a slit leaght wise and then use some sip ties to hold it on. Good luck :nod:

"...use some rubber fuel line cut a slit leaght wise..."
to wrap fuel line - as an insulator?

this US Carter fuel pump

xctasy":2s4f5rf3 said:
As posted elseware, my 81 had a leaking D6DE 6749 AB fuel pump, and as I was down in New Zealand I couldn't quickly get a US$20 replacement item.

I've added an Austrailian FPM-000A pre 1982 Bendix made Carter A31223 non bleedback pump off my 250 X-flow to the related US 200 i6.

The 82 Alloy Head Cross Flow Falcons, Fairmonts and Fairlanes had 2-bbl Weber ( a Fiat 131 style 34ADM) And a return line variant of the fuel pump above, similar to the US 4-BBL 4180C return line fuel pump in 5.0/5.8/370/460 engines

The Carter A31223 with bleed back top

FPM-008FuelReturnlineCarterfuelpumpforFalcon_FairmontXE_XF33_41LiterXflowAlloyheadIIWeber34adm2bblengines.jpg

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... 81-mustang)/page2

Aussie 3.3/4.1 x-flow return line pump

250XFlowReturnLineCarterFuelPump.jpg

from your choice of VIN engine codes depend on its 3.3/4.1, carb or EFI status. E,V,B, X or L code as below.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70372

The XE/XF leaded 97 RON engine codes
Y = 4.1 EFI 164 hp DIN net
E =High Compression HC 4.1 2BBL, 138 HP DIN net (9.38" deck seven bearing, wide block, 160 teeth flywheel or flexplate)
V or B = High Compression HC 3.3 2BBL, 121 HP DIN net (9.38" deck seven bearing, wide block, 160 teeth flywheel or flexplate)

The New South Wales Leaded RON 97 Emmision XF engine codes* undisclosed HP loss
Y = 4.1 EFI 164 hp DIN net(All states same)
X = High Compression HC 4.1 1V, 138 HP DIN net (9.38" deck seven bearing, wide block, 160 teeth flywheel or flexplate)
L = Medium Compression MC 3.3 1V 115 HP DIN net (9.38" deck seven bearing, wide block, 160 teeth flywheel or flexplate)

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... bowle-vent

A few people have asked what can be done to fix the cold stuble and off idle stutter common to 85 hp Fox 3.3 sixes.

Most people have hot starting issues, and there is a lack of info on these carbs.

The problem in hot areas is much like a car having hot fuel handling problems. Although not THE primary solution, such a set up works as a band aid repair. Ford and GM did it when they decided not to do underhood shielding and other changes that Ford used with the 5.0 V8 HO carb cars from 1982 to 1985, cars that had 8.5 psi of fuel pressure possiable at the carb.

Most people who work there cars, like to strip off the factory parts, and with headers, open air cleaners, and no fan shroad and air snorkles, you'll need fuel line blead back.

Its like this car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUmaAQoHggM

The problem wasn't really fuel pressure, but what was done to the shrouding and the exhaust and carb. If factory Fox or F150 style shrouding and air cleaners were used, he'd not have needed any fuel pressure bleedoff.

Ford Australia first had this problem during the Aussie Draughts in the early 80's, and the solution on the 1982 to 1992 in line sixes was to have a blead back return line to the fuel tank.

The Carter fuel pump got revised like this below. Again, if Ford Australia had used some of the US style hoses, shrouding, and sperpentine drives, they could have kept the fuel pressure up like the 8.5 psi the 1982 to 1985 carb 5.0 Mustangs used, and just used the priority carb bowel vent, but they instead used the European Fiat carb. Go figure!

That is perhaps the easiest solution to one aspect of your problem. Its certainly not stock solution for your years Ford Mustang though.

On GM Holden 173, 202 sixes, and the 253 and 308 v8 engines, they used the same vapour line as the 1981 to 1985 VV7200 carbed Panther Platform cars like the LTDS, Crown Victoias, Grand Marquis etc. They had a device which blead back vapor pressure to the fuel tank. When there is too much vapor pressure, the needle and seat locks off and stops the car running right.

XT5GMHoldenCommodoreTripminderFuelflowmeter.jpg.html

Fuel pressure control and vapor control aren't exactly the same, and adding a set up like the ones above might help, but there are other ways to fix the stutter and idle issues.

The issues and manner in which the stock 4.2, 5.0 AND 5.8 Panthers with the VV7200 carb did there job was discussed in post #8

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?175328-Will-Magnaflow-Cats-fit-on-my-Long-tube-H-Pipe

Anyway, the other issues that will be causing the actual problem.

