Timing issues (long)

The Blue Box

Ok. Here we go. Same guy who posted about valves hitting the plugs. Solved that by finding some that would be positioned right when torqued. So the motor, a 66 200, has had its head cut .060 and had its block 0 decked and has its 1 barrel boss hacked off for a weber 38 2 barrel to be brazed on. I dont know what compression ratio that comes out to. Maybe someone can tell me. Anyways ive been struggling with high rpm detonation. -side note this motor is in an econoline so i can adjust the timing on the fly- So if im cruising along with the motor running at a high rpm (no overdrive) ill get the pinging detonation sound. Ok i reach down next to me and back the timing off a bit then its fine. Okay. Then i slow down still in 3rd gear (manual) and give it gas. POW! Flames through the intake. Ok then i give it advance and its fine -at lower rpms that is. Basically a never ending cycle of adjusting the timing. So i figure it needs more advance down low but less advance up high. So my first thought is to change out the mechanical advance springs for some heavier ones. I bought a kit for a gm hei dizzy and the springs seemed to be the same. Anyways the problem persisted but showed some signs of improvement. My distributor is a mallory unilite optical. Another side note. Im running this all on the highest octance available in my area. -although i did run it on 100ll aviation gas. Which it did quite a bit better on. But im trying to get this thing to like pump gas.

What is your cranking compression?? Hot engine, plugs removed & throttle WOT.
What is your initial advance?? Total centrifugal advance @ what rpm? How much vacuum advance in degrees???
This is the only way anyone can help without putting the distributor on a tester.

wsa111":3e6kq1ey said:
What is your cranking compression?? Hot engine, plugs removed & throttle WOT.
What is your initial advance?? Total centrifugal advance @ what rpm? How much vacuum advance in degrees???
This is the only way anyone can help without putting the distributor on a tester.
Im going to see if i can get a compression tester soon. And as for a timing light. I was able to get one reading before it broke. (cheap crappy light) it seemed to take a while for the advance to kick in slowly giving it more throttle from an idle. I guess i do need to get the equipment to produce data before i go asking questions.

'S OK, we'll get ya there, just slo'n steady...

Back