Thread sealer on bolts

65 Mustang

Hi. My cylinder head has been at the machine shop for close to two months now. Hopefully I'll be getting it back soon. In the meantime, I'm planning out the install. From what I understand, the number 1 and 6 head bolts require a water sealant as they go through the water jacket. I just want to be clear as to which bolts are the 1 and 6 bolts. Is it the 1 & 6 bolts on the passenger side of the cylinder head with 1 being the closest one to the front of car? Thanks

The RF head bolt is the only one that needs sealer. Make sure if using studs the RF head stud does not hit the water pump impeller. If so just grind 1/8" off.
If you are installing a later model head & have milled .070 off grind the trough at the LR head bolt area so you get plenty of oil the the rear rocker arm stand.

wsa111":7p24qfqn said:
If you...have milled .070 off (the head) grind the trough at the LR head bolt area so you get plenty of oil the the rear rocker arm stand.
U can C a Kidney shaped depression there. The milling (if deep enuff) can narrow the oil passage thru head/block & disrupt lube oil frm crankcase to head & back down - the great circle.
Get "the Handbook" - it shows all this and more (I like the 'staged process' on upgrade performance as this way I can drive NOW & spend as I have it). 'S got some great pic of this and the H2O pump head bolt issue (an anomoly ford sorta built in). Use the special goop in the tube, not the tape like thread sealer. The auto goop will take the heat and H2O.
:nod:

Ok. Thanks for replys. The head is a '66, so not a late model. The machinist is taking 20 thousandths (.02) off. I read in the Ford shop manual about bolt number 6; that's why I brought it up. So passenger side front is bolt one. That's what I thought. Thanks for verification.

Hi, yes that front head bolt goes right into the water jacket, take a look before you put the head on. As mentioned, There is a concern over the bolt going too deep and hitting the water pump. Check it out before the pump goes in. Most guys used hardened washers under the head bolts anyway. The Falcon Performance Handbook has some recommendations on washers.
Don't forget thread sealer on the flywheel bolts. If the flywheel bolt holes go all the way through the flange, they also need sealer.
Good luck

Does anyone have a picture of the trough/kidney shaped depression around the RF head stud? I don’t see it so I’m assuming it was milled off. Thanks

HopinHerl":3rud176b said:
Does anyone have a picture of the trough/kidney shaped depression around the RF head stud? I don’t see it so I’m assuming it was milled off. Thanks
The head bolt is the drivers side rear. The RF bolt or stud is the only one exposed to coolant.
For you guys that drive on the wrong side of the road it is the left side of the engine at the rear. Thats where you need to grind the trough that supplies oil to the rocker arm shaft in the head.
If you are running the 1.65 full roller rocker arms Yella-Terra you need to tap the oil passage in the block & install a pipe plug to prevent oil to the left rear headgasket area. The headgasket cannot hold the line oil pressure. If you don't block this the headgasket will leak.

"...I’m assuming it was milled off..."
no, it goes all the way thru (so oil can B pushed up by the oil pump (yes way down the bottom of the block - it squirts through out the motor & back down to oil pan) so can't B removed). Ur guy did such a light mill pass that I think it's less of a concern. The concern is that the milling (of 1 surface) 'dis - aligns' the passage frm one spot (the 'deck') from meeting the other (a 2nd passage up into the head, to lube the rockers, etc). Ask if I'm not clear, U don't have the pic in the Handbook, or want more info...
(no Handbook? ck the above "Tech Archive". It may have a pic in one of the articles in there).

If the hole was straight, perpendicular thru, milling would not "misalign' the two, but is sorta 'across' instead. As Bill sez - U hafta grind a lill line (or puddle) in there (actually probably not you) to allow the path to go thru the head-joining-block area.
:nod:

Back