All Small Six Ford and Mercury Correct Factory Engine Colors by the Year

This relates to all small sixes

bubba22349

Top Poster
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
Departed Member
These below post's are for those that want to detail their Ford's and Mercury's in the correct factory engine colors that Ford used by their Model years. As I have time I will keep updating and editing any omissions or mistakes in this post with more info including paint info that matches the Colors that Ford used. The detailing that Ford used on the early model engines in late 1959 through the end of the 1965 year models the detailing that Ford used on them is my personal favorite. Plus the correct color was also another way that mechanics could quickly ID these engine's Cu. In. Size's on all these early Fords. (y) Of course over all the years since these cars were first built new many people have changed the engine colors during an engine rebuild, a valve job or doing other repairs so these colors can be almost anything now. This for sure the owners preference / or choice to change them to whatever they want from how Ford originally built them. Please PM me with any pictures that you might have to submit of original cars or period correct restorations of engines, along with any addistions or corrections you might have, Enjoy :nod:

On all the 1960 to 1962 Falcon Cars, Ranchero's, Sedan Delivery's and the new models of smaller size Fairlane's in 1961 & 1962 their engine compartment's were painted the same as the exterior body color the exception was for the Black Cars these got sprayed or resprayed in Semi Gloss Black, Duplicolor's DE 1635 or Krylon 1613 is a good match for the Original. On the 1963 to 1965 Falcon Cars, Ranchero's, Sedan Delivery's and also the 1963 to 1965 Fairlane's engine compartment's the engine compartment's were all also painted in the Semi Gloss Black too, again the Duplicolor's DE1635 or Krylon 1613. The bottom of the Hood was painted in the Cars exterior body color. The engine compartments were all painted before the body started to be assembled. The Brake lines and all the bolts holding the fenders on were not painted and were left in their natural steel finish.

Here some pictures (below) and info on correct colors for a restoration of the early Ford Falcon and also the Mustang six engines. Ford painted the assembled Engine long-blocks, IE the block, head, front cover, water pump if cast iron, and oil pan, all in a Semi Gloss Black through the end of the 1965 year models, this included paint covering all the hardware (bolts etc.) Duplicolor's 1613 or Martin Seynour 7882 is an excellent color match. For the accessory parts like pulleys, fans, starters, generators (except for the generator or Alternator pulley and the fan behind it they are left natural steel), generator or alternator brackets & belt adjusters, etc. these were all painted Semi Gloss Black a very good match is Duplicolor's 1635.

The valve covers and air cleaners were painted separately from the engine, in their matching color, up to end of the 1965 year models. The Valve Covers were installed near the end of engine assembly using natural steel metal bolts with special integral lock washers. The Oil Cap Breathers were painted the same color as the valve cover.

The Ford engine colors

The 1960 to 1964 Falcon 144 engine's were the base engine for the new for 1960 Falcons
Engine/Part. Color
144 Cu.In. Valve Cover Medium Blue Duplicolor's DE1601 or Martin Seynour 7958 Is reported to be a very good match but I have not used it personally valve cover bolts are keep in their natural metal finish
144 Cu.In. Air Cleaner Medium Blue Duplicolor's DE1601 or Martin Seynour 7958
144 Cu.In. Block, Head, Oil Pan, Semi Gloss Black Duplicolor's DE1613 or Martin Seynour 7882 is a good match

This is a 170ci six cylinder it was an optional engine in the Falcons and Fairlane's it was the standard base engine used in the 1962 Fairlane, as well as the 1964 1/2 Mustang's in their first 5 months of production. Some Info I have says it has a red valve cover and air cleaner but I remember them being more of an Orange Red as were the early 170 Falcon motors see below picture. That said I don't think this is the correct color on the 170 parts. The Valve cover bolts are a natural metal.

1961 to 1965 Falcon, Fairlane, and Mustang 170 six Engine Color Reference
Engine/Part Color
170ci valve cover Orange Red Duplicolor's DE1605 or Martin Seynor 7992 the valve cover bolts are a natural metal
170ci air cleaner Orange Red Duplicolor's DE1605 or Martin Seynour 7992
170ci block, head, oil pan Semi Gloss Black Duplicolor's DE1613 or Martin Seynour 7882 is good match

Ford 170 Six engine

Here pictured is a 200 six they were introduced as the base engine in the Ford Fairlane's in the last 1/2 of 1963. They were also an optional engine in the 1964 & 1965 Falcons and also became the standard base engine for the 1965 Mustang. Looks much the same as the 170 it replaced, with the exception of what looks like a the deeper red valve cover and air cleaner colors. Valve cover bolts are natural metal.

