1 Attachment(s) Volt meter reading at coil - wire drops and fluctuates. Problem?

I just charged the battery. Volt meter reading across the pots is 12.45. Seems a bit low? Could that contribute to weak spark? I guess car actually runs off alternator right? I don't have any starting issues.

Just did this test.

To check the resister wire, disconnect the negative wire from the coil to the distributor, and replace it with a jumper to ground. Then check voltage at the coil positive terminal with the ignition on.

Voltage was 5.5. Seems low right? Enough to cause weak spark?

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated!

Yes all those readings are a bit low! Start working with the battery maybe take and have it charged up use a hydrometer to test each cell, and have a load test done on it after that. If you can't get the voltage up to at least 13.4 volts then you might have a weak cell or two then you should replace it with a new or a known good battery. Good luck :nod:

Hi, do you test 12.45 V at idle or key off? You should have 13.5 - 14 V. See what happens when you raise the RPMs. The voltage should go up. A good test is to check voltage with the headlights on. If you are having charging system trouble you can have a test done for free at many places, as mentioned. If there is alternator and regulator trouble I would get the bigger 65 amp alternator and newer electronic regulator, which is a bolt in. I think your points system should run fine at 6 V + or - 1 volt. We used to limp these cars home after charging system failure, no heater, lights, or acc. The ignition system is very low draw. As mentioned, clean, tight wire connections are very important. Good luck

:unsure: The car runs off the battery.All the alternator does is keep the battery charged.You can take the generator or alternator out of the system,and the vehicle will run just fine until the battery voltage gets too low to service the ignition system.There are quite a few race cars that use whats referred to as a total loss ignition system to save weight.Just uses a battery with no charging system to service the ignition system.The battery is recharged between races,or replaced with a freshly charged one.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

X3 the Alternator's only perpose is to recharge and maintain the battery! If the battery can't be fully charged then the alternator can't do its job. Good luck :nod:

Thanks for all of the help.

I charged the battery again yesterday. It has sat overnight. I measure 12.60 across with my voltmeter now when car is off and cables are on battery.

Running I measure 14.00 so I think the battery / alternator is not my issue. Easy to get side tracked when working on these things.

Spent a lot of time yesterday checking the wiring volts and resistance both hot and cold with my voltmeter. Did not find anything out of the ordinary. I am getting a consistent 5.5v to the coil but I suppose that is enough to run good from what I have read. Wish it was more like 7v though. Not thinking that is causing my weak spark at this point.

Not much left really. Must have a weak (brand new) condenser? Going to buy another condenser and points to install today and give it a shot. I did get my new smaller main jets today so am going to put those in. Pretty sure what I have is to big and may be contributing to dumping to much fuel into the system and fouling out my plugs. Car has always run rich even when running well.

Will keep at it and report back with what it was if I ever figure it out!

"...side tracked…"
any systemic diagnosis dictates a 'rule out' decision tree.
Da bat-tree is not a side track,
8^0
more ta go…

Good Luck
keep talkin!

Back