My Budget 250 build

lavron":10qfqmka said:
I was looking a little more at the Howard's cam on Summit and see this is the recommended springs that Howard's has on their website;

Howards Valve Springs

Not sure if these would be of consideration as well?

See Ya,
Mike
Those are Dual Springs and will not fit your head if the valve spring locator at the base of the valve guide boss has not been machined away.
The 263 spring rate is not enough.
The closed pressure at 1.700" is only 85 lbs.

I wasn't sure if you had new "never been used" lifters. I understood the part about needing a solid lifter for cam timing measurements.
What lifters do you have?

pmuller9":3l938tiw said:
What lifters do you have?

They are Melling flat tappet hydraulic for a '65 Galaxie 390 motor (just picked a random FE car, nothing special about '65 Galaxie)

pmuller9":3l938tiw said:
Those are Dual Springs and will not fit your head if the valve spring locator at the base of the valve guide boss has not been machined away.
The 263 spring rate is not enough.
The closed pressure at 1.700" is only 85 lbs.

I figured as much, they really don't make it easy to run down the specs on those springs anyway :p

I will get a valve pulled today and everything measured.

See Ya,
Mike

Ok pictures of measurements of the valve spring clearances.
Spring height from seat to retainer - 1.658"
d1da136ac85e6a4b3d3243d2057a8525.jpg

Spring seat diameter - 1.357"
9f236b0baa17b46554ae5980de104fbf.jpg

Inside sping seat - 0.983"
821a36ce79908aeb4fcacd917e9cc181.jpg

Viton Seal - 0.673" (probably not important)
2d59392d4e8b5cb795f7f633f9874454.jpg

And some more that I just threw in but not needed most likely, measures on current springs and retainers.
0cc6a708c9016f7ae89d5d9cd20365a7.jpg

Hopefully that is enough if not I can measure more.

Thanks for the help.

See Ya,
Mike

Great set of pictures. Lots if information. Thanks
It looks like a 1.657" installed height at least for that one.
Based on that one a Crane 96803 spring would be 121 lbs closed and 276 open @.470"

The ID of the Crane spring is 1.035" versus .989" for the present spring.
The retainer is not a snug fit in the valve spring with .045" clearance.
That's generally not a problem and a lot of valve spring to retainers are run that way.
If you are OCD like me and you want a snug fit the retainer would have to be changed.

The valve stem diameter should be .310"?

That would be your best choice. They can be purchased in a set of 12, thats a $ saving rather than having to get a set of 16.
The 121# seat pressure will drop 10% after use for several thousand miles.
Go for it.

Thanks guys, I guess I will order the Crane springs.

Going to just run the retainers I have since they are brand new and not overly cheap. I don't mind changing the springs the current ones were less than $30 for the set.

With the cam being 4 degrees advanced, do you just run the timing marks aligned? I am going to degree the cam but changing that would require I guess as we discussed, the cutting new keyways, but would offset key possibly work as well if it is close?

You guys have been a super big help on this, much appreciated.

I ran my accelerator cable from the pedal to approx. where it will need to mount today, that was the last thing I needed to do before pulling the intake adapter pattern, splitting it in two and mounting it on a board to be cast, I am going to add a cast on mounting pad beside the rear carb for the cable bracket to attach to.

Guess I will head over to Summit and give them some more of my money :roll: :LOL:

See Ya,
Mike

lavron":1mnsrels said:
With the cam being 4 degrees advanced, do you just run the timing marks aligned? I am going to degree the cam but changing that would require I guess as we discussed, the cutting new keyways, but would offset key possibly work as well if it is close?
You will have to install the timing marks aligned.
Each tooth is 17 degrees.
Does the cam gear use a key or a dowel pin?

If it is a single long key on the crankshaft snout that goes under the harmonic balancer and the crankshaft timing gear and the cam gear uses a pin then there isn't any part that can be offset to change cam timing.

This came today.
a898bbbf0ab18e70518985dbfb3cb096.jpg

And the cam card for anyone interested.
2fd798ffa70caef37664daf3812d1322.jpg

Ordered the springs last night from Summit, and got the notification that the early timing set and head studs are on the way from Clay Smiths.

Soon I can pull the motor and get the cam installed.

See Ya,
Mike

things shape up!
got a cam card...
Now, do U have a printer to print out the Degree Wheel?

chad":2scb62bq said:
Now, do U have a printer to print out the Degree Wheel?

Yes, I already printed the 8" one, I ordered a dial indicator and degree wheel from Summit when I ordered the valve springs to put me in the free shipping range, figured I could tape the printed wheel on the front of the one that is coming if I needed too.

See Ya,
Mike

OK, wuz gunna lenda hand, didn't know how "low budget"...
somea us are w a y low...(like me).
;)

chad":38q0q2iu said:
OK, wuz gunna lenda hand, didn't know how "low budget"...
somea us are w a y low...(like me).
;)
By adding the degree wheel to the order to get free shipping offsets the cost of the low cost degree wheel.
When he is done with the wheel it can be sold very very low cost to the next person that needs one.
The cost of the wheel becomes free and you get to help out another person.

like dat! like dat Mrpmuller !

pmuller9":hyh919sy said:
By adding the degree wheel to the order to get free shipping offsets the cost of the low cost degree wheel.
When he is done with the wheel it can be sold very very low cost to the next person that needs one.
The cost of the wheel becomes free and you get to help out another person.

Yes basically I can pay shipping or get a degree wheel instead of paying shipping, I chose the degree wheel :p (not free but much cheaper) And I may offer it up when I am done at a greatly reduced price to help someone else out.

See Ya,
Mike

I got the Crane Cam valve springs, the degree wheel, and the dial indicator, just waiting on the timing gears and chain and I will be ready to install.

See Ya,
Mike

Got the timing set today ('69-'72 early set), I think the last thing I needed to install the cam, came in a pretty cool box.

4f98f220447e586ace1260c008ec47dc.jpg

Maybe sometime this week I can pull the motor back out and install the cam, any pointers I should be aware of?

See Ya,
Mike

Back