Adjustable rocker screw

lavron

Does the small six adjustable rocker screw exchange with other engines? I have an adjustable rocker set-up and I am missing one adjuster.

See Ya,
Mike

These guys are sure to have them and probably anything else for your reciprocating parts. They also sell stock adjustable and 1.6 ratio rocker setups for small block six.

http://www.rockerarms.com/

They supplied my 250 with custom length pushrods and other parts.

haev fun

also on the rocker arm adjusters there are no lock nuts, it seems like on my 170 there are but I haven't seen it for almost 30 years and can't remember. I also seem to recall adjusting them with an allen wrench, but then again my memory may be fuzzy :roll:

See Ya,
Mike.

It's an interference fit, flat kind of thread, no nut is needed unless they are wore out. If you can't find one, I have some extra nos rockers.

Econoline":1z1cbxwy said:
It's an interference fit, flat kind of thread, no nut is needed unless they are wore out. If you can't find one, I have some extra nos rockers.

Thanks Seth, I will check in town this week and see what I can get, if I can't find any I may take you up on that offer.

See Ya,
Mike

Don't U have em on yer 170 ?

The adjustment screw is the same screw that were on the big six, Y-block and FE engine, part #B6A 6549-C. They come in .0023" over-size also if your rocker's thread is worn, part #C2AZ 6549-A. I got a couple or three from my local machine shop last year.

chad":1d4nej89 said:
Don't U have em on yer 170 ?

Yes I do but was wanting to leave that motor intact.

1bad6t":1d4nej89 said:
The adjustment screw is the same screw that were on the big six, Y-block and FE engine, part #B6A 6549-C. They come in .0023" over-size also if your rocker's thread is worn, part #C2AZ 6549-A. I got a couple or three from my local machine shop last year.

Thanks that was what I was curious about, I ended up picking up a whole rocker assembly off a 60-61 Falcon at the scrap yard this week.

See Ya,
Mike

"...picking up a whole rocker assembly off a 60-61 Falcon ..."

I think the 1st 200 was '65
170 in '61.

Is the adjustable R/A from a 170?

If everything works out as planned you won't be decking the block much at all. May I suggest you save yourself some trouble and use a stock non adjustable set?

I have 3 sets, the middle one is the one I just got, the front stand is different than the the other 2, bottom non-adjustable is off the '72 200, top one is off an unknown motor and is the one I am using.

ebd7f2120d7cce480068ca97bb71a6cf.jpg

Econoline":35uzmnv3 said:
If everything works out as planned you won't be decking the block much at all. May I suggest you save yourself some trouble and use a stock non adjustable set?

I just like having the ability to adjust I guess and is what the Handbook recommends.

See Ya,
Mike

:unsure: it looks like both your rocker sets use the interference type adjuster bolts i.e. No locking nut is used or needed on them. Good luck :nod:

I get it. You probably know you'll have to have custom pushrods made. The ones Mike sold are to long unless Vintage Inlines have fixed that.

Use the rocker arm set with the different front stand.
That stand lets oil drain from the head to the area between the 2nd & 3rd lifters where there is an oiling hole right above the distributor gear & the camshaft. This supplies extra oiling to the dist. gear & cam gear which is helpful in preventing gear wear.

wsa111":14tn9to4 said:
Use the rocker arm set with the different front stand.

Thanks I was not sure which was the best, I may take the rocker arms from the top one and use on there because they are as worn as the middle one, I think the motor was definitely a solid lifter engine and needed the valves set because it looks like the rockers were hammering against the valve stems.

44c33548dff5ad93d8bcfd55a4e6f1a5.jpg

The other set of rockers are not worn on the faces hardly at all.

I will just switch the rockers and still have two sets, one just not as good :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

The rockers arm faces can be resurfaced and new shaft bushings installed as well as new rocker shafts too. Good luck :nod:

I know this thread is several years old but I just wanted to wrap up what I did in case anyone is looking at this in the future.

I used the top set of adjustable rockers because I could not get the middle one apart, it needs to soak in some degreaser for a while, I had completely dismantled the first one and cleaned it all up (actually it was apart for a long time in ziplock bags) I replaced the cracked adjusters, all seems well.

I used ’65 Galaxie 390cid solid lifter pushrods and they work fine with the rocker arms and I had plenty of adjustment with them.

This info is all in my 250 engine build thread but someone may not want to wade through that thread to find this little tidbit :roll:

See Ya,
Mike

yup. some good info here.
:nod:
I like the part number in #9. The pic (middle set) in #13 w/the accompaning info (#16).
U guys make a good team!
:p
Thnx 4 da 'kick off' Mike, hope the build is where U want it~

Back