1963 1/2 to 1965 200 Falcon, Fairlane, and Mustang 200 six Engine Color Reference
Engine/Part Color
200ci valve cover Red Duplicolor's DE1605 or Martin Seynour 7992
200ci air cleaner Red Duplicolor's DE1605 or Martin Seynour 7992
200ci block, head, oil pan Semi Gloss Black Duplicolor's DE1613 or Martin Seynour 7882 is a good match

1965 Ford 200 Six engine

For the 1966 year models and later Ford engines they were no longer color keyed to specific engine models, all Ford engines were now painted a Ford Corporate Dark Blue. This was the new color for all Ford engines for 1966 and later. As before the entire Engine long block was painted after it's assembly and the valve covers were painted separate and than installed on the engine with the same natural metal bolts with the special integral lock washers as before. Some claim the 1966 and 1967 engines were the same color as the 1968 up Corperate Ford a Dark Blue, I can't say I agree with this as I remember them being a lighter Blue, then those of the later 1960's. To add further confusion many auto parts companies market 3 different Ford Blues.

In my opinion going from my memories for the years 1966 and 1967 all Ford and Mercury engines were painted a different Lighter Blue but this might be because of the different engine assembly plants. Growing up I mostly seen the California spec market cars! Duplicolor's DE 1621 or Plastickote # 205 Old Ford Blue is a close match to what I remember.

In 1968 to 1972 170 Six's were still being used they were the base engines in the Falcons, Comet's, and the new 1970 Maverick's. They are all painted the same as the 200's and 250's see below for example.

This is the 1966 200 engine (in the below picture) the air cleaner is made a little different from the 64 1/2 and 65 engines. All Ford engines were now painted in the Ford Blue starting in 1966, Valve cover bolts are the natural metal. The Sports Sprint models have a chrome air-cleaner housing, as did the 1966 Sprint 200, made available during Spring 1966.

1968 up Falcon, Fairlane, Maverick, Comets, and 1968 to 1973 Mustang 200 six Engine Color Reference
Engine/Part Color
200ci valve cover Dark Ford Corporate Blue Duplicolor's DE 1606 Dark Ford Blue or Plastickote # 224
200ci air cleaner Dark Ford Corporate Blue Duplicolor's DE 1606
200ci block, head, oil pan Dark Ford Corporate Blue Duplicolor's DE 1606

1966 Ford 200 Six

The 1969 up Falcon, Fairlane, Maverick, Comet, Granada, Monarch, 1969 to 1973 Mustang 250 six Engine was also painted the same Dark Ford Corporate Blue.

For the 1968 up color of Ford Corporate (Dark) Blue, Duplicolor's 1606 matches this. Some other brands that also match the Ford Blue are Krylon's Ford Dark Blue and Plasticoat Royal Blue 1134. For the accessory parts like pulleys, fans, starters, alternator brackets & belt adjusters, etc. these were all painted Semi Gloss Black a good match is Duplicolor's 1635. Good luck :nod:

Last edited:
This post will cover the Factory Engine Colors for those Restoring a 1960 Comet and the 1961 to 65 Mercury Comets and Metor's Inline Sixes. After 1965 the Mercury engines were painted Blue same as the Ford engines were, in 1966 and 1967 was might of been the Old Ford Blue. In 1968 up to 1977 at end of the Comet production it was the Dark Ford Corporate Blue same as all the Ford engines where (see above post).

The early Mercury engine detailing was done exactly like the Ford six'es with a few exceptions. All the 144, 170, and 200 engines built for the model years 1960 to 1965 where as follows. The assembled long blocks were painted in Semi Gloss Black this includes the block, head, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and the engines bolts. Duplicolor's DE1613 or Martin Seynour 7882 is a very good match. For the accessory parts like pulleys, fans, starters, alternator brackets & belt adjusters, etc. these were all painted as the Fords engines in Semi Gloss Black again a good match is Duplicolor's DE1635 or Krylon 1613. The generator or alternators pulley and fan were left in natural steel some people have painted them with a clear to keep them looking good. Comet Engine compartments were also painted like the Falcons from 1960 to 1962 in the exterior body color except for the Black cars that got resprayed in Semi Gloss Black. Then in 1963 to 1965 the cars engine compartments were all painted Semi Gloss Black too.

