Carb for thought

64-5mustang

I alordy have a webber 32 38 on a 65 200 auto trans small log head the internals are unknown cam will become a 264 264 110 since the head is comming off is it wOrth it do machine the head for a two barrel opening. It is currently 2 to 1 adapter, the intake doesn't look like there's much there to work with. Thanks in advance

what yr. is the head?

a direct mount is often done very poorly
w/o the knowledge
AND
fantastically w/knowledge, performance carbs & certain logs…

What is the vehicle's final application?

(think about the auto as a system rather than an 'add something here & there')
sorry if that's a patronizing offering

The head year unknown, and I am open to use a different head. I'm just looking to do a mild engen and I can alordy see that intake as a choke point. Wish the cl head was in my range at this point the head is not a big thing but if I can help it is will

64-5mustang":1evi67no said:
The head year unknown, and I am open to use a different head. I'm just looking to do a mild engen and I can alordy see that intake as a choke point. Wish the cl head was in my range at this point the head is not a big thing but if I can help it is will
If you want better flow, look into a 250 head, it's got a bigger log thus bigger intake and all. I will be doing this on another 200 I have. The weber cut out into the log I heard is a great thing. It improves breathing ability. But the best supposedly is to cut the log off and make a custom intake, oooorrrr do a 3x1 setup. But if weber is your thing, yes it will make a difference but I recommend using the 250 head, it'll improve the breathing ability even more.

If this is your plan though, I'd do headers too. You won't be disappointed. If you're trying to pump more in, you gotta get more out, y'know? I got your setup now with a 32/36 with the 2 to 1 adapter, but it's a 3spd, and I'll be doing headers soon.

Howdy 64/5mustang:

Your head can be identified by the casting code on the top of the intake log just behind the carb. If it is a stock 64/5 head it will have a casting code of C4DE- D. The letters and numbers will tell the casting design year.

Modifying the intake will help to get the most out of the Weber you have. But, be sure to take care of compression ratio and valve flow while the head is off to do the carb mount issues.

PS, what ignition are you using?

Adios, David

I may not know the history of this engen but I'm sure that its been around, as the block is two different blues. Head number is G6DE-6080-B block is 06DE-6015-B that first 0 may be wrong exhaust manifold C3DE-9430 and the dizzy is a hei that could change in the future. I'm asking the head questions now because the engine lost a lobe on the cam so it's a rebuild since I'm pretty much there I'll have a machine shop machine what's needed do a 3 angle valve cc the head, deck the block for the thicker head gaskets

Howdy back:

It sounds like you have a plan. The first character on the codes for the head and block is likely a "C". "C" would indicate a part from the sixties. The "6" indicates the year, so the head and block are likely 1966 casting codes and produced in 1966 or shortly after. The earlier C3 on the exhaust manifold is not unusual. Exhaust manifolds occasionally cracked or got broken and were replaced with what ever could be found.

You've got a good plan for the block and head. Keep us posted on your progress.

Adios, David

Back