9 times out of 10, its this part,

1. The intake manifold adaptor and its

Vehicle Emissions Control Information=VECI, which governs
Vacum, Emissions, Carb, and Ignition line settings

p41425_image_large.jpg

The aluminum intake adaptor that links the carb to the iron head. On your 79, it has a problematic adaptor dating from 1974 that doubles as an EGR post, so it suffers hot and cold leaks, and sometimes has cracks that hurt the idle. The EGR function is tied in with the VECI diagram, and its important that any diodes to and from the AIR, EGR, and the Choke are correctly attached. Just having an MCA judged car doesn't mean the parts are correctly arrayed. There are about 70 emission control features on the 79. Any one of them can be the problem.

Do ensure you snub the carb and carb adapter up evenly with a small torque wrench i9f you can, there is only two bolts 180 degrees to each other, and the whole 1-bbl carb wobbles like a b stard after a few years of service.

Same with the 240/300/4.9 big six truck engines, a leaking carb base is such a common problem, and its sometimes hard to track, and even harder to take the hour or so to snub it down properly. You can do it with hand tools like a cranked open ended spanner, but unless the gaskets are right, its easy to unequally load one bolt, and get a leak.

The recommended torque settings are here

http://classicinlines.com/SmallSixSpecs.asp#TorqueSpecs

Intake = 16-18 lb-ft

Some 1-bbls on 144-170-200-250 and 240-300's have four bolts with two bolts down low, two up high, the two clocked at a weird angle. Leaks are so common.

2. Ignition Settings and Components, namley "Advance Curve issues and non spefication parts (like ignition caps) that were sold that were out of factory spec in there plastic mouldings and spring tensions.

Vac advance systems that are worn out, or aftermarket distributor caps that don't even have the six leads indexed the way that Ford intended. Although all Ford I6's are the worlds most simple sixes ever, they sure do have a bunch of really simple things that can be wrong that make 'em hard to tune.

3. Electrical Earthing

a) I'd look at the engine block earth to the engine first, make sure there is chassis to block continuty, and set up a second earth strap somewhere on the cylinder head. I'd ensure the Duraspark II has clean contact points and wire continuity. They are getting old, and wires that look and test as being items with continuity, aren't always fully functioning.

b) I'd put the ignition advance and whole distributor on a Sun analyser to see that its in spec. I have two US contacts who I trust after many years of co work with the Ford Six Performance forum.

c) The ignition switch needs to be checked.

d) The battery may be shorting through its 9 plates...that can create non starting cars when hot.

4. Mechanical Blueprint settings for timing, preload, backpressure, fuel supply volume and pressure variations

I'd recheck

a) the hydraulic lifter settings with a proper lifter setting tool that bottoms out the lifters, and then re-set the lifter preload clearances to spec.

b) I'd then test the backpressure in the exhaust. The catalyst could simply be creating excess back pressure. More than 6 spi is too much at wid open throttle/4500 rpm.

c) I'd renew the fuel pump, and then check the positioning of it to maximse peak pressure to 5 to 6 psi and total out put for 85 bhp net. Just preositioning the fuel pump on its bolts can change the stroke of the fuel pump, and fatten its fuel delivery pressure and out put.

d) The other thing is harmonic dampener slip. The stock 9 Degrees Before Top Dead Center of whatever won't be as indicated by a timing light after a few years of dampener rubber ageing. The timing slips when rest to spec.

In a similar way, within just six months of operation, the stock single row timing chain suffers a huge amount of spark scatter and cam duration change from acceleration to cruise. In terms of engine idle stability, the stock ignition timing is then out of whack, and it scatters under load and over run. A Mustang uses the same kind of timing chain dimensions as a twin row timing chain on an A series Healy Bug Eye Sprite, and it was used to tighten up idle quaity and timing. It got retrofitted to the late sixties Australian Ford Falcons to help improve safety under load (the cam can hit the con rods when the engines timing chain stretches with old age, but it always a good policy to upgrade it)

Second lastly

5. Its the Ultimate Econo Engine!

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...-to-improve-six-cylinder-mustang-performance/

Some passing notes on the last thing to do.

6. Rebuiding the Carb.

The choke set up for 1979 chaged in the early 80's to the 25 psi of vac applied to the choke unloader. I'm not sure on what the 1979 spec is, but it has the EGR port proble, no control purge cycle for the car vent tube, and the adjustment for fuel enrchiment under throttle is by just bending the accerator pump wire.

The 1946 Holley is just an advanced Autolite 1101, or Holley 1940, Holley 1945 (also branded as the Autolite or Motorcraft). Its similar to the Chrysler 1945 carb.

Bending is the method for adding pump stroke to the accerator pump. On the old carbs from 1961 to 1969, it was via a triangular plate with sloted holes.

The last thing I would do, after all esle, is rebuild the carb.

