250 build and questions

Ok so here it goes, I'm puting a 250 in my 69.5 maverick. its a 78 engine out of a granada so farits been rebuilt but its lack luster compared to my stock 73 engine. Engine specks as i know
78 block 30 over smog dish pistons
Stock cam
78 head rebuilt with 3 angle valves

parts i plan to put on
Clay 264 264 110 cam
Dual out header
Adjustable rockerarms
Duraspark ii
2 into 1 carb adaptor w/ autolight 2100 1.08

Is this a good start? Should i put a higher stall converter if so what rpm v8 spec should it be? I eventually want a head with split manifold but hear theres clearance issues in the mavericks with the ci intake. Any help is great.

I do wanna build a block with new rods and pistons eventually so that advise is great to

Sounds awesome, that is a great Maverick you have. Are you aware of the Falcon Performance Handbook? It is a great resource for the Ford six owner looking for performance mod info. It is worth way more than the few dollars it cost I refer to mine often. You may want to consider direct mount of the 2100.

Ya i do have the hand book, im finally rebuilding my first car after its been non op for 12 years. I would do the direct mount but in my area we really dont have a good machine shop that i know of. Id love a oz 2v or ci head. Just begining budget is tight with the other repairs

"...dont have a good machine shop that i know of…."
I don't C ur location on ur posts but U may wanna try our "mechanic and machine shop referral" forum.
'Click' on the "Board Index" - I think you'll find that forum listed.

With guidance from here, the Handbook, the Classic Inlines Archive (also above -click on "Tech Archive") any "chebby 350 machinist" can achieve what U seek. U just hafta be firm with the proprietor/miller, know the motor well, & B a good self-advocate (frm a sound knowledge base).
I repeated myself 4 a reason.

Thanks for the advice on finding a machine shop. Its hard to find some one to trust.... My rebuilt engine was suposed to have a cam and early timinfg set along with small dish pistons but the shop just did a stock 78 smog rebuild.... Wont go back there after that.

Ok lil update i forgot another reason im not realy wanting to mod this head is im looking for a tempo tbi the 73 head will probly get moded for a 2bbl when i do the test build with new rods and pistons so ican mount a chevy tbi im realy wanting a ms2 system

Its all about personal choices, but even though the stock US 250's one time rating of 155 to 145 hp between 1969 to 1971 was a gross exaduration (it only had 102 to 95 hp net, and ended up 99 hp in 1978 to 1980 in the last Granada X shells.....it was an all time low hp for that hobbled race horse....even Jack Collins 66 Mustang in "Crossflow Chronicles" before the Cross Flow with the 250/AOD swap and Carter YFA gave about 185 hp.....) one Tempo TBi, 95 hp would be pushing it, IMHO!

The Ford single throttle body, man o man, if you want to use it, it's a lame stand in for a Chrylser K car TBi used in "Bye Bye little Buddy",

Nov 2007 Hot Rod Click here to view the article

What happens when you take a six-cylinder Maverick, put EFI on it, and then hose it down with tons of spray? Find out by reading this article. This was a project Spectre Performance and Hot Rod Magazine decided to do with an old worn out 200ci inline six. But before they did, they called Classic Inlines for a little assistance and some advice.

Page 2 compares a K car TBi with a Carter YFA

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-071 ... -maverick/

archive/www.classicinlines.com/images/Tech_images/pages/BBLB/page1_JPG.html
----> archive/www.classicinlines.com/images/Tech_images/pages/BBLB/page2_JPG.html
archive/www.classicinlines.com/images/Tech_images/pages/BBLB/page3_JPG.html

and not nearly as good as the 2-bbl Chevy or even the akward but very capable Bosch Type 2 injector 1980-1985 5.0/3.8 2-BBL CFi.

Pick and mix works with most stuff, but NOT EFi systems as the MS2 has to work with the injector requirements. It can work with the Tempo TBi Central Fuel Injection but 1-bbl throttle body injection units are just NASTY.

Fuel Injection - Mega Squirt read any of my posts.

