144 casting codes

falcon_master

Hi everyone I have another ford small six that I originally thought was a 144 but it has what appears to be a red valve cover. When I checked the VIN for the vehicle it came out of it was supposed to be a 144. I have no idea if it was ever swapped or not I don't have the car I just asked the seller for the VIN it came out of. The casting code on the block is 64DE with 6015-A below it. Thanks everyone.

You didn't state the year or model of the car the engine came out of. Yet the Chances are real good after this many years that the engine was swapped into that car if it has a 144 engine code in the Vin. You might recheck your first part of the casting / design code again I think you will find that it is likely a C4 instead of 64. That said it's likely a 1964 engine block but check for the casting date code too, these wil look like a small metal tag with a screw on each end it will have a number a letter and one or two more numbers. The Red valve cover would be a sign of a 170 or 200 if it's original to the engine, depending on if it's a Dark Red or an Orange Red. Good luck :nod:

Howdy Back Falcon Master:

The code C4DE is for a 170 block. A 144 block would likely have a C0DE casting code. 170 engine came from Deerborn with valve covers and air cleaners. Many had a red oil pan as well.

The C0DE 144 engines came in with a blue valve cover.

What year is the car it came out of?

Hope that helps.

Adios, David

Hi thanks so much for all your guys help I'm sorry I forgot the year it's another 1964 falcon 2dr I'll see if I can find the VIN again. Somewhere I'll see if I can find that tag you mentioned as well thanks

And while on this topic I took a visit to my falcon and if anyone has ever viewed my other posts I have always said it has a 144 in it but it to has the same casting code but it has a blue valve cover and air cleaner. The VIN states it's a 144 but the engine bay bolts look like there newer than then the mounts and stuff has been changed what do you guys think of this thanks

:unsure: I guess it would be important if you were trying to restore your Falcon back to its full original equipment by trying to get it as close to the way the factory built it. However the 170's or 200's are both better performing engines yet they can still look like a 144 on the outside especially if you fully detailed the engine to the correct 144 colors. i.e. The compleate assembled long block, is painted the correct semi gloss Black with a Blue painted Valve Cover and Air Cleaner. Good luck :nod:

Back