Leaky water pump

ledslinger29

What are you guys using to seal up your water pump? I just got moly motor running two weeks ago and I'm losing coolant all around it

I use the Permatex non hardening or some Silicone on both sides of the gasket. Good luck :nod:

Hi, X2. Make sure the pump and block is spotless clean and glue the gasket to the water pump. Let it rest a few minutes and then silicone up the back and pop it on. A small bead is enough. I wouldn't put water back in for a couple of hours to let the whole thing set up. Good luck

A similar thing that I overlooked on my build that caused me much grief was my failure to put sealant on the balancer bolt washer or put some in the keyway. At high revs like on the highway it would seep down the keyway work its way past the washer and/or bolt head and sling a fine line of oil droplets off the face of the balancer 360 degrees! And having an a/t it was fun getting that bolt back out and properly retorqued when I went to fix it. What a pain :banghead: . It's fine now. I'm glad it was clear it was coming off of the face of the balancer or I probably would have assumed it was the lip seal. No oil on the back though, only the face and the 360 deg patten was off the face.

Hi,that could happen if the thermostat slips lower, out of the groove. That might not be your problem, I'm just saying. Hopefully the block is nice and smooth. If the thermostat housing is not true, or just for the heck of it, I would change it. We sometimes used to sand a housing with emery paper on a sheet of glass to true them. Usually the silicone and gasket is enough. I silicone the new gasket to the housing to hold the thermostat firmly in place. and let it set before bolting the thermostat housing to the block, with more silicone between the gasket and the block. Good luck

I just replaced my thermostat last weekend b/c I changed my fan switch to a lower range and I did similar, but I used high tack to hold the thermostat and gasket to the housing and a thin coat of sealant to the other side and the bolt threads. So far so good <fingers crossed> That's a good tip on using sand paper on glass or granite, I did that today with some 600 grit wet to clean up the mating faces of carbon and stainless on a pss dripless shaft seal.

Sometimes it's like the wild world of sports, the thrill of victory and...

...don't say it, don't say it. Ur puttin da hex on mine.
:unsure:
Whsa lill water anyway?
:nono:
I know, a pain in the a$$!!!
:(

Just a follow up...used permatex copper on both sides of the gasket, screwed it in finger tight waited an hour, then torqued down the rest of the way. Used high temp thread sealant on the bolts, and waited over night. No more thermostat housing leak, but still a little around the water pump. That's next

Just a follow up...used permatex copper on both sides of the gasket, screwed it in finger tight waited an hour, then torqued down the rest of the way. Used high temp thread sealant on the bolts, and waited over night. No more thermostat housing leak, but still a little around the water pump. That's next

Back