1970 Maverick 170 Valve Keeper Sleeve

Wascator

Hi, anyone know the part numbrr of the keeper sleeve? I lost one and I hope it's common to several engine models so I can find one.
I also need a good connecting rod.

Hi! Sorry I was not clear: I have keepers. The sleeve is the part that holds the keepers. It sits on the spring retainer, then the keepers slip in to either side of the valve stem, etc.
Wascator

Search over I hope: found a '72 Comet in the local U-pull yard. Opened the hood: no head. Walked away. Thought about it a minute and went back, looked in the trunk: TWO complete heads, rocker shafts, bell housing, misc. parts. Boom$ Dropped $40 and left with one head and a nice oil pan.
Still need a con rod. Engine in this car was a 200 so I don't know if the rods are the same as the 170. Anyone?

4 help in picking the best of the 2 heads - give us the 2 casting #s.
What's the final application of the vehicle?

For the prt listed in above subject line - I probably use a different term so can't ID what U mean. Do U have a different term 4 it?
(valve seal, valve spring retainer, bronze valve stem liner, etc)

I only bought this head to get the part I want, as I did not have sufficient tools with me. It is a head from a 200 cu in I think, has the log intake. looks like a good head, though.
The head on my engine is fresh from the machine shop.
Ford calls this part a retainer sleeve. The large cup sits on top of the valve stem; this smaller cup sits inside the larger cup, over the valve stem, then the two keepers slip in the small cup, around the stem, to hold it in place. There is an exploded view of the valve-spring assembly in the small block six tech info that shows it.

Wascator":3ippw47k said:
Search over I hope: found a '72 Comet in the local U-pull yard. Opened the hood: no head. Walked away. Thought about it a minute and went back, looked in the trunk: TWO complete heads, rocker shafts, bell housing, misc. parts. Boom$ Dropped $40 and left with one head and a nice oil pan.
Still need a con rod. Engine in this car was a 200 so I don't know if the rods are the same as the 170. Anyone?

Yes a 200 connecting rod is the same lenght as a 170 Rod, but the pistions are not the same. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":5d9daxbn said:
Yes a 200 connecting rod is the same lenght as a 170 Rod, but the pistions are not the same. Good luck :nod:
So I could bore out my 170 to make a 200 bubba?

Yeah at .180 over bore, I think you would be real close to hitting water plus you need one of the early 200 crankshafts (pre 7 bolt mains) that seem to be a bit hard to find. Swapping in the early 200 crank would be a good way to go though and would give you a 181 cu. in. :nod:

guy at the shop did that w/his che**y 350. A boar & 400 crank turned it into a 400...
Just a lill relief wrk w/a grinder to get the crank counter weights to clear, closed it up & back into the '72 K20 tow truck.
Yesterday we used it to winch in some fire wood! Hot day! hot work! hot rig!

Back