200 cam worth it for me?

sefus

My 200 is coming along and as Im fixing a leaky radiator, of course I say, well nows a good time for a cam! Its a hobby car, what can I say lol. Dont know if its worth it on my build though. Besides the Duraspark and MSD, Im still on a 1 bbl 1940 carb... and thats about it. Header and exhaust will be next but no plans for a 5 speed or any other head work which yes, Im aware would make a big difference, but I know the stock cam is a bit weak so Im wondering if a new albeit modest one would be worthwhile. At some point I will toss an 8" rear in with some gears but its still just a cruising 6 cylinder car so going to stay in the highway realm. 323s at most. So my question is for all you experts, with my combination and driving, should I bother and if so, which one?

Thanks!

wsa111 has a used Crane Cam with lifters for sale on the forum at a decent price.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=77206
256I-264E works on a stock engine, a lot of low end torque.

Without additional modifications, don't go above a 264 duration, 274 tops.

Good Luck.
Have Fun

that 1 OK for a C4?

Howdy Sefus and all:

Does your Holley 1940 have a SCV?

To install a new cam you will most likely need to pull the head or the pan to get access to lifter galley.

While you have the radiator out you may want to open the cam timing cover to check the cam timing chain for excess slop.

If you decide to not upgrade your cam you might want to consider 1.6:1 high lift rocker arms for a slight increase in valve lift. High lift rocker arms are an easy bolt-on. Do you currently have adjustable rocker arms?

A cam in the 256/260 range should do you well.

PS given your description of your suspension upgrades, does you car Understeer or plow? I did a 1" front sway bar on my Ranchero and it had heavy oversteer. The solution was a rear sway bar, about 1/2" diameter.

Keep it coming and good luck.

Adios, David

No SCV on my carb. I saw that cam that Bill has for sale and PMed him on it even lol. Keep meaning to grab some 1.6 rockers but never have. Might be a good excuse to if they'd play well with that crane cam. I've only done a couple easy drives around for function and leak tests so not quite sure how its steering at speed just yet. I'll eventually lower this thing down an inch or so and will have to align it up after that so the suspension is going to be a constant work in progress over the next few months.

Howdy Back:

If you are changing the cam to one with higher lift, there is no need for 1.6 rockers too. You'll get the lift you need from the cam. High lift rockers are quite expensive and the extra .030" valve lift will be marginally worth it given your intended use. High lift rocker arms may be worth it if you are not installing a performance cam. Just my thought.

On the suspension, what tires and sizes will you be using?

Adios, David

Ah, gotchya, thanks. Im used to mopar v8s so still new to these i6's (although they are more fun lol) so either cam or lifters... and the cam would be cheaper.

Havent decided on the tires yet. Basically im delaying a big snowball until I have the engine dialed in a bit more. I have some granada brakes in the garage and a buddy with an 8" rear so I'll do those at the same time (so the bolt patterns will match) and at that point will do new wheels and thus, tires. Since Im not quite there yet I havent researched what the right combo is when lowering the car as well.

Howdy Again:

"so either cam or lifters... and the cam would be cheaper."

That would be cam or high lift rocker arms.

While the cam, by itself would be cheaper, all of the other parts necessary, would make for a quite expensive and involved change. While the 1.6 rocker arms are. pretty much a bolt on upgrade.

When changing cams it is a good idea to look at the cam bearings, timing chain and lifters.

Adios, David

Back