The Valve Cover and Air Cleaner were painted separately in these Mercury speffic colors. Good example pictures of the early Mercury engines are hard to find so if you happen to have a picture or more of an original or nicely detailed Mercury Six that you would like to share in this post then let me know. Enjoy :nod:

1960 to 63 144 Sixes
the valve cover and air cleaner were painted Yellow, this maybe the DuPont Dulux #24934
Site member "adamscm" had this picture of correct 144 Mercury engine color and detailing. Here is a link to adamscm 144 engine rebuild with its great detailing work in the 11th post from the top in the below link to posts covering his engine rebuild.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76602&p=589788&hilit=Mercury+engine+color#p589788

1961 to 1965 170 Sixes the valve cover and air cleaner were painted in an Argent (Silver), about the best match are Motorcraft Argent Silver PM19K207-AA available at your local Ford dealer. TECnique Argent Silver available at NAPA auto parts stores is also quite good. East woods Alumablast, VHT Argent Wheel paint I haven't tried these last yet to know how close they match to Fords original Argent colors used in the 1960's.

1964 to 1965 200 Sixes the valve cover and air cleaner that were painted Ivory (Creme White). This DuPont Dulux #1222 is suppose to be a good match.

On all these 1960 to 1965 engines the valve cover Breather Cap was also painted the same color as the Valve Cover. Also all the Valve Cover Bolts were not painted, they were are left as Natural steel. Good luck :nod:

This info is for the later model Mustangs (Fox Chassis), Mercury Capri, Granda & Monarch six'es

On the 200 (3.3L) and 250's (4.1L) engines the colors in later 1968 through to end of 1981 all Ford and Mercury engines were painted the Ford Corporate (Dark) Blue, Duplicolor's 1606 matches this. Some other brands that also match this Ford Blue are Krylon's Ford Dark Blue and Plasticoat Royal Blue 1134. For the accessory parts like pulleys, fans, starters, alternator brackets & belt adjusters, etc. these were all painted Semi Gloss Black a good match is Duplicolor's 1635. The engines were painted assembled except for the valve cover, the bolts weren't painted and left a natural steel finish as they painted valve covers before assembly.

In 1982 Ford started painting their engines a Battle Ship Gray color Duplicolor's New Ford Gray DE 1611, VHT SP131, or Plastickote #216 is a good match. As a side note Ford stopped painting their engine blocks and heads leaving them natural cast iron sometime around 1984 or by the mid 1980's. Good luck :nod:

Be ware that a majority of engines were painted an alternative red color for post 1977 engines. Its very common to find rattle can red low and high mount engines for sale from Monarchs, Fairmonts or Grandadas that are red

4qikq0.jpg

357my4n.jpg

care of oldbleu from http://www.falconearlybirds.com/smf1/in ... pic=1076.0

chassis fabricatorgumby23's » Sat Jun 17, 2017

Beaus67's

or black

2564cvo.jpg

This is absolutely more common than blue or gray for some reason. I guess someone has been doing a Huckle Berry Fin mandatory fence paint resto on every post 1980 late model large log headed engine.... :p

bubba22349":1luyqifr said:
This info is for the later model Mustangs (Fox Chassis), Mercury Capri, Granda & Monarch six'es

On the 200 (3.3L) and 250's (4.1L) engines the colors in later 1968 through to end of 1981 all Ford and Mercury engines were painted the Ford Corporate (Dark) Blue, Duplicolor's 1606 matches this. Some other brands that also match this Ford Blue are Krylon's Ford Dark Blue and Plasticoat Royal Blue 1134. For the accessory parts like pulleys, fans, starters, alternator brackets & belt adjusters, etc. these were all painted Semi Gloss Black a good match is Duplicolor's 1635. The engines were painted assembled except for the valve cover, the bolts weren't painted and left a natural steel finish as they painted valve covers before assembly.

In 1982 Ford started painting their engines a Battle Ship Gray color Duplicolor's New Ford Gray DE 1611, VHT SP131, or Plastickote #216 is a good match. Good luck :nod:

1982 200 engine Lincs200 used, 124000 mile Low Mount stocker.

Gray lid, unpainted block.

and another's, smos65

1981 Auto High mount stocker's

1980 high mount 4 speed manual, stock

I have several i6s with the light blue.
I took the Duplicolor, prt #s above to the paint store and found the correct color - Ford Corporate Drk Blue (1606). Not what I seek.

