200cid carb alternates? D2Pf-EA?

rafaelb

The Autolite 1100 seems a little spendy for a little 1v fuel mixer, has anyone had experience with the Maverick carb D2Pf-EA which are cheap on ebay? Or other recommendations? THanks!!

Howdy Raf:

The carb, D2Pf-EA, is likely a Carter YF. they are good carbs but may require some adaptation; linkage, fuel line and may not be compatible with your distributor.

What's the problem 1100?

Adios, David

OP, I'd guess you have a 69 or later head? The RBS is a good carb, 300 YF's are good but much taller, the 300 YFA is shorter but I think taller than an RBS for an addition 5-10 cfm.

I can't wait to here how the budget Chinese YF treats you Darrell. Was it the YF or the the YFA?

On that miss, I'll bet you it's the duraspark module assuming the coil and wires are good. And a new one may not fix it!... Been there done that. I just went around on that issue and an hei module and tfi coil later, no miss. It's hard to get a good DSII module, mine went tits up and I had a good excuse to try something else, it was a blessing.

CZLN6":3icfhwl6 said:
Howdy Raf:

The carb, D2Pf-EA, is likely a Carter YF. they are good carbs but may require some adaptation; linkage, fuel line and may not be compatible with your distributor.

What's the problem 1100?

Adios, David

Mainly, I don't have one! And looking around cores are north of $100 then a rebuild kit then tedious labor or pay someone $$$....the YFs I'm seeing on ebay are nice and shiny!

Gotta link? There's a lot of confusion on what is a YF and what's a YFA. Some think anything after 71-2 is a YFA, some think only feedback carbs are YFAs. There's alot of overlap between the design change of the 2 types. To me the YFA is the shorter one. The YF is a tall carb, it looks tall, even the later ones. And the YFA has the thinner base, both have the butterfly in the base. Some YF bases are iron, some are aluminum, all YFA bases are aluminum/zinc ect.

"...YF Type Carter 250-300 Engines 6i …"
already I think - "what carb is right for 2 motors so different?"
$94 new is nice tho.
What's the value on that low price? durability? quality?

So I picked up an inexpensive YFA off flea-bay, and I already have the DuraSpark II setup ready to go. I'm thinking I switch both at the same time because the vac-0-matic and carb go hand in hand but honestly, there is so much info around here about DuraSpark conversions I can't figure it all out.

Is there a lazy, approximate way to set up a DSII dizzy on the 200cid without sending it in for a recurve? I've seen the simple kits with just a couple of springs, can I just throw that in and get decent performance? or do I have to go through hoops and calculations and spend $$$ to get decent performance?

try it as is, I'll bet ur happy. If not...
go 4 the re-curve later. Plenty info on net ...
Mr. Gasket (kit) springs, bend the tab, etc.

Still not happy? C Farron or Bill here.

chad":39610qos said:
try it as is, I'll bet ur happy. If not...
go 4 the re-curve later. Plenty info on net ...
Mr. Gasket (kit) springs, bend the tab, etc.

Still not happy? C Farron or Bill here.

Unfortunately I'm a visual learner, and I've been reading tons of threads and they go into the weeds very quickly...not quite as bad as the threads on jets size/metereing rods/etc on the YFA tuning threads but close....

I got the DSII unit at a boneyard, but didn't grab a dizzy because I figures it could be worn out anyway so I was going to get a reman from Autozone. Any paritcular best one to use? I was looking at the '78 Fairmont distributor. With a six having more spacing between wires than on an eight, can I get away with using a smaller normal sized cap or do I have to use the honken big high-voltage one that looks out of place on a '65?

Also, which port on the carb does the distributor go using the DSII? Thanks everyone!

"...so much info around here about DuraSpark conversions I can't figure..."
I like 'go fast for less . com/org?" cuz he's got the DSII schematics (charts 4 us visual guys) and verbage.

Also I think he shows an HEI (GM 'brain') alternative to the ford box if wishing 2 go that route.

Congtats 4 switchin out the carb & dizzy.

Howdy Raf and All:

Good get on the carb. I'll be anxious to hear how it works.
Q- I was looking at the '78 Fairmont distributor. With a six having more spacing between wires than on an eight, can I get away with using a smaller normal sized cap or do I have to use the honken big high-voltage one that looks out of place on a '65?
A- Yes, you can use the original small cap version of the DuraSpark distributor.

Q- Also, which port on the carb does the distributor go using the DSII?
A- A ported vacuum source which is located higher on the carb body. I'll look for a picture.

My two cents is to use the DuraSpark as it is. For a mostly stock engine you'll still see a nice improvement on how your engine runs. With a performance cam and more compression a recurve becomes more important.

Adios, David

CZLN6":1848dchx said:
A- Yes, you can use the original small cap version of the DuraSpark distributor.

Adios, David

Would you know the application that uses the small cap version? Thanks!

I believe 1975 Maverick would use the small cap & rotor. I strongly advise using the larger cap though. Either one the distributor needs to be recurved for your combination. See my PM Bill

Those Chinese clone YFAs sure do look tempting, but I picked up a used YFA [77 maverick I think] off flea-bay for $20 so here goes nothing!

I am taking off the 2v that the previous owner had on the engine, and of course I'm losing the carb adapter plate that goes under it, but now I'm wondering is this YFA supposed to have a riser like I see some people have under it before the intake? I've seen them, they look like aluminum and have about three things sticking out of them, do I need one of those? If not, do I need some kind of heat sheild like a phenolic spacer? What's the norma?

Also, the throttle was already converted to a cable one to work the 2v, I'm hoping I can cobble some bracket to hold it but it's old school with the cable plain on the end for use in a split bolt clamp, but the YFA looks to want some kind of rotating thing to grab the ball on the lever. Anyone got a mcgiver for that connection?

Thanks of course in advance, I'm LOVING this! Reminds me of 20years ago when I got my first 26" mountain bike. Felt like a kid again, it's the same size proportiantely as a stingray, unlike the larger roadie biciycles the spandex crowd loves.

Back