Due to the problems with modern fuel, your best bet is to contact Will Ambler (was111) or Farron Rhoads "FordSedan Delivery", and have a second exchanged distributor recurved away from factory stock to remove the dead spot. A Duraspark II will cope with a huge amout of intial advance, and a greatly reduced total advance with a more aggressive spark advance growth.

All these 6 things above things were changed by the Australians when the 1976- 1991 3.3/4.1 Cross flow, and the Americans six cylinder Falcon six derived HSC 2.3 and 2.5 came out in the Tempo/Topaz/Tracer and Tauruses between 1984 and 1986. They were not fixed on the US 3.3 because they were the worlds cheapest to build six cylinder engine.

Hope this helped some.

Carb is the last on the list, but the rebulding of it is simple. Internally, the Holley 1940, 1945, 1946 Brass Float is the same.

The problem is that the 1940, 1945, and 1946 Holley's aren't the same carb externally, but readically different externally due to the choke position changes, and the vent tube changes. For a simple 1-bbl, its very prone to finding vac leaks, and having the check balls the wrong size, weight, or the specifications messed up.

To rebuld the 1946, you have to follow the Mikes Carbs Holley 1940 rebuild, and then the 1945 Mopar Holley version, and then, lastly, work out what is different with the 1946.

The 1946 kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALbDtnxvRo

The 1940 kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_pAzqRNlc

The foundational 1940 Holley rebuld videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzHc0BKexlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht18I7djTZM

The foundational Mopar 198/225 1945 Holley carb video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBti9Y-5g60

See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?171649-1981-Ford-Granada-GL-3-3L-i6-help

The best carb?

This carb, the Weber ADM/ADR 34 with 27/29 mm chokes and bleed back fuel line.

IMG_0598.jpg

https://www.recarb.com.au/image/cache/d ... 59_5990%20[640x480]-500x500.jpg

and its loved everywhere. Fords. Holdens. Peugeots

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeo ... r-xn1.html

Hong Kong Puggy":2s4f5rf3 said:
9th July 2012, 04:06 PM #16 Hey 505STI,
Just checked ebay mate and there are a heap of 34ADM's there these days, some rebuilt ones.
The carby guy who said it was the wrong size for a 2L 4cyl is a bigger goose than ever afetr reading ebay.......there are recommendations there for the carb on 2L engines.

Hey mud, how are you Owen. Geez the 34 is now a popular choice mate, feel like a pioneer?

"...Weber ADM/ADR 34 with 27/29 mm chokes and bleed back fuel line..."
new 1 on me. Thanks!

As usual a USA "YMM" would help my research...
Were they on any of 'our' vehicles?

Seems one'd need the compatible fuel pump U listed?

Ethanol and Oxygenated blends are aromatically inferior fuels, supplied to look after the United States EPA and fuel tax issues, a Win/Win situation for everyone in the the USA.

For guys with pre 1981 carbs, you just have to look at the systems used in 1981, and use them to eliminate fuel percolation.

Total solution now is Carb AMC Jeep style pressure reduction, without fuel flow reduction.

This was a solution resisted by Ford USA for other cost and saftey related issues. AMC Jeep Chrylser Corps Colt captive imports with the Astron Silent Shaft 2000 and 2600 engines were the exceptions.

The Europeans fixed it first after a raft of Ford Pinto style under hood fires in Weber 2-bbl Ford Capris, Zephyr Zodiacs, Ford Cortinas; they hasitly rushed into bleed back Weber 32/36 DGAV and 38DGAS carbs in 1971.

Ford USA refused to do this for European engined Ford Pinto, and instead spent a huge amount of money puting better quality Holley Weber 5200/6200 carbs on there 4.5 psi restricted fuel pump EAO 2 Liters, Lima (Brazillian) 2300's and Ford 2600 and 2800 import engines.

The Ford of Europe 'BLEED BACK' solution wasn't somthing the Ford USA was happy with because there were already other matters to do with Federal carsh safety, and adding a bleed back line wasn't ever an option, even after 1979 to 1981, when the Evaporative emissions regulations got a whole light tighter. What was done instead was bowl venting and air cleaner TVS controll, and better fuel pump design.

To be clear, in 1979, all domestic car makers were forced by USA Californian law to develop Bowl Vent carbs for the 1981 model year, so if they didn't have a bowl vent, they then had to have a vapor return line somewhere else. The soltion was the Trip Minder vapor recover line for some Panther platform cars, and some GM cars. Ohter wise, it was time to fully re-engineer your carb.

As stated, the Austrlian Bleed back Carter fuel pump is a reworked US Carter fuel pump (AMC, actually), with a return line percolation reserviour, used on 200 and 250 cubic inch Australian 1976 to 1982 Fords, then updated to cover the new EU 1983 (US 1973 Leaded gas but unleaded capable ), then EU 1986 (US 1975 Unleaded) emissions.

That's it. So you add a differernt top to an existing Carter US fuel pump design.

