Can someone ID these carbs?

sefus

My father found a couple 1bbls he forgot he had. Thinks he got them with an 86 F250 with a 300 in it. No tags or markings I can see except for one that says Carter/Weber.

Hoping I lucked into something to replace my ho hum holley 1940. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0674[1].JPG
    IMG_0674[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0677[1].JPG
    IMG_0677[1].JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Looks like could be Autolite 1100 and Carter/FoMoCo (weber?) YF series, which 1100 or YF' takes a little more investigation with the ' list numbers' or application charts. YF series used in six cars and trucks with more electronics into 80's . YF can be an excellent upgrade to earlier six cars, CFM varies with OEM application. .

haev fun

50' and 70's YF's

Feedback Carter YFA. These are 1981 to 1989 4.9 Big Six or 83-86 2.3 OHC Fox/ Ranger carbs. Control was by MCU or EECIV "ECU".

A great, but very missunderstood carb, most problems are the 65 dollar Mixture Control Solenoid and its interaction with the ECU sensors.

FrenchTown Flyer said it best, something like "Could Ford have made a less helpfull Feedback carb than the 4.9 EECIV carb system? I think not...."

20130312_202810_zpsdf2dd90e.jpg

20130312_202954close_zps13e258ad.jpg

The part number on the Mixture Control Solenoid and another stamped on the carb body, and another Motorcraft Number on the tin tag on the tells you if its E-van /F-truck 4.9 or Fox/ Ranger 2.3. Two kinds. The one above is an 86 2.3 Mustang 1-bbl YFA Carter Feedback.

The Feedback YFA is a direct copy of the AWD SU HIF 7, 6 and 44 carbs used in the later 1980 EU emissions English British Leyland 3.4 Jags and some emissions Austin Rover 4 and 6 cylinder cars like the SD1 Rover 4 cyl 2000 and 6 cyl 2300/2600.

David Vizard used this on the 55 mpg, 55mph 1275 Mini Clubman he took around the USA in the early 80's, and described the system.

It works the same way, by reducing float bowl stage to weaken and lean off fuel mixture. Carter metering rod carbs and SU's have similar enrichment philosphies.

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18810&start=45":32wkqyvb said:
"The Additional Weakening Device works (leans the mixture) by lowering the fuel level in the jet. It does this by changing the pressure differential between the end of the jet (the carb throat) and the fuel in the float bowl. Normally the fuel in the float bowl is subjected to standard air pressure, as the float bowl is vented as per the image below:"

Wow that feedback YF is funky. So if a guy had them both, which would you concentrate on for a rebuild then install on a 200i6 with a DSII system and just wanting to jump in a drive the car, not pretending its a race car or something its not? I guess can the YF be modified to work without the ecu metering stuff easily enough or is it a big pain?

sefus":1k81f4xx said:
Wow that feedback YF is funky. So if a guy had them both, which would you concentrate on for a rebuild then install on a 200i6 with a DSII system and just wanting to jump in a drive the car, not pretending its a race car or something its not? I guess can the YF be modified to work without the ecu metering stuff easily enough or is it a big pain?
The 1100 is for a manual trans application. I do not see a SCV so it may be a 68 with ported vacuum.
Look inside the hole where a SCV would go & see if its threaded & has vacuum ports inside. If so its a 67-66-65 loadamatic carb.
This can be modified to work with the DS11. See my tech article at the bottom of the forum.

sefus":1zsd0vbt said:

Not just funky, but it was cutting edge in mixture control......when it worked.

They are still around today, but many have been by passed by doo gooders who are forced to rebell to look after an otherwise good truck or specialty coupe, and find the draconian rule of EECIV all too complicated.

If you want to, you buy a 65$ ArduinoBoardUno, add narrow band O2 sensor, and run the Pulse Width Modulation open source code to open loop the air fuel mixture.

Actually, it was 64 200 ranchero who first had the idea. You can control safe systems with a servo these days. Not accelerator, but choke puilloff, fuel control are aho so easy to manage.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67077&p=523238#p523238

64 200 ranchero":1zsd0vbt said:
i bought this type of servo setup, i think i can adapt it somehow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSmRWhTQ ... re=related

EECIV is not a system I'd recommend unless you convert to a TFi ignition.

