Falcon six length

Odmark91

Hello!

Does anyone know the full length of a falcon six? I dont know yet what kind of engine it is, 170, 200 etc. but i think its the same.
I have a 1960 Vauxhall Cresta that needs a new engine, and i got the opportunity to buy a straight six out of a ford falcon, complete with transmission and all accessories for cheap.
The only thing im worried about is if the engine is too long, since the original vauxhall six is very short.

So if anyone knows the full length of the falcon six, both the block lenght and block+transmission would be super helpful.

The 138 is about 26.5" long, the PASX 2.6 was 28.7".

The Ford 200 was 29.5, the 221 and 250, 30.5"

The Falcon engine and Holden red motor are both 4.08" bore spacing engines, the 1960 onwards Vauxhalls have plenty of room for the longer 2.6 and 3.3 Vauxhall engines. The radiators were massive, and that takes up most of the space.

Block face to tip of water pump pulley.

The PASY had 3.76" bore spacings just like the 130.5/138 cube Grey motor Holdens, because they were based on the same deep skirt short stoke revision that gave birth to the 1955 EIP Vauxhall engine. The Holden engine can be fitted up with the four bearing steel Vauxhall crank shaft.

The PASX had its nose changed to make space for the 4.125" bore sapcing 2.6 and 3.3 engines.

The Phillip Island "Armstrong 500" winner was actually the 138, the later 2.6 wasn't as quick or fast as the modified 2.262 liter high compression 82.5 hp engine.

Any thing fits in a Vokky. One thin Nissan Skyline or Pintara radiator, the right sump and welded in engine mounts, and your good.

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77062&p=593124#p593124
gb500":udr4f5lk said:
ok here is a size comparison between a ford Australia barra 4.0L six and that well know other ford motor - windsor V8.

very tall engine with the overhead cams and VVT stuff on the top

i know of NO conversions into the small engine bay falcons ie 60 to 66.in australia

there are a few into the wider engine bay 70 onwards falcons.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

here is the dimensions for the australian ford 250 (and late australian 200-same blocks just differnt stroke and rods to the aust 250) from an australian industrial engine catalogue:
200%20250%20page%20enlarged_zpsicssag2k.jpeg

and the Australian - 188/221ci.

188%20221%20%20page%20enlarged_zpsfombmvin.jpeg

The early bellhousing had a 6.25" depth from block face to trans spigot,

and the Top Loader 9 bolt 3 speed is shorter but has the same extension as some 4 speed Top Loaders, 14" or 14  1⁄2"

The depth varies depeding on how you measure it

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=76374
vssman":2i1uelik said:
Photos I PM you posted for anyone else needing this info...
file.php

file.php

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Top Loader 10 bolt 4 speed had the longer main case which measures 12" in length, while the tailhousing measures 14", 14  1⁄2" or 17", depending on the application.

The 4speed gearbox was built in three case lengths.

The 1964-65 Fairlane & Sunbeam Tiger case is ~25-1/2″ long.
The 1965-1973 AC Cobra with 427 cid, all Mustangs, Falcons, Mavericks, Cougars, Fairlanes, Comets, & pickups use ~24″ transmissions,
while all full sized cars & the 428, 429 Torino use the ~27″ box

I think that's a Down Under Q w/an appropriate response.
We can do it all here on F6P !!!

Deano on da job (y)
8)
:beer:

I was always a Vauxhall Velox and Cresta man myself, more cubes, 8.8" diff, 12 port head and bomb proof, laycock overdrive optional, you could wack a 4 speed with over drive and get seven speeds into it. Often you'd just find the parts at a municpal tip like I did

1960bathurst.gif

holden.itgo.com/bathurstwinners":z6i98t19 said:
The First winner was this PAX Vauxhall Cresta.
John Roxburg/Frank Coad

the first car to win the Armstrong 500 mile endurance races
http://holden.itgo.com/bathurstwinners.html

and they were just a sh!+ load stronger than the old Zephyr, but I've studied every inch of every British Ford and GM in line six cylinder part, and I can get you anything for the "Dagenham Dustbin" if you want, for a token price.

When 17 in 1987, I did my first diff swap on my PA, 3.9:1 3 speed to 3.45 4 -speed, and then did my first engine swap and engine build.

Yah 4dors!
like the 70's/80s wagies bedah, tho.

Any pic of the motor/transmis?
Same realm (L & W) as the OP's Q?

chad":1or8v1qy said:
Yah 4dors!
like the 70's/80s wagies bedah, tho.

Any pic of the motor/transmis?
Same realm (L & W) as the OP's Q?

How bout 60's wagies, mon?