For bleed back, you use the Jeep YFA 1-bb l or 2-bbl 2150 return line filter. You can use the Colt 2600 Silent shaft platic item, both are fuel filters with bleedback.
Moving forward to
1990's Oxygenated and late 00's high ethanol content gasoline.

This re-creates the problems Detroit fixed in 1981.

Detriot fixed it on the 5.0 Mustangs and Carb 5.0/5.8/6.6/7.0 and 7.8 liter 302/351/370/429/460 trucks by having a bowl vented float to stop the fuel pressure problems when running 8.5 psi of needle and seat pressure. All the 4180C and 2300EG and 4190EG truck carbs got this from 1979, and it avoids bleed back by having a very well calibrated Two Stage power valve and Thermatic Valve Sensor air cleaner with an electric Bowl vent. Probably the best ever 4-BBL or 2-bbl carb system Holley ever made for FoMoCo.

GM Holden in Australia did the same thing, refused bleed back, but the Rochester Varajet and Quadrajet carbs got the same kind of vapor return line system to take care of Hot Fuel Handling.

On other Fords, all 1981 onwards Fords got a vented float bowl, or a Vapor retutn line if they had the Carb and Trip Minder MPG meter.

Lastly, the Weber 34 ADM/Weber 34 ADR is the pre 1982 EFI carb used in all US Fiats and Lancias from 1975 -1982.

The cars were land mark rust buckets, made from Soviet Steel which Fiat got via its Communist party links with Poliski Fiat in Poland and Zhiguli cars made in Tolyatti, in a plant built by the Italians.

In terms of numbers about 16200 or so Lancia Beta sedan (Berlinetta), Coupe and Zagato Spyder , Montecarlo, later renamed Lancia Scorpion.

For 1975 to 1982, there was the Fiat 124 Sport Spider, 131, 132 and the Fiat X1/9.

Fiat sales in the US fell from a high of 100,511 cars in 1975 to 14,113 in 1982.

Fiats used EFI in 1982. In 1983, Fiat left the United States car market with a reputation for poor quality cars in North America.

The Fiat/Lancia carb used was the basically the same as the Falcon 200/250 Weber 2-bbl

hummm
I think I had a silver Lancia Beta Coupe of that era, several 124 Spiders.
That & the Fiat were imports with the ADM/ADR 34. OK, no USA YMM.

"...The Fiat/Lancia carb used was the basically the same as the Falcon 200/250 Weber 2-bbl..."
in design? not manufacturer? (?an Autolite 2100?) I didn't know the i6 came with a 2V oe.

You mentioned the H/W 5200 I call the"pinto carb". Isn't that W"s "DGES 32/34"? the "Holley 5200"?

Only the ADM/ADR requite the tank return & above specified fuel pump?
(y)

:nod:

Yes the return line and the fuel pump to run the Weber 34 ADM.

But for ultimate simplicty, you can just run the Jeep/AMC fuel filter.

xctasy":3o214pzb said:
http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... 81-mustang)
uncleterry;1692468 said:
xctasy, that cylindrical facet pump you say you have had on your car for 6 years - is it still dead head? still works fine in the application i am putting it? doesn't need a return line? Can't find much in the way of info on it online so if it works on yours in a similar fashion I will know for sure and buy one later this week!

Thanks for your help guys!

That was a quote from muller, not myself.

The Facet when run with 8 to 10 volts, and kept in a low head/pressure situation, will work fine. Its called bleedback, and you can do it by bying a little plastic filter that was used in AMCs and Jeeps.

The bleedback systems used in Colt Sigmas and Jeeps with carby engines reduce fuel pressure by letting the fuel go back to the tank unless it is being used...the post 1972 Cortina/Capri/Sierra system is the same. On the DGAV 32/36, a second outlet from the float blead fuel back via a 0.6 mm hole as the mechanical fuel pump could make 5 psi on a good day, but Webers only liked 3 psi, so bleed back 'bled' off fuel pressure. Very good system.

Duralast makes them today. http://www.autozone.com/1/categories/amc-pacer-fuel-filters

They look like this ZO6 Corvette fuel tank item, but the Mitsubishi ones were plastic, and AMC ones were steel One line goes back to the tank to eliminate vapour lock.

1_2002_fuel_filter_1.JPG

1_2002_fuel_filter_2.JPG

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/n-e-1-ever-heard-fuel-filter-w-internal-regulator-failing-122958/

Thanks for the info folks. It's cooled off here now and I'm just skating by when I'm running at 70 (ca. 3300 RPMs) in the afternoons. It's fine until I have to maintain speed up a hill and then it starts to miss. Long-term I guess I'll go for an in-tank electric pump. I don't see a more reliable option than that, although I do prefer to keep it original. the vacuum wipers will miss the boost.

Back