Initial Timing

ledslinger29

https://www.facebook.com/john.arahill/p ... 6101465086
After 9 long months, I've got the old 170 up and running. What would you guys estimate for initial timing? I'm zero decked, compression should be 9:1, have a 248/256 can from Schneider, degreed, over sized valves, and I great big smiley face. Running the stock Autolite 1100 and Loadomatic distributer with pertronix for now. On initial crank I had the distributer 180 out, fixed that and she's running nice. Water pump leak is the only problem I've found so far, ran her at 2k for 20 minutes to break the cam in. Using Brad penn break in oil and Schneider formula 2 additive. I'm pretty tickled with myself right now. Rum drank time....
https://i.imgur.com/BxGpDPO.jpg

:beer: Congrats she looks great sitting back in the Bronco! :unsure: 10 to 12 degrees BTDC of base timing is a good starting point, some people use as much as 18 degrees base timing with their Load O Matic's. Be sure to experiment some until you find what your 170 likes, it can also depend some on your local weather condistions, altitude, and the available fuel too. Do you have a vacuum gauge and a tach to help you with your tuning? Good luck :nod:

Very nice job. The engine looks super. As Bubba stated the 12' area is correct. At some time if your engine uses the 5/16th oil pump drive swap over to a DS11 or a later 68+ distributor, but you will have to a little plugging in the 1100 carb.

wsa111":cc2i0o2k said:
Very nice job. The engine looks super. As Bubba stated the 12' area is correct. At some time if your engine uses the 5/16th oil pump drive swap over to a DS11 or a later 68+ distributor, but you will have to a little plugging in the 1100 carb.
Bill I got one of your ds 2 distributors, haven't put it in yet, at the same time I rebuilt the motor I rebuilt the carb and didn't want to throw too many variables in at once. What do you mean plugging?

Read this link I put in our tech forum.
viewtopic.php?f=99&t=76821
This converts the loadamatic to ported vacuum. It eliminates the venturi vacuum from the DS11.
I can modify yours for $50.00. Bill

I think dialin it in w/the vac. gauge will also help w/those (vac) power brakes.

Back