Cross a Studie baker with an Olds 88 and down size it with an inline six

= Vauxhall or Envoy..... :rolflmao:

vauxhall%201960%20cresta.jpg

vauxhall%201958%206-dash.jpg

01+1961+Vauxhall.jpg

2012033162Velox-1.jpg

vauxhall-velox-friary-estate_30964.jpg

http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/VAUXHALL%201960.html":1or8v1qy said:
In August PADX Cresta gets short stroke "square" 95 bhp 2651cc engine giving 97 mph top speed. Also gets larger wheels, and redesigned fins without integral flashers, optional power assisted disc brakes, and auto option. Velox (PASX) is de- specked version of Cresta. Optional Laycock-de Normanville overdrive for both models announced in March

The Vauxhall Velox and Cresta, already given a larger engine of 2,651 c.c, producing 113 b.h.p. (S.A.E.) accompanied by bigger radiator grille and bigger brakes, is now offered with the new small Hydra-matic transmission developed for the American compact cars. It has only three speeds, but a small torque converter make first a variable-ratio gear. The same transmission is offered on the Opel Kapitan in Germany

2.651 liter/162 cube

52118e.jpg

http://www.classiccarcatalogue.com/VAUXHALL%201958.html":1or8v1qy said:
1958: Vauxhall Velox Saloon, Model PAS, is fitted with a completely new and attractive American-style body which it share with the Cresta (PAD) version and which features a full panoramic windscreen with a slope of 45 degrees, but with a slight curvature from top to bottom to reduce reflections, a three-piece rear window, miniature rear wing fins and slightly-cowled headlamps. The six-cylinder 2262-cc engine and the gearbox are modified versions of well-tried Vauxhall units. The Cresta, which is a more luxurious version of the Velox, has additional brightwork and fittings, and white-wall tyres

2.262 liter/ 138 cube

They look even better when they have their proper teeth in

27184356810_5cfd79e8d7.jpg

incredable
esp like the 2 grills, engine bay and, yes...
the wagie
NOW I C the engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCzVGjYXcc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEg1hGXJlhA

blQQdy Genetically Modified Vauxhalls....

Stock, the little 138 six did 87 mph tops, but the modifed Croad/Roxborough Armstrong 500 138 car did 105 mph at Phillip Island, much more than the 97 mph the 2.65 liter claimed.

The 3.9 axle appeared on the little 138 cubic engine as an overseas option, everyone elses 138 got stump puller 4.1's. Mine had it, for instance.

Frank Croad did lots of on the "sligh" alterations to get that 60 PA Vauxhall honkin' faster than a 2.6 liter. The engine had 3.25" bore and stroke.

Our evil banger racers used to wack the big bore 3.625" piston 3.3 Cresta/Victor/Ventora 123 hp engines in them; the steel crank four bearing engine loved better carburation, Chevy pistons and if you could make a Triple Weber or a Cain Twin SU intake manifold to match the 12 ports heads huge flow capacity, the 3.3 was an exceptionally strong and powerfull engine. There was wall thickness to go 125 thou over 3.756" 305 V8 or Chrysler 245 pistons if you were game.

Its a shame you guys drive on the wrong side of the road, otherwise more parts would be available to us in the USA.
Our small six is just an economy engine, where you folks produced it as a performance engine like the stuff from Argentina.
Price of fuel sure changes a market.

Theres lots of them around in Canada, as Envoys.....you just don't realise what the heck they are...

somewhere I posted a video of a red and white 1959 Canuk Cresta on the Orphan in lines....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=76983&p=592598&hilit=Vauxhall#p592598
xctasy":3047iv1z said:
My 1958 PA Vauxhall Velox had enough American AC Delco parts in it to function even if the Lucas igntion started to go on Holiday...but I've dabbled with the Dark Side of Lucas enginneering...

See how others do it...http://www.bsccoc.ca/2012-FrechettesCrestas.php

half of them exported to 83 countries
David Wood found a bunch of em up North

Here it is running after 30 years idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxfsuOyCkMk

The poms love the Trans-Atlantic syling. Even if they don't like the US Brexiting first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKqaR68Qqdw

This is the last of the line 1976 3.3 PC Cresta/ FE Ventora engine with a GM 180 "Strasbourg" Trimatic 3 speed auto, viscous fan, alternator and power steering pump.

Found under a hedge.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-1tx0j5-E

another old standard yrad find

the old siamese port pre 1955 engine...after 1954, all Vauxhall sixes were 12 port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlQG75fNbX8

Thank goodness your US gas was cheap, is all I can say.....

99 % of Gargoles look like Bob Todd (and Vauxhall Velox/Crestas)

If you ever wondered how
You get triangles from a cow
You need b***er, milk and cheese
And an equilateral chainsaw
In debt I owe someone a fiver
Maybe I should try my hand at drag
James Dean was just a careless driver
And Marilyn Monroe was just a s***

99% Of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd

Thank you for all the replies, seems the ford L6 is 1.9 inches longer than the Vauxhall 6, and the bellhousing on the ford is 1.9 inches shorter :LOL:

This turned out to be an interesting thread, good read (y) :thanks:

2 posts is just a beginning, sir.
stick round and enjoy,
I'll look 4ward toid!
:beer:

Odmark91":2ayow5tt said:
Thank you for all the replies, seems the ford L6 is 1.9 inches longer than the Vauxhall 6, and the bellhousing on the ford is 1.9 inches shorter :LOL:

This turned out to be an interesting thread, good read (y) :thanks:

The 58-59's had none of the extra room in the nose as the radiator was large and the nose curved over.

