Clutch disc/flywheel

nachoman

I've got the 9" clutch disc setup, I believe from a 1967 model, and a 1967 flywheel (are there p/n stamped on these?).

I wore out the clutch, and bought a new clutch kit from M-pact through Rockauto. The pressure plate and the throwout fit fine. The clutch disc is the right diameter and the correct spline size, but the "hub" part of the disk interferes with the flywheel surface. It's too big in diameter for the recess in the flywheel. Is my flywheel wrong, or is this the wrong clutch disc?

Thanks,
Kevin

First is the new disk identical to the old and same with the pressure plate. Second the disk only goes in one way make sure it's not backwards.

nachoman":e2jni5gg said:
I've got the 9" clutch disc setup, I believe from a 1967 model, and a 1967 flywheel (are there p/n stamped on these?).

I wore out the clutch, and bought a new clutch kit from M-pact through Rockauto. The pressure plate and the throwout fit fine. The clutch disc is the right diameter and the correct spline size, but the "hub" part of the disk interferes with the flywheel surface. It's too big in diameter for the recess in the flywheel. Is my flywheel wrong, or is this the wrong clutch disc?

Thanks,
Kevin

Wrong size clutch. Period

Stromin'Normans been there; the aftermarket Bronco spec 9-1/8" clutches hit the inside of passenger car bellhousings, and create a lot of problems.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread. ... tion/page2
Stormin' Norman":e2jni5gg said:
Well, after this adventure, here is why my new clutch cable broke and why it wouldn't disengage.

The clutch plate was oversized on the diameter. The shop had a 'seasoned' mechanic/machinist who knows Fox stick shifts, and some of the issues that plague them. He had the younger mechanics reassemble the trans into the bell, and tested it for himself. The clutch was just over 1/8" oversized, enough that the pressure plate couldn't move into place. They also changed the pressure plate bolts from the cheap cadmium-plated bolts that came with the kit to ARP bolts.

She runs like a champ! What a difference with the rear swaybar and posi-trac! No dipping, just a tight suspension all around. Awesome!

And since Ford didn't write their manuals with after-market vendors in mind, I forgive them for not cautioning to check the diameter of the clutch plate.

This was sold to me as a 9" clutch. The pressure plate looks the same, with the exception of the levers on the new plate a bit beefier. Bolts up to the flywheel just fine - but haven't checked to see if it would interfere with the bellhousing. the The clutch disc looks the same, but obviously is different because it won't fit. What seems to be interfering on the new disc are rivet heads that hold the center hub part together, and the little bent up flanges that hold the springs in place. Basically, the hole in the flywheel is about 1/2" too small in diameter. Did the early broncos have a flywheel that was different?

My thought is that whoever put the kit together only cared about the diameter and spline size and didn't think about any other dimensions.

Flywheel needs resurfacing anyway - I wonder if I can get them to machine a little 1/4 deep step around the center recess.

You should be able to machine the bolt recess to a larger diameter for clearance.
rickwrench had his 8.5-inch flywheel machined when installing a Jeep diesel clutch disc in his Falcon for a T5 swap.

I had the flywheel bolt recess in my Corvair machined to clearance a Vega clutch disc.
The bent up flanges for the springs would hit against the top of the flywheel bolts. Not good.

You could just purchase a clutch disc from another vendor to see if it would work.

I'd bet wrong clutch disc. You should not have to have anything machined. I just went thru about 3 'correct' discs to get the right one.

I have a 3.03 mated to a '63 block via a '63 econoline bell housing. This is a 8-1/2" clutch but with a 1-1/16" shaft. Took months to find one that fits.

frozenrabbit":dlzxtddm said:
I'd bet wrong clutch disc. You should not have to have anything machined. I just went thru about 3 'correct' discs to get the right one.

I have a 3.03 mated to a '63 block via a '63 econoline bell housing. This is a 8-1/2" clutch but with a 1-1/16" shaft. Took months to find one that fits.

I'm sure I could eventually find one that fits. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to know until I order it, wait for delivery, etc. Can't just go to the part store and test them out anymore :(

Back