Recurved SCV dizzy

62Cometman

I'm wanting to convert my stock carb motor to either a 3 carb set up if I can get a hold of it or a 2 barrel set up In doing so i was wondering could i convert the original svc dizzy to a purely mechanical asvance system eliminating the need for vacuum to the diz, Bill I was wondering if this is something you can do? I have the earlier small ford oil pump drive with a pertrnoix coil and points conversion kit installed

Thanks in advance,
Darrian

You can, but it doesn't ever work well enough to create a reliable low vacuum curve. They are very slow to provide advance when the engine is accelerated under load. Where the centrifugal weights of a conventional distributor immediatly swing out as the rpm is increased, the vacuum diaphragm in the LoadoMatic reacts slowly to the weak signal that is applied to it from the carburetor's Spark Control Valve (SCV)

It's unreliable, and when it needs a lot of initial advance fast for economy, or torque and power during acceleration, it drops the ball. Every time. The result is a loss of low end pulling power and then, a loss of speed to do any task (ie, a loss of power).

Potentially, there are three vacuum sources ultimately on any carb.

I6_emissions_era_three_way_Manifold_Spark_Ported_vacuum_Advance_001.jpg

Loadomatic port has two drillings inside, one to the venturi (Velocity/Speed based Spark vacuum SCV port) )and then one down into base area (MANIFOLD VACUUM).

It outputs to the distributor an interplay vacuum between manifold and speed venturi vacuum. The quirky reverse Power Valve funtions as a when the vacuum drops, the valve starts to shut. It was designed not to hurt the vacuum window wipers, and the transfer port (T) is too small, and zig zags over a labyrinth which cannot allow the volume of air needed to calibrate it for a proper performance engine.

There is a T channel on top, above the T port (Transfer Port).

Fords rationale was that side valve 135's, 221s, 239's or 337's, all 239-312 Y blocks and log head 144/170/200 sixes were basically just low rpm sluggers, and Loadomatic works fine with that scenario. Great with vacuum wipers too. But any time you carb, cam or exhaust it up, it cannot cope at all.

Plug the outer SCV port and you can forget about it without further work. This will not affect carburetor operation. It'll still suffer, and loose torque, power and will ping.

You'll never make a Loadomatic work the way a normal vac advance distributor like the California 1966-1968 Autolite or 1974 to 1983 Duraspark does.

chart5.gif

http://m571.com/yblock/loadomatic.htm
How does a Load O Matic Distributor Work?":1sobc8q5 said:
As the engine rpm increases, the vacuum signal of the venturi will be passed across the top of the "T" channel to the distributor. Generally, this vacuum signal will be from 0 to about 6" of vacuum, and this will provide from 11* to 17* of advance AT THE DISTRIBUTOR. (Remember, you have to double distributor degrees for crank degrees.)

The exact amounts of vacuum and advance degrees will vary between engine applications, but this will get you in the ballpark.

When the manifold vacuum rises above 6" or 7", the spark control valve will open. At this point, the vacuum that is in the manifold will be applied to the top "T" channel from the spark control valve chamber. It MUST be at or above the vacuum level that is needed to open the spark control valve, so it is more than will be coming from the venturi signal at any RPM.

Therefore, at the opening point of the spark control valve, the signal that is applied to the distributor to control the advance will pass from the venturi signal to the manifold signal.

Putting this in terms of the engine, when the engine revs up, the advance is increased because the venturi vacuum is increased. So, advance increases as the speed of the engine increases.

But, if the engine load is light, the engine needs even more advance for better fuel economy (read the first part of the Load O Matic description to understand why). When the manifold vacuum gets high enough, the spark control valve opens and control of distributor advance passes to the stronger manifold vacuum signal, for even more advance.

If you've followed my attempt at explaining the Load O Matic to this point, you are probably thinking to yourself: "This can't be right, because the manifold vacuum will bleed out thru the orifice going to the venturi, instead of operating the distributor advance canister. Tthis doesn't happen, but if you have thought this, you have come upon the reason that the Load O Matic gives lousy performance:

The reason that manifold vacuum doesn't bleed off into the venturi is because the venturi orifice is very small. This restriction keeps the greatest part of the vacuum signal applied to the distributor advance unit, even though a slight amount of bleed off does occur.

But, in order to limit the bleed off, the venturi orifice is too small to allow enough air to move in the "T" cross passage quickly. So, an abrupt change in rpm will increase the vacuum in the venturi, but the orifice restriction in the distributor passage (needed to keep the manifold vacuum signal from bleeding off) will not pass very much air from the distributor vacuum canister, which keeps the Load O Matic from giving advance to the engine as quickly as it needs it.

The result is that soggy acceleration that Load O Matics are noted (notorious?) for.

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=76821
wsa111":1sobc8q5 said:
Read this link I put in our tech forum.

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=76821

Delete%20SCV%20001_zpsxyelynqm.jpg

Delete%20SCV%202_zpsrlyj2zxu.jpg

This converts the loadamatic to ported vacuum. It eliminates the venturi vacuum from the DS11.
I can modify yours for $50.00. Bill

really like the CI tech sketch.
I thought I'd read the entirety of the archive in '09 but still don't remember that one.
Clears up the SCV operation well 4 me.
Thanks much for the post.

Well my biggest thing is that it looks like the DUI dizzy that Matt sells for my motor still have a vacuum advance to it which for a 2 barrel set up isn't an issue however if I can get a tri single setup my vacuum supply to the dizzy is essentially null and void which leads me back to where I started. What are people running on the tri carb setups?

I hate to see you go with the DUI, but unless the block is modified & you replace the oil pump & shaft you are stuck with the DUI.
However the DUI will have to be recurved for your build. Bill

"...on the tri carb setups..."
i have seen the stock '68 + and
the DS II here.

62Cometman":3180wslp said:
Well my biggest thing is that it looks like the DUI dizzy that Matt sells for my motor still have a vacuum advance to it which for a 2 barrel set up isn't an issue however if I can get a tri single setup my vacuum supply to the dizzy is essentially null and void which leads me back to where I started. What are people running on the tri carb setups?

Pertronix II electronci conversion, and a 1968 or Thermactor California model 66-68 200 distributor. They used to make Acell distributors.

Any DSII works. The early engines just needed the pilot hole opened out and the right kind of hex drive to turn it.

Triples work best with Carter YFA's, they fit, and have the right fittings.

jdn21758,

groot-S5000676.JPG

Jan Douwe Noordenbos

NSCC - North Side Custom Club Friesland - Jan Douwe & Esther ...
North Side Custom Club

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=40208

jdn21758":3180wslp said:
hello i am new here,51 years old and live in the netherlands,my name is JD.i have build an new triple carb six inline for my
mustang cabrio 1968.i used a lot of information from the forum,thanks for that everybody.watch the photo's below,,,,,,,,

whit thanks to INLINE SIX (PERFORMENCE)

greetings:jan douwe noordenbos,,,,, 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msck2ZSK-Qk

Jan wuz cool~
even use Australian to understand 'dutch'.
:eek:

Back