You'd be better off doing a "ahem" safe work practices version of stanyon's radical direct mount log mod, and then look at MS2 with a 2-bbl CFi unit from a Ford Essex V6 or 5.0 CFi or Auto 5.0 HO Fuel Injection , 1984/1985

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=73763
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=76333
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=72614

But its your ride, man! Gotta start somewhere!

Oh and Mustang6's car that had the modified 250 1-bbl in it.

ci/XFswap.html

Read up in this again, 5 pages of the best pre Aluminum Head Classic Inlines goodness, Next, Next, Next, Next, Next...archive/www.classicinlines.com/images/Tech_images/pages/IPP/pageP1a_JPG.html

First picture is MustangGeezers car returned back to 2 -bbl Holley ....after this twin 1-bbl YFA.

must1.jpg

No, the duty cycle of a TBi Tempo just won't do on a 250 with any modifications at all

Thanks xctasy
Olny reason i was thinking tempo tbi is to get a feel for the programing...... What i want is a oz 2v head with the chebby tbi. But geting one of those is like pulling hens teeth i know a ci head is beyter but people have mentioned shock tower issues in the mavericks with the 4bbl intake but theres no pics to judge how tight of a fit it is. I know the best way but im just trying to avoid duming big $$$$$ in to a part that will be swapped out. Im just trying to mod enough to help for now then focus my efforts on a better engine while being able to drive the car.

th

Hot Rods Christopher Campbell 1 November 2007":3ucwml85 said:
Here's The Original One Barrel Autolite Carb (right) And The K Car Throttle Body. The K Car Flange Differs From The Ford's, So An Adapter Was Cut From A Scrap Of Aluminum. An Easier Route Would Be To Modify An Adapter Meant For A Two Barrel Holley Carb. Classic Inlines Has Them For $45.

Everything was Autolite back then it was a 200 Carter YFA with a stunning 185 cfm. The 1984/85 K car TBi ran better, but was smaller and flowed less than the 6500 Weber 2-bbl carbs they replaced on the front drive Mopars.

Go to it, my man. Keep in your budget and Good fortune!

NB// Does10s and I warned all the 1-bbl Turbo guys in advance, and they blew up there 200's. Lincs200, FirstFox, DerangedFord90....everyone thinks they will Rebuild It and Ride Again....but if you try and feed six cows from one point in the log head manger, you'll end up with a Mr Been Nativity Scene....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8tSq-fNNyk

you'll loose it too completely when the Detonating Dalek come in the first time... "Exterminate! Exterminate!"

six shooter maverick":20xs6ekf said:
Ok so here it goes, I'm puting a 250 in my 69.5 maverick. its a 78 engine out of a granada so farits been rebuilt but its lack luster compared to my stock 73 engine. Engine specks as i know
78 block 30 over smog dish pistons
Stock cam
78 head rebuilt with 3 angle valves

parts i plan to put on
Clay 264 264 110 cam
Dual out header
Adjustable rockerarms
Duraspark ii
2 into 1 carb adaptor w/ autolight 2100 1.08

Is this a good start? Should i put a higher stall converter if so what rpm v8 spec should it be? I eventually want a head with split manifold but hear theres clearance issues in the mavericks with the ci intake. Any help is great.

I do wanna build a block with new rods and pistons eventually so that advise is great to

One thing that can stand some improvement on the late 1970's 250 engines is the pistions being so far down the hole (.150) this causes detention problems when trying to optimize the compression ratio. A solution that I want to do is to use the early 300 (Big Six) Conecting Rods (or a set of custom rods) along with a set of custom forged Pistons (Auto Tech) to put the top of the Pistons to a zero deck height with a dish to get the compression ratio right. Or you could also use a turbo to take advantage the stock low compression setup. Good luck on your 250 build. (y) :nod:

Ya i agree when i build my 73 block i definitely am using 300 rods and custom dish pistons. Im just tryin to get the wife to loosen the purse strings so i ca get tha aluminum head

You're probably going to have hood clearance issues using the 2bbl adapter as well...the 250 is a taller block than a 200 and hood clearance in the Mavericks is minimal with a 250.

some have done it with an x | y vice and a drill press

Back