Is my carb too small?

Shelly6

200 D8 head. 2v conversion. Full treatment. Milled .075.

Will have mild-moderate cam. Something like a 264. Will have DSII, headers. Zero decked block. Probably stock dished style pistons.

Compression should be right about 9.5. I live at 6000 feet so I'll use flat top pistons if it seems like a good idea. Don't want to get carried away but again, 6000 feet, and I can get 91 octane.

Will end up with a T-5 and 3.73 gears.

I want a relatively civilized idle but lots of low end torque. Stop light to stop light. Zero to the speed limit as quick as want.

The carb I found is a 1.08 Autolite. I wanted a 1.14. should I continue the search for 1.14 or is 1.08 good for my build and elevation?

:beer: you have a good build plan and the 1.08 is perfect for your desired low end torque. Good luck (y) :nod:

Hi, as Bubba said, just use the carb you have. If another carb comes along to try, try it.
The concern with piston choice is dished pistons are less prone to detonation.
Good luck

Howdy Shelly:

Did we already have this conversation? OR is this Dejuvu all over again. A 1.08 is actually better as the 1.14 has built in metering that is richer- idle, transition and power valve. GIven your altitude I'd reccommend a 1.08 for your build. A 1.08 will run cleaner and smoother. What size jet is in your carb? THe difference in CFM between the two is negligible. Once you have the rig together and you feel the need for more higher rpm performance consider a 1.21 from a Ford with a 351 V8.

I also reccommend a 3.5:1 rear end ratio. With the low 1st gear of all T5s and a 3.7:1, 1st gear will be almost useless.

Dished pistons are a better idea. And given your maching choices again go with dished pistons.

Did you specify a back cut on the intake valves in your head work?

Keep it coming.

Adios, David

Lets jump ahead to piston choice. You stated a 264 camshaft. If the duration is over 214 @ .050" go with the flat top pistons. Since you are going to zero deck it that will cut down the chance of detonation. The final factor is your altitude.
At 6000' that will lower your cranking compression.
Ford tempo flat top pistons have the wrist pin .090" offset vs .060" for the dished pistons. The plus is it will give you more low end, but will increase cylinder wall loading slightly.
You can also go with a little more cam with a 112 L/C & advance it 4 degrees to get back your low end & still have a decent idle. When you decide on cam choice get the springs from the cam grinder.
I agree with David the 3.50 gear would be a better choice. Let me know on your chosen combo for DS11 curving. Bill

David,

Jets are 48s

Hot Vega did the head of that helps. 3 angle valve job with the backcut on both intake and exhaust. Larger 1.5 exhaust valves installed. I went for the port divider.

Back