2-groove pulley for 250?

schaferstephen

Y'all,

I can't seem to find my old water pump pulley, and searching for one so far has been fruitless... Are y'all aware of any other SBF pulleys that will fit on a 250? I do need the 2 groove for AC/Alternator...

Thanks!!

Matt at vintageinlines? - the goto guy. he seems to have what we need otherwise!

There isn't one afaik, there never was. Do you need it to run a larger alternator?

is that the 1 X showed that somebody's brother made up?
(a photo AND 'schematic'?)
Rickwrench?

Does it fit a 250 water pump and align with the crank pulley?

Op, if you need it for the alternator b/c you want to run a 3G 130 Amp or whatever, my advice would be to put a pulley on a 90 amp 3G that is a 2:1 ratio. This will produce ample charging @ idle, way more than a GM 1 wire, or a 1 or 2G. But being limited to 90 amps will keep it from squealing. Otherwise you can underdrive a 130 amp unit but it will still squeal on one belt when it needs juice if you run it down when off. But it will be under driven and produce less charging at idle than the 90 amp w/ a 2:1 pulley ratio. Like a 1.6:1 ratio, it will start producing power at around 800-1000 RPM. Whereas the 90 amp unit at 600 RPM w/ a 2:1 ratio will be producing 40 or 50 amps. And if the battery wants a lot it's limited to 90 amps of draw on the pulley when it will produce it at 900-1100 rpm

I was in your position and could not find one either. I ended up using a pulley from the late 60's V8. You have to ream out the center hole of the pulley so it fits over the larger water pump center dowel and make a spacer (I think it's about 3/16") that goes between the pulley and the water pump flange but all the sheaves line up well and everything should work properly as best as I can tell (have not gotten it in the car or running yet).

The bolt holes on the V8 pulley are closer to the center than those on the 250 pulley but my water pump flange was tapped with 2 sets of holes so it was not a problem. There's a little write-up with a few photos at http://mit.midco.net/jharcinske/Belts.html If you want more information I'll do the best I can to answer any questions

Back