1970 250 Carb and spacer

Joej27

I recently dropped a 200 from a 68 mustang into my 69 bronco. Once upon a time, someone put a head off a 1970 250 on the block. When they installed the carb, they just drilled and tapped holes to fit the earlier ford carb spacer. The new position wasnt centered over the bore. Massive vacuum leaks ensued. Im trying to find the correct carb spacer to fit the 250 intake. Google has not been my friend. Seems all my local junkyards got together and decided not to keep any carb parts around anymore. Anyone happen to have one laying around they would part with? Maybe even a good 1V carb too since Ill have to replace my Holley 1904, it seems to make the engine run without all the power it should have.

"... to fit the earlier ford carb spacer. ..."
a stop over to Matt with Vintage Inlines .com may go far with your need.
He has helped alot of us around here (a ford6 member as well)...

Does the carb match the dizzy for the feedback system? ie is there SCV/LOM incompatability?
Many complain of the same issue when disregarding this ign. advance system. (see 2nd blue horizontal line above, click "Tech Archive" & read abt carb/dizzy feedback if needing more info).

The carb and dizzy came off the 170 I swapped out. They should match up. Pretty certain the massive vacuum leaks are the root of my problems. Ive been making gaskets to help cover the bore, it runs well for 20 miles or so, then gives off the shrill whistle when they start to fail. Will have to stop and adjust the idle up ridiculously high to get it home under its own power.

Joej27":1ti29jus said:
The carb and dizzy came off the 170 I swapped out. They should match up. Pretty certain the massive vacuum leaks are the root of my problems. Ive been making gaskets to help cover the bore, it runs well for 20 miles or so, then gives off the shrill whistle when they start to fail. Will have to stop and adjust the idle up ridiculously high to get it home under its own power.

Can you post some pictures of those gaskets and the intakes opening showing the fit and were its failing? You should also be able to find the correct size and thickness of carb base gaskets at your local auto parts store like NAPA. Good luck :nod:

I have no clue how to post photos on these types of sites. The parts stores keep trying to give me the spacer to carb gaskets with the 2 3/4" bolt pattern.

You may find one on ebay or car-part.com
I found a flywheel for my 250 on ebay. You just never know what you will find on there. Glad you made it to this site, we like Broncos.

Ive tried ebay and the like, no luck on the spacer. I may have found someone who will fab an adapter for me so I can still use my 1904 carb. Hope it works.

Hi, you can also consider the later larger 1 barrel and more modern later distributor upgrades. It makes a big difference in performance using off the shelf Ford parts. Read all about it in the Falcon Performance Handbook. Good luck

I've got a 250 carb spacer/EGR port thingy I'm not using I swapped to a motor craft 2150 2v and love it, I've also got a Carter RBS carb that was stock on my 250 I would include....I think the needle is stuck though as it was flooding out.....I didn't have enough interest to troubleshoot it as I was swapping to the 2v anyhow, pm me I'll make you a deal!!! Also in a bronco lol!

Joej27":2edk5o8n said:
I have no clue how to post photos on these types of sites. The parts stores keep trying to give me the spacer to carb gaskets with the 2 3/4" bolt pattern.

Hi Joej27, you will find all the info in the below link on how to post your pictures. Only other thing you need to find is one of the free Photo hosting sites there are still a few, some others are now wanting to charge a fee. Good luck :nod:

Photo Posing Info

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=48863

Get the Maverick and the f150 put the 300 and 5spd from the f150 sell me the 250, buy an eBay turbo, and done, 10 second i6 car!!!!!

Back