66 - 200 Mustang - Searching for a Direction - Pure Fun

I think one of the most compelling reasons to go with a 250 over a 200 is the bell pattern, at least it was for me. I really wanted overdrive and I wanted an auto. The upside is more cubes, more torque and it is a truck afterall, ftmp. But a 200 would have been much easier and cheaper in my 64. With the C4 I think you're making a good choice fwiw.

Mike W asked us back in 2004 if We'd like a Detriot Locker 7.25" axle conversion, and we all said in one voice.

"No".

Its only the guys who read the history, and know what goes with what that build real crowd pleasing Fords.

People like Slade, Mike1157, Varilux, AzCoupe.

You don't have to mortgage your kids future off....

Any one who invests in a multiple carb intake or Vintage In lines style head will get great results on a 200.

All the orginal Ford Falcon six points scores were on sub 170 cubic inch engines.

Super charged triple carb 155 engines

Hibourne Injected 155 cube engines that did 200 mph in the Pumkin Seed

Offenhauser, Edlebrock and CP enginering Stropp Triple and Hilbourne injected Falcons.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77062&p=593131#p593131
Care of Hot Rodding the 144 Ford 6 page 46

This enlargement care of http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/3552 ... _heads.jpg

At first glance, Ford light-duty six heads all look the same. This is a '60 144ci cylinder-head casting-a C0OE. Casting numbers and dates are important for identification. The earlier heads have smaller valves and chambers. Valve and chamber size increased with increasing displacement.

Every year from 1960 until 1972 the power adders were just sensational, but the EPA put the clamps on it. That is not the case with most 1979 Fox Mustangs or any old 1966 Mustang T code.

These days its gone back to grey slurry V8 verses How do I tune my stock I6 stupidity, where we are all of us going bkac to Mr Bungle and Doit debates already answerd years ago by many publications.

All were answered by Jay Storer, Ak Miller, and Hot Rod and Performance Ford magazines in the "way back" age, and Mike W responded and gave the greatest gift, a proper US made alloy head. Don't be afraid of investing in the alloy head and enjoying it.

But the basics in the early 60's were bang on!

For years, Australians have found its not cubic inches, but

Five speed gearboxes

Good alloy heads and cylinder head modifications

and turbo chargers

and usally just a big old dumb 4-bbl 650 Holley Double pumper gives you great results.

These days, Vintage Inlines has all the good gear, but so do wrecked Ford vehciles from a junk yard.

Any lower back issues,

go 5R55 automatic from an Explorer

using this Canfield Industries adaptor

adaptor_plate_hdwr.jpg

Which is a near as dammit to what I discussed back in 2004

DSC02326.jpg

and power steering
and 200.
and A/C
and Vintage in lines head
and four YFA carbs on a simple RHS steel intake
(basically, a 650 cfm Holley 4-bbl on the cheap, but it is also progressive and won't over fuel your 200)
and a turbo.

All this stuff is cheap right now. On a performance per pound basis, you can't beat an Aluminum head.

Put a Bishops Kirby power steering box in it (Fords 69 onwards Mustang and then Granada integrated recirculating ball power steering box borrowed from the Australian patent, and used in the early Camaro and Firebirds and kept till the early 90's. Great steering.

The 200 in line six out numbers the 250 10 to 1, and the whole thing about the capacity advantanges of the 250 drop out when you add a turbo into the equation.

The 250 is a lumbering, no hp engine that needs the best cylinder head in the world to correct for its lack of camshaft duration, lift and compression.

The VI head with even the stock cam takes the power up 50%

The turbo, which is really cheap, adds another 50%.

Then everything is stock and has value and fun.

I make a 4BBL intake like the old Ak Miller four Kihein 37 mm Honda carb head. This was the only combination that made proportional gains in economy and both power and torque on Ak Millers dyno in 1967. Ak Miller found that the EPA and Emissions mandates prevented him using idlea parts for power, and by 1972, he opted out of mutlple carbs and went Propane and Turbo charging.

These days, the carb and power adder situation favours going back to his precribed 1967 solution to 200 cubic inch HP.

125 rear wheel hp is 158 flywheel hp net with a manual gearbox.

Thats 1 hp more than a 1982 5.0 Mustang 2V GT or Capri RS 5.0 engine.

Horsing_Around_with_the_Mustang_Six_II_001.jpg

UntitledMontageofFourStubweldedoninletstosmallloghead200.jpg

Matt Coxes cylinder head basically allows an adaptor like what Mike W (the late AzCoupe) and I discussed years ago.

mufp_0710_16_z%2bturbocharged_six_cylinder_mustang%2bmike_winterboer.jpg

The 6i project potentially had it all,

An in line six

(the big 250!)
six independent runner throttles
a good ignition system
a turbo
and An alloy head

90f2066479194255418b907e083134ff--inline-ford-mustangs.jpg

mufp_0711_01_z%2Bturbo_charged_six_cylidner_mustang%2Bengine_bay.jpg

mufp_0712_01_z%2Bturbocharged_six_cylinder_ford_mustang%2Bclassic_inlines.jpg

but the stub adaptor was an idea to make the head able to take other kinds of multiple carb set ups without the huge costs of complicated linkages and Weber carbs. The technology for carbs has improved out of site, and you have options that don't cost a boat load now.

You use four 80 dollar YFA carbs, and run two independ runner on the outer cylinders 1 and 6, and two carbs serving the other cylinders 2, 3, 4 and 5.

The late Mike (AzCoupe) had a back operation. It effectively curtialed his future options because other stuff went wrong. Try getting insurance when your a building contractor and Engine parts guy when your back goes south and your on anit pain meds.

Anyone who has a bad back, don't waste time. Don't aggravate it, but don't waste time.

Look after your back, get an auto, and have a little 200 cube fun.

Life is too short to Bungle It. Figure out whatcha wannna do, and don't be afraid to support your parts suppliers.

Alloy heads, auto trans adaptors and mutlipel carb set ups always have value, and so do stock T code 6 cylinder Mustangs.

Don't over analyse this six cylinder stuff, it won't screw you

Do It!

Back