Ignition rehash with carb upgrade/change

rafaelb

Yeah, so sorry for blowing up the forum, but I've been sitting on my Ranchero for soooooo long and things need to break free soon, the weeds are getting too tall !!

I've been stocking up parts for mods/upgrades since last November, and ciritical mass is nearing, and I'm concerned about two inter-related components: Carb and Distributor.

I had already grabbed a duraspark module and coil off an F150 thinking I'd grab a Fairmont dizzy and upgrade.
I've been poring over the threads about Chinese carbs, weber 2v carb conversions, ebay selling shiny YFs out of Mavericks for cheap....

Can I just bypass a lot of the carb issues by doing the ignition first and freeing myself from the vac-0-matic issue? Are there particular years of Fairmont dizzys with the "best" advance curves for something like I'm contemplating? Am I missing ramifications in reverse in selecting a carb if I do the distributor update first?

Sorry but I'm the kind of guy who likes to grok then over-grok things before I jump in but I also realize there are no "best" answers, I'm sure there are fans of the 1100 who disagree with the Weber 2v fans who disagree with the YF fans who disagree with ....

You could push it to another part of the yard ;) Sounds like you've gathered most of what you need and are on the verge of greatness :beer:

Seriously though, if I was there, I'd tell you to put in a DSII distributor(forget the curve right now) a delco HEI module mounted to some kind of heatsink, a TFI coil out of EFI Ford and it's connector/pigtail. Run the ignition off a fused wire from the battery through a relay triggered by old run wire. You've already got the YF(A) coming so try that. Give it some fuel and fire it up. Hook the vac advance to the ported source on the carb and set the initial timing to 10-12 to start out and run it. Tune the carb then adjust the initial timing up until it wants to ping under load, then turn it back a couple degrees.

Econoline":1vxa9aeh said:
You could push it to another part of the yard ;) Sounds like you've gathered most of what you need and are on the verge of greatness :beer:

LOL! I park it on the street in front of my house. I've been here 17 years and the neighborhood has flipped from blue collar to two income/no kids white collar snobs. One house that should be worth $350,000 sold a couple of months ago for $1.4 million! One of the other old-school neighbors told me I should roll it in front of that house! Now I have the parts truck parked tailgate to tailgate, it looks like a giant mirror, they're both black! Like mutant siamese twins!

But yeah the parts truck has pushed me near critical mass. I got red carpets for cheap so instead of rattle can black rat rod I'm thinking Rustoleum Red so out comes all the stainless. Is there a build section here? I should start posting. I was going to start a build thread over at tffn but it's going down [and sad face, the guy who runs it refuses to let anyone take over so be sure and d/l anything you think might be important from over there]

"One house that should be worth $350,000 sold a couple of months ago for $1.4 million! One of the other old-school neighbors told me I should roll it in front of that house! Now I have the parts truck parked tailgate to tailgate, it looks like a giant mirror, they're both black! Like mutant siamese twins!"

I know, it's going that way here. Crazy shite. At least we've got equity. You should start a thread. Ego's on forums can be a trip. I think people get complacent and comfortable with their 'mates' and they lose touch with why they are there. This is a good forum, good people. Without this place, I'd have had a hell of a time building my little 6

oh yeah, been over there & seen it's got some good early model tech ed threads.
Thanks, didn't ring any bells (but most my wires aren't connected anyway).
:shock:
:LOL:

Back