144/170 Headers

adamscm

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted--my 62 Comet with rebuilt 144 is doing fine. My question--has anyone here installed headers on a 60-63 Comet (or Falcon)? What brand/tips do you recommend? Not looking for high performance, but wouldn't mind squeezing out an extra hp or two. Thanks, Chris

Hi again Chris,
C Matt at vintage inlines. com, Many of us use him as he caters to all the i6 "Falcon" (Thriftypower) motors 1960 -'96. They R a 'shorty' design (HP not tq). The "long tube" is harder to find these days altho reommended for tq. Headman (well known co.) stopped production, I believe. Don't mean U cant getem.
8^0

There's some on fleebay w/much the same (identical?) design to Matt's. He uses the same that Mike W, this site's founder used. There's specs or write up in the archive (wrench/screw driver icon above) Mike left us -before passing on (RIP, brother man & thanks for all you've done!).

Many also use the 'port divider' as well when going w/the 'pipes'. Weld it in that big 3 / 4 cyl port.
(y)

Pipes R not a great power increase (5%?, 5 HP?) but sure look/sound nice.

I have the 'speed daddy' dual outlet ebay ones installed on my 170 in the '62 i had to due some enlarging of the mounting bolt holes to make it fit correctly but it wasnt much after that install was a snap didnt have any issues and still dont they sound pretty great if you ask me, they are a tight fit i did install them from the top much easier to do with out the head on and then put them in and install the head but can be done with head on or underneath but i didnt have the room for that so from the top they went, i will say that some of the bolts are hard to get to, and the pass side shock tower may get scratched during install and will be only about 1/2" from one of the header tubes but other than that with the high starter motors like ours they fit fine theres a decent amount of clearence around the stater itself, about 3/4 from what i could tell and they even cleared the orginal generator so i would say go for it!

Back