What to do with '82 Mercury Zephyr head?

jimlj66

The plan was to rebuild the head, do a two bbl direct mount and the Performance Handbook tricks and install on my '66 Mustang.
Reality is sinking in and I have come to realize I'll never get around to it. I drive the Mustang a thousand or two miles a year, and I don't really need any more go fast because I'll never use it.

The '66 stang is a170?
That head, some machining (& the simple 'tricks' U mention) should be a nice DD?

If not some on here would grab it from our '4Sale' forum...

(Still remembering ur bronk).

Craiglist or keep it as a spare. If you are running the small log and points or pertronix, it's still an upgrade with more air and bigger valves. Put a 300 YF and DSII in if you ever need to pull the head you're running.

Howdy back Jim:

Dontcha hate it when reality gets in the way of a dream plan! Unfortunately to many dream plans get trashed after a glorious beginning because reality wasn't included in the plan.

Here's a thought. Stash the Zephyr head. At some point you are likely need to do a valve job on '66 head. When that time comes pull out the Z head, freshen it and use it to replace the stock head. About the only cost difference will be the need to do some extra milling to regain a 9:1 cr. When the new head is ready swap it out for the old one in an afternoon (with good planning, needed tools and parts in hand).

Also, when needed replace the stock type muffler with a turbo type.

I'm trying to remember, Evanston, Wy is near the continental divide and high plains. If it has an elevation of around 5,000 ft you could use a little extra initial advance.

Anyway, enjoy the driver.

Adios, David

Back