You could fit a Vauxhall 3.3 or 2.6 in them as my mates did. The radiator just got put in the fornt side of the radiator suport, 55 Chevy 6 cylinder style.

The next year, in preperation for the planned even bigger 162, the 138 got the later front end pressing and hood. The radiator is best replaced by a Skyline item, it liberates the most space.

In NZ and the UK, the Rover 3500 V8 was an easy and popular swap, and they just stole a Rover 3500 radiator or Falcon or Cortina 6 radiator.

The V8's had to be pushed right far forward due to the English disaster...building the car around the engine.

In addition to the Buick 215, the similar sized 289 and 302 SB Fords, and the 2.8 Cologne and 2.5/3.0 Essex V6's were also common swaps. Same deal...engine pushed right far foward and mounted high up in the chassis to clear the h-u-g-e Burman steering box and terriable kinked firewall which wasn't flat and simple like a 48-215 or FX Holden.

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77073
xctasy":2ayow5tt said:
https://fordsix.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74460&p=573343#p573343
Radiator. 64 200 ranchero found an old Nissan Maxima radiator for his early Falcon 200.

NissanG20radiator4of4.jpg

NissanG20radiator3of4.jpg

Same as my AWD Stagea's

IMG_8761.jpg

The good thing is Nissans rust, and can donate a plastic radiator for little money...

IMG_8676.jpg

Incidently, the whole car was designed for a Damiler SP250 2.5 Liter V8, but at the last moment, the plans got panned by GM. The axle is the same as the Jag Mark II, an HA series 8.5" Jeep/AC Cobra center in live axle form.

Biggest issue is just the rust. Since the 61-62's had the otion of Power glide or Hydramatic, the 62 Crestas especially were a heck of a lot stronger, and had an extra cross member to tie the whole structure back together, the early 58-59's were weaker and the updates were all postive. The later PB and PC Vauxhalls were the best banger racers out...you could knock off a whole heard of Holdens in a night, and the engines just wouldn't die. And the gas tank was hidden behind the passanger seat, Holden Gemini style.

Only other issues are the cost of rebushing the king pins in the Independent Front Suspension, as its not an HD/HR Holden style front end with ball joints. Its IFS is very reasonable, and there are parts around, you just gotta look.

The early PA had 4 turns look to lock steering with a tight turning circle. Later ones were lower geared to cope with the heavier engines. The Falcon engine is much lighter than the later 2.6 and 3.3 Vauxhall engines, so an earlier steering box is an okay swap.

The spring rates and dampers can be stiffened a lot if you wish, and later model anit roll bars fit in.

1976-1986 SD1 3500's, Rover P6 and BMC 1800 Tasmin/Kimberly mag wheels have the same wheel PCD.

A set of Vitesse 3500 mag wheels just fit, since the track is very narrow.

MGB GT front disc brakes have a Ferrari 108 mm four stud knock off capable front disc brake. GM used the MGB GT front discs and a VH25 brake booster, and early VH44 from the Hillman Hunter and Arrow and some Australian XR Falcons with disc brakes.

The update to 1962 spec 2.6 discs is to be recomended. Later PB/PC IFS and brake systems are similar, but the whole mounting system differs, and the front ends have ball joints.

For brake circuits, you have nay number of options, and the hydraulic clutch doesn't have to remain if you need space. Australian Fords didn't use the Z bar clutch, they used the PBR slave cylinder, so you can kill two birds with one stone if you are looking at a 200 Falcon engine swap.

Pre 65's give you a lot of scope.

I like Vokies, they are really different, but Ford stuff is so much nicer to work on, and everyone in Europe and Kiwi Land looked to the simplier US or Geramn/English V6 swaps because they were easier to service and access.

If you find an old 2.6 though, they are a heck of a lot tougher and as long as you don't have the porus awfull alloy 1-bbl intake and exhasut system, with twin or triple carbs and a New Old Stock header for a 3.3 Victor or PB/PC Vauxhall, even a 12 port 2.6 can simply scream. It can take a Trimatic if you find the ealier GM 180 THM bell housing common to all 1971 to 1977 3.3 Vauxhalls.

The Vauxhall 3.3 is simply the best four bearing in line six cylinder engine ever made, but its heavy and needs elocution lessons.

The seven bearing Ford 200 six way is lighter, and so compact. It has way more latent potential these days than the very heavy 3.3 Vauxhall engine.

Enjoy your project.

Back