Ford 170 Timing Chain Cover Bolts

Wascator

Hi, in building my 170, I found enough of the bolts in the box for the timing chain cover, but three of them seem to be too long. I wonder if there is an assembly manual for the engine which would help me find all the right bolts? Some of them may have a bracket underneath, etc., but I have no way of knowing as I did not take it apart.

Hi, check the cover with your bolts nearby. Some holes on the cover are longer than others. Good luck

Thanks; on my cover all the holes are the same depth. I found a 200 six in a salvage yard and I am going to look at it today. I will get some of the bolts from it, too.
I have four bolts which are about 1/4 inch longer than the others, and I need four bolts to finish installing the cover, which seems to be telling me that these are the bolts, and I don't understand where they go, or that something else like a bracket fits underneath the heads. I know these four are about 1/4 inch too long for any of the threaded holes except the one near the oil filter which is drilled and tapped all the way through. The head styles are the same with an integral washer forged onto the head, so they are not off-the-shelf bolts added later, and they are all for a 3/8 in wrench.

IIRC some may fit the water pump?

Back