Can anyone help me match this lighter blue? (It may B seen in the 2 final pic above this post)
(the machine shop did the lghter blue after machining, I used a Toyota lght blue on the VC attempting to match - it's close but way off how I want to present the results).

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/sho ... rrect-Blue
C9WY":197p9fd2 said:
Plastikote 224 is the closest to the original (as discerned by me comparing to original air cleaner color on a 69). Duplicolor's version was not as close.

If DuPont or Ditzler, a really tight mix is

Ditzler DAR 13358 (ac enamel)
Ditzler harderenr DXR 80
Ditzler Fat DX 265 (20-25%)

CIRCA 1966 FORD PRINT AD GARAGE ART "WHY ARE WE PAINTING ALL OUR ENGINES BLUE?"...thats the 1967 model year, but engines came from three sources in North America.

Windsor and Cleveland and Lima plants used a different shade initially, so a Windsor V8's would be a different shade to the later Cleveland built in line sixes, or the Lima built big blocks. Some were Mexican too.

Dated December 1966, 289 Ford Falcon V8 by Royce Peterson

bubba22349":197p9fd2 said:
In my opion for the years 1966 and 1967 all Ford and Mercury engines were painted a different Lighter Blue! Duplicolor's DE 1621 or Pladtickote # 205 Old Ford Blue is a close match to what I remember.

16 years is traditional copywrite

http://www.early-mustang.com/index.php/ ... ines-paint

Copyright Charles Turner":197p9fd2 said:
First - When applying these paints, I personally don't ever use any sort of primer - strip and clean the engine or parts well first, and apply the paint directly and liberally. Use the DXR-80 hardener, too.

These colors are not from any official source - they will come up with all sorts of names that have nothing to do Knowledgebase of early Mustangswith the subject (Ford Engines). They are based on actual, original painted parts that I have had matched. The suppliers of these parts varied, as did batches of paint, so these colors are only based on a small sample - yours may have been different. If a good sample of your original paint exists, I encourage you to have it matched (and send me the codes...). But if you have no other basis, the following PPG paint codes will produce tints that judges can't argue with.

1964/65 170 & 200 Valve cover & air-cleaner red/orange: DAR 72155, matched from a December '64 build-date San Jose Mustang Valve cover.

1964 260 valve cover & air cleaner bright blue: (can't find the code right now but it is, very coincidentally...) 1970 Mustang Grabber Blue, matched from a July '64 San Jose 260 valve cover.

1966 engine blue - the darkest shade I've seen used, seems to be similar to what they used on all 66 engines, and on the 6-cylinders and 289s in 67 (basically, before the "Power by Ford" embossing was added to valve covers.): DAR 13898, matched from a '66 Mustang air-cleaner-base of unknown build date/plant.

Later engine blue - a lighter shade like was used on '67 big blocks I've seen, and on everything with the "Power by Ford" embossed valve covers at least through '70: DAR 18102, matched from an early '70 San Jose 302 2V air-cleaner-base.

The lightest engine blue I've had matched: DAR 16557, came from the air-cleaner-base from a '67 390 "GT" 4v with the chrome top - the block was very close to the 18102 above, but the air cleaner base was the lighter DAR 16557. Even this is still darker than good ole' Krylon "Ford Blue", which is the color of Ford agricultural equipment.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how will you afford to do it again?"Copyright Charles Turner

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... he-factory
-MCA Guidelines

79-82 5.0L Ford Corporate Blue

(I think the 82 H.O. was natural with gray)

82-92 natural with gray oil pan. Valve Covers natural aluminum on 82-88 5.0L

Ford began switching to dark blue in 1966. Prior to that, engines were either light blue
or black, with either light blue, red, or gold tins depending on the engine. The dark blue
was used up until the change to corporate grey in 1982.

For instance

The 260 had light blue valve covers and air cleaner. Block, heads, and intake castings
were black, as was the oil pan.

This should be made a sticky in the engine tech area of the forum. Some great information here.
I went back to the stock Ford valve cover because of superior oil control.
The cast valve covers are just pretty junk.
I am looking into the Cleveland engine stamped steel oil deflectors for proper oil to the rocker arms if using oil through pushrods using the Yella-Terra full roller rockers.
Great job guys.

well, never thought I'd be interested in looks, engine color but...
it's painted now, I like it, i wanna match it w/o big expense or mixing etc.
Looks like it's:
Duplic - 1621
Plastic - 205 (old ford blue)
…………..224 (most likely)
or
…………..1134 (royal blue)

Seem right?
Thanks~

Back