My Budget 250 build

Summit shows this oil pump pickup tube as fitting all the small 6 engines 144-250, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-82s/overview/

Can anyone confirm they are the same, not because I want one but I need to build a rear sump oil pan and if I could use the 200 rear sump pickup it would save me from trying to build one (that is if I can find one)

If I could use the pickup I might consider finding a 200 rear sump pan and merge it with my 250 pan to make a rear sump 250 pan, I know I would have to gain the extra width someplace, any way I do it it is going to be a "Frankenpan" anyhow.

See Ya,
Mike

that's a Q many bronk "conversion" (motor swap) builders develop.

I may graft a 170 pan 'bottom' onto 250 'ring'. Boy, is the 170 pan a heavier stock than my current 250's!
I will turn a doner 250 upside down to do the welding on so as to not warp the end product w/heat.

I have been looking for the 200/3.3 '80 - '83 rear sump p/u tube'n screen (no luck so far). I've lost the part #s for these from some 1 who posted here. Not having much luck (using '81 Mavrick for the junk yrd and auto prtshouses search). Let me know if U get part #s for the 200 rear sump. I think it would fit my oil pump! May B just hafta bend it 2 B 1/8 inch offa da "floor".

A pan part number would save making the pan but it would B frm a 200. No rear sump 250/4.1 to my knowledge.

Y do YOU wanna rear sump?

chad":3pn7pohz said:
No rear sump 250/4.1 to my knowledge.

Y do YOU wanna rear sump?

Nope no rear sump 250 :cry:

I am doing a MustangII front in my Comet so I need a rear sump pan.

This is the first time I have seen the pickup listed as the same part, doesn't mean it is that is why I was looking for confirmation :p I may cross check some other parts places and see what they list.

See Ya,
Mike

Rock Auto shows them as two different Melling part numbers 65BS for the 200 and 82S for the 250.

Really I am kinda dumb I have a 200 and a 250 out in the shed, I can just compare them tomorrow :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

that helps, thanks.
Still don't C how an oem/after mrkt house has a part# for non-exsistant entity
(no rear sump 250). I wuz gunna C if the rear sump 200 ('80-'83) could work (pan, no, but p/u & screen)...
Will eventually ck my 170 rear sump (p/u & screen) as I have the motor out now.
Still plannin on the 170 pan braze 2 the 250.

I did check this and there is no way they are the same, the 250 pump pickup comes out the side the 200 out the bottom, the 250 is a larger pump swell and the pickup tube is larger, again I am sure everyone knows this already :roll:

I think most likely a SBF rear sump pickup tube would be a better candidate for modification but I don't have one to confirm this.

See Ya,
Mike

Thanks Mike!

"...everyone knows this ..."; "...the pickup tube is larger (diameter?)..."
count me outside the box again...

"...likely a SBF rear sump pickup tube would be a better candidate for modification but I don't have one to confirm this...."
me either. May B this wk I'll look closer at the 170's p/u tube'n screen. As posted earlier - the 170 pan (1968) is about 3X the weight of the 250 (it's a '69 - I think it's all in the metal's gauge).

My thoughts are to do the same as you and attach the lower section of a rear sump pan to the 250 pan, I will have to find said rear sump pan first and hope I don't mess either up in the conversion because I am not real sure where one would get another 250 pan in my neck of the woods (not entirely true, I do know where another 250 is currently in the bone yard)

See Ya,
Mike

yards R great, I C on fleebay, @ big bx stores & other on-line spots for pans.

I don't know but it seems 1 could pull the pump & attach a 'wrong sz'
tube/screen to it, then replace. Seeing that as the more interesting
of the 2 fab/mod operations. Getting it the right hight offa the pan
floor, to the best spot, level, etc would B my challenge.

Have you considered getting the wrecking yard 250 you are aware of? I have a spare 250 just in case.

bmbm40":12canwhs said:
Have you considered getting the wrecking yard 250 you are aware of?

Maybe parts only it is in a full sized Ford, no hood and no carb, so probably full of water and froze up.

See Ya,
Mike

Excellent topic and thread! I am blown away by the amount of willing “positive” participants here! My hand book is on the way and I have a D2DE AA 250 block at the machine shop and awaiting a plan. I will be watching closely here! :thanks:

Thanks I just wish I could move things along a little faster, but like I said it is a long term project I wish was done already :p Having to deal with non-car related stuff really slows a fellow down, plus dealing with rare parts and not wanting to throw a ton of cash at it.

See Ya,
Mike

I know how you feel..My car has been on stands longer than some of our members have been alive...I am about to say screw it,throw it together, roll it with a gallon of black hammer-tone ( to hide flaws) and go racing. :eek:

xctasy":29u4tu4l said:
lavron":29u4tu4l said:
I got 6 of these today, Ford 2.5L HSC/OHV Connecting Rods, now I have to figure out how to make 2 of them say 5 & 6 :p :roll:

21ae165c848aacf857ca192f4dc26601.jpg

See Ya,
Mike

The tough as goats knees E63E-B1A.

Nice pick up, solves all the problems. (y) :nod: :wow:

Where did you get the rods from and what part number? thanks Brian

Searching for Silvolite 3332H .030 pistons and I can only come up with Flat Top. Any thoughts on where I could look to order what you received only .030?

lavron":2behfbyd said:
Thanks I just wish I could move things along a little faster, but like I said it is a long term project I wish was done already :p Having to deal with non-car related stuff really slows a fellow down, plus dealing with rare parts and not wanting to throw a ton of cash at it.

See Ya,
Mike

Any updates over the last 2 months? I have a 250 sitting in the garage waiting for me to give it some love...

Following this thread. I have a 250 out of a '74 Maverick. I'm still on the fence on putting it in my '62 Falcon or find/trade for a 200. I have the 144 that came with the car. To my amazement it has a D7BE head. I plan to swap that to the 250 which currently has a C8DE. Putting suspension in car now. As soon as it is a roller again I will work on the driveline. Decisions, decisions.

Attachments

• 250 I6.jpg
    250 I6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 274
Sorry again I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging just haven't been able to work on it, the project is not dead just so slow it appears that way.

Try to answer some questions even though I am sure you have found answers already
65-coupe":33agfv3e said:
Where did you get the rods from and what part number? thanks Brian
They are here, Clegg Engine http://www.cleggengine.com/ford-86-91-153ci-2-5l-connecting-rod.html

DreiPower61":33agfv3e said:
Searching for Silvolite 3332H .030 pistons and I can only come up with Flat Top. Any thoughts on where I could look to order what you received only .030?
This is what I got but in .030 over https://www.carid.com/silv-o-lite/h...ion-height-0-030-oversizes-mpn-3332h-030.html Ignore the picture on the site, you can look up the actual piston on Silv-O-Lite's website, you also have to choose the right Australian Ford car where they ask for make, model, etc, I think you can look back in this thread and see what I used.

Be prepared to wait a very long time for stuff like the pistons, it took me like 6 months to get mine but maybe they made a few more when they made mine :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

Just an update, I have been working the last 3 months replacing the suspension in my Comet, almost done, then I will hopefully get going on the motor.

See Ya,
Mike

Back