3x1 linkage issue fixed & found source for Offy parts

Varilux

One of the frustrating quirks of my 3x1 Offy set up has been the tendency of the linkage to "stick" from time to time- especially after the engine is hot, resulting in the throttle sticking open. Unsticking it required some rather violent stabs at the accelerator pedal. A few months ago, I finally identified the culprit- the metal connecting rods and the guides they slide through.

When cold they slide easily, but as they heat up they stick. I suspect this is because they sit right above my header. Also, the guides have sharp edges on the holes, which creates nicks on the rods- which causes them to stick even more. I've wanted to chamfer those guides and increase the diameter of the guide holes- but didn't want to risk messing up my linkage (since I have no spare parts, and didn't want to purchase another whole kit just to get some new guides).

Anyway, I finally found Offenhauser's website- offenhauser.co (.co not .com) and spoke to one of their staff about purchasing some spare parts. He referred me to their distributor- offyparts.com. The guy there was very helpful and sold me new connecting rods and guides (they call them "buttons") for $42 delivered. Armed with "spares," I increased the size of the hole in the guides (the diameter of the holes are 3/16" from Offy) to 7/32". Then I used a 3/4" chamfering bit (followed by a beveled grinder bit to smooth) to take off the sharp edges. Bingo! I went for a spirited drive in 100+ degree weather over the weekend and absolutely NO sticking! In fact, the accelerator functions far more smoothly.

Now I need to find a solution to overheated fuel. After one of my stops, it was a bit hard to get started, and it ran rough for a few minutes. I saw another thread that suggested aluminum clothespins on the fuel line to dissipate the heat- will try that.

Since your engine runs a bit rough on re start that's an indication of flooding. There can be a few main causes, either from fuel boiling from the heat so yes in that case the close pins or insulating the fuel line should help. The another is that it might also be caused by the float level settings so check that out too and or if you happen to have brass floats if one has a crack in it and is becoming heavy. Good luck :nod:

i like bub's ideas (as all ways).
Try alu sheets/shrouds like used on muffler hear shields, phenolic spacers (under carbs) may B too dense and too late in yer assembly process. On the other hand ford designed spacers there and it has room for something of low density (not the water choke tho! unless U got a chiller 4 em!).

My next invention: alcohol radiators circulating thru carb spacer plates! Yeah, that's it!
(ohhh, the hour doth grow late,mmm)

Back