Clutch size for 3 on the tree for 200

StarDiero75

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
Howdy,

I have a 65 Ranchero with a 3 on the tree and a 200. The clutch is starting to go on me and I'm wondering what is the diameter of the clutch so I can buy it ahead of time?

Thanks!

HI if your 65 Ranchero is still all orginal 200 engine and 3 speed trans then it would have an 8 1/2 (8.5) inch presure plate & clutch disk. Good luck. :nod:

bubba22349":1fs5uh29 said:
HI if your 65 Ranchero is still all orginal 200 engine and 3 speed trans then it would have an 8 1/2 (8.5) inch presure plate & clutch disk. Good luck. :nod:

Yeah it should be all original. Thanks man!!

bubba22349":2e2dtnq1 said:

Also, what model should it be too if you don't mind me asking?

if you buy a complete kit, check the fit of everything before you assemble everything. for instance with my old 66 falcon, i bought a clutch kit and teh throw out bearing was the wrong size, and the guy i had install the clutch for me(wasnt allowed to work on my own cars in a national park) didnt notice it, or notice that the pilot bearing was shot. so i had the guys piece together a clutch kit, including getting a blank pilot bearing and machining it to fit.

rbohm":3efs155y said:
if you buy a complete kit, check the fit of everything before you assemble everything. for instance with my old 66 falcon, i bought a clutch kit and teh throw out bearing was the wrong size, and the guy i had install the clutch for me(wasnt allowed to work on my own cars in a national park) didnt notice it, or notice that the pilot bearing was shot. so i had the guys piece together a clutch kit, including getting a blank pilot bearing and machining it to fit.
Ouch, will note that.

StarDiero75":1z96ljgq said:
bubba22349":1z96ljgq said:

Also, what model should it be too if you don't mind me asking?

The orginal pressure plates were a Borg & Beck three finger design if you ask for a rebuilt clutch assembly for a 1965 Ford Ranchero with a 200 six that is what you should receive. If you go for a new clutch kit then it could be a Diafram type such as Luk. Most better auto parts stores should still have a listing like NAPA etc. it used to be that you could buy just the throw out bearing and install on your assembly I don't know if these are still offered.

X2 it's best to match up everthing before you start reassembly, and carefully check the condistion of the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. These can be worn out and even egg shaped in that case you will need to replace it too, or it can effect clutch and the transmissions front bearing. Also check the flywheel surface if it's not nice and flat you should have the flywheel resurface at an auto parts / machine shop so that it is. I usally apply a small amount of white grease after cleaning the trans input spline and the front that goes into the pilot bearing, front bearing slide for throw out bearing too. Good luck on your Ranchero. :nod:

8 yrs ago I lent out the bronk for an income, no wrk here. I visited 1 day (lill over 5 mi away) & observed some clutch-burn out labors. They agreed to replace and finished their work. It took 3 wks to find a clutch. The 20, 30 yrs of ownership - I never needed a clutch. Y was it so difficult to get one ordered to fit (they tried 2 or 3 & finally took it to a transmission shop for the final ID & did the fitting @ home).
I C in this post: "Which of 3?" I know there's 8, 9, 10 (& to put in my NV3550 they recommend an) 11 inch/& other fractional inch clutches. To me the sz goes up in cases of higher tq output. I believe the FW & clutch must B matched & the bell diameter can limit the size of the clutch.

Y did they have so much trouble finding a clutch for a car 170 some 1 put in my bronk back in early 80s? (I'm not talkin bout the 3 fingered v diaphramic, etc).

Is it all ways better to have a bearing (throw out) than a (pilot) bushing? Thanks~

Falcon six engines never used the 8 inch clutch like was used on the old 223 six (in cars). Early Falcons six'es used the 8.5 inch clutch with the 2.77 trans, when Ford started using the 3.03 trans they then went to the 9 inch clutch. Absolutely in cases of engines with more torque or an engine that's used for hard work such as in a truck application then yes you could benefit from a larger clutch unit. The 10 inch clutches stock were only used on the V8's or 223 sixes found in the larger trucks. A 10 inch clutch is fairly easy to fit on a 250 six, if you going to use an 11 inch it's going to take some custom work to fit on a 250 six. You actually need to have both the throw out bearing and pilot bearing as they do two different jobs. Good luck :nod:

Back