These things run best at leaner than the 14.7 :1 indicated or 15.1 actual on todays fuel blends. 15.5 or 16.1 is possible.

I am serious about the Carter YFA carb being an option. Technology is so cheap now, and the parts supply for this carb has improved considerably.

The YFA Feedback Two Step metering rod info exists now, too. The Feedback YFA has two kinds of generic calibration, that is changed with just the metering rod and Mixture Control Slenoid.

For Use with two kinds of Mixture Control Solenoid 2.3 Ranger/Mustang/Capri E4PZ-9S565-C or MX 33 or MCS-8

or the much richer Big Six 4.9 MX 32 or MCS-9 and its two step rod.

In my humble opinion, the only mistake was for Ford to add to these systems to a somewhat complicated 35 year old veteran carb with check valve and variation prone issues already AND THEN add a very sophisticated EECIV control module. That was, um, optimistic....

As a utility maintenance worker, I did work on Liquid Propane conversions, and the Ak Miller writen 1984 TSB manual said this trouble some piece could be jumpered by an Impco Fuel Control Valve, which then allowed the EECIV computer and MCS to behave normally, but it would be remote controlled by another system, Impcos Command Module.

These days, a little

MCS-8 Ford 1 Barrel YFA Pulse Solenoid 1983-86 Ford & Mercury 4 cyl., 1983-84 Ford Truck 4 cyl.

The Holley 1-bbl 6145, 6149, 6153, look the same as the YFA Feed Back Carb, but are not the same, and don't have the Mixture Control Solenoid.

Ford's generic 4 cyl 2.3 OHC replacement part is

E4PZ-9S565-C

Walker 318-2006 still supply it

TO-8516.jpg

Its Standard Motor Part MX-33

"http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Standard-MX33-NEW-Mixture-Control-Solenoid-FORD-MERCURY-1983-1986-/282029461641"

MCS-9 Ford 1 Barrel YFA Pulse Solenoid 1983-86 Ford Truck 6 cyl.

No longer serviced, they say.

But its around! Standard Motor Part MX -32

"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mixture-Control-Solenoid-Standard-MX32-fits-1983-Ford-F-150-4-9L-L6-/162474041769?hash=item25d43521a9:g:0hIAAOSwjDZYmbf0&vxp=mtr"

See https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?t=49168

MCS-9.jpg

Its basically fine untill the Pulse Width Modulated Mixture Control Solenoid goes on holiday. Then it pootentially reads the knock sensor, and can then potentially retard the igntion to a set amount, and the EECIV goes into a Skylab orbit, and crashes because the TFi, O2 sensor, knock sensor and MCS cant work within normal limits. The idle surges, and the miles per gallon goes up to 460 Big block level....

The other issue is the nitrophyl coating...it can come off the MCS, get caught in the carb, and you'll never be able to adjust it unless you strip and rebuild the carb and check the float bowl for detritus.

If you know about it, its simple and fool proof. If you don't, and no-one did in the 1981 to 1989 era, then its a pest.

I knew a little about it in 1984, from the Impco Propane Tech Support Bulettins, because my Work Shop Manger was a Ford trained Service techncian who did Propane Conversions, and they pumped heaps of that good old EECIV Blue Injection stuff into his viens before he became my boss.

sefus":pzvy347h said:
So convert the 1100, got it lol :D

I wouldn't. An old 85-92 Aussie Falcon 3.3/4.1 Carb TFi fits your engine. They are normally easy to find and transplant. A TFi is a better ignition system than a Duraspark if you keep a spare control unit in the glovebox.

Its very hard to push the little YFA Truck Ranger/Mustang/Capri system off line, the F250, easy. The way the computer operated was different. With the little 4 cyl 2.3, it was cycling all the time and triming mixture. The F trucks, it operated from the knock sensor, which would frequently fail.

The carbs are the 99% same, just metering rod and the MCS differ.

So I'd try the YFA, and feed it an old EECIV or MCU from a Ranger or Fox 2.3.

How easy? Well, just hookups if you can find something junked.

Another had to push off line EEC was the old EECIII 302/351M truck computer, you could wack in a Holley 4-bbl, and it would still run without the Feedback carb.

If you use the F150 carb, it can operate fine without a lot of EECIV input if its the Ranger/Fox 2.3 computer running it. Just hookups. As long as it has TFI and TPS running through it.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